The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100s or RX1

processedmeat

Hi all, just wondering if I can pick your brains...I'm having a really hard time deciding between the two cameras. I've read everything about the two and its making the decision even more difficult. Assuming that I can get a RX1 for $2100 and the X100s for regular price, which would you pick?

On one hand, the RX1 has the edge in IQ but is it worth $800 more than the more than capable X100s? The FF sensor, the top notch lens is certainly drool worthy. I'm a little worried about the AF as it is fine for some people and for others its been a disappointment. I'm an lcd shooter so I don't miss the viewfinder.

On the other hand, the X100s is smaller, more compact which is a big plus. I prefer the high contrast and rich saturation look which is OOTC with the Fuji.

I have an RX100 that my wife isn't impressed with my shots with it and an A37 to handle all of my sport shooting needs. I'll be using it as my portable take everywhere camera so size does matter. I had a Nex5 with the Zeiss before and even though it was small, I tended to grab the RX100 on the way out of the door.

So does anyone have experience with both? Thanks for your help!

philip_pj

I always look for keywords in questions like this.

The ones here are: 'more than capable', 'worried about the AF', 'a big plus', 'OOTC' and the killer line is: 'prefer the high contrast and rich saturation'.

So buy the Fuji. Go!

Phil the RX1 owner, with a very different set of priorities.

processedmeat

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I keep going back and forth on this one.

Having never had a FF camera before, will I be missing something with the APS-C sensor in the X100s?

pophoto

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I keep going back and forth on this one.

Having never had a FF camera before, will I be missing something with the APS-C sensor in the X100s?
Wow, I've never heard it that way before!
With full frame, you only ever hear, better noise handling, which the RX1 is superb at, true focal length (35mm is 35mm) and not wider distortion with crop, also true aperture DOF. The RX1 has probably, and in my opinion has the best 35mm lens, and is mated perfectly to the camera that makes it extremely sharp lens when used properly!

I think the X100s will exceed the RX1 in focus acquisition speeds and enough change in your pocket to travel somewhere nice to take advantage of the camera. In good light, you probably won't able to tell a lot apart in the photos unless you are printing larger than A4 or pixel peeping. The bonus of the X100s will be that it's using newer X-trans sensor, generation 2 (compared to old) and you have a built in viewfinder. There was a lot to like in the original X100 except in speed and not enough wow factor in the sensor and lens for me. The RX1 can deliver in image quality, but ultimately is 35mm the right focal length for you and is money a concern.

To be honest the AF is fine in the RX1 but hunts in moderate lighting already but not impossible to lock. It's not a sports camera or for running kids. You should really try both before spending that sort of money, although I know it gets harder to do these days!

If your wife isn't impressed with your RX100 shots, is she blaming the camera or you? :p

Shashin

You will never miss something you have no experience with. Buy the Fuji. I am sure you will be happy with it.

From an RX1 owner that will be selling his camera, as soon as they pry it from my cold, dead hands...