The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX7 and Leica R 80mm Summilux?

dave.gt

Been a long time, due to my wife having a stroke and back-to-back surgeries, but I am back...this time with a question about the best digital camera for the price to use with the 80mm Lux.

I can pick up a like-new NEX7 for $700. Do I need an adaptor? If so, where can I get one and how much?

Okay, more than one question ;)...is this the best camera for under $1k to use with either M or R mount lenses?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance....:)

pegelli

"Best" is very judgemental. it's certainly the one with the highest resolution and otherwise also high IQ.

If you're also considering M wide primes the NEX 6 will give you better corner performance, but at a lower resolution, 16 MP so still not small

You'll need separate adapters for both M and R lenses.

dave.gt

"Best" is very judgemental. it's certainly the one with the highest resolution and otherwise also high IQ.

If you're also considering M wide primes the NEX 6 will give you better corner performance, but at a lower resolution, 16 MP so still not small

You'll need separate adapters for both M and R lenses.
Thank you for that...I have heard that Fotodiox adaptors are fine...but what is stopped down metering with an NEX7? Is this or any adaptor okay with using the 80 Lux wide open?:confused:

Michiel Schierbeek

Lots of Adapters are for sale on Ebay. I mostly use cheap Pixco adapters, they work fine.
Just type Leica R to NEX and there you go.

Shac

Dave - stopped-down metering in the case of the Nex with an adapter, means you set the lens to the desired f-stop to take the exposure reading (use the "A" setting - aperture preferred). The EVF adjusts brightness accordingly - so the view does not go dark. I have the Nex-5N and 6 and they both work extremely will with MF lenses of all persuasions.
Good luck

dave.gt

Wow..this is all very helpful! Thanks so much.

I assume/presume that the 80 Lux will be more like a 120 and a stop slower on the NEX7, correct?

So, now...maybe I should pick up a nice NEX5 for less money and try it out?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
i use the 80 lux on my NEX7. I have 2 ebay adapters, but I have noticed that one does not reach infinity, so check that out on your adapter when you get it.

I like having the viewfinder to use with magnification to really nail the thin DOF wide open. I would miss that using a NEX without a viewfinder.

Yes, the NEX has a 1.5x crop, so it is more like a 120 on the NEX. It is nice for portraits. You do not lose a stop.

f/otographer

Dave, not sure what your total budget is, but you may want to consider a NEX 6 or 7 with a Leica R NEX Speedbooster. Then there is pretty much no crop factor to the NEX and your lenses angle of view remain true to what they are supposed to be. Plus your lenses are one stop faster. There is a vibrant thread right now in the forum with many examples and experiences from users. I have a C/Y to NEX speedbooster myself and love it. Wouldnt consider going back to not using it.

And Cindy is right, if you are going to get a NEX get one with the intergrated VF, meaning the 6 or 7.

Here is the link to the Metabones site, makers of the Speedbooster. A quick google search will turn up many favorable review as well. If you already have some Leica R lenses this is a great way to go.

W

wbhstlouis

Dave,

Just my 2 cents but the 80 lux is a relatively big/heavy lens, at least compared to the NEX5n body that I have. Maybe because the focus on my copy is a bit stiff but I did not find it a very comfortable combination. I decided to Leitax my 80 lux and use it on a Sony alpha mount instead - you get in body IS this way as well. For the NEX5n I find my Contax G 90 Sonnar a better match. Obviously others find the NEX/80 Lux combination works well for them so don’t take my comments too negatively.

Bill

V

Vivek

Get the 6 and forget the 7. None are the "perfect cams" for the 80 Summilux.

dave.gt

Wow! Fantastic responses and each one very helpful! Thank you all for the input...things like the Speedbooster, where else would I find out about that?

Where is the current active thread with examples and experiences as mentioned by f/otographer?