The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX7 + Samyang 500mm/6.3

Jim DE

Hot how is it at a distance......... I have seen those on e-bay but honestly you are the first person I have seen who likes them. Most seem disappointed with their results. I have to admit those pics look good but your pic's always do.

hot

@Lonnie
mount is T2 - you get T2 adapters for ALL cameras - price of my Canon adapter was $4.60 incl.ship. from China. T2 for NEX is $7.49, ...
For me T2-Canon is enough, because I have Canon adapters for m4/3, NEX, NX ..
With three little screws you can adjust "up" for your camera with a small allen wrench. Necessary only once.

@Jim
it's best if you use a tripod, focussing must be very accurate - no problem with NEX and others.

I have since > 20 years a Makinon 500mm/f=8, but with KonicaAR mount - usable with mirrorless cameras, but not with DSLRs (like my Canons). T2 mount you can use with ALL cameras. Even with 2x converter for €25-€40 - sure not best quality - and you get 1000mm.

Reading amazon.de there are few diappointed people (what do they await from a $100 lens?) but most are delighted, found reality better than bad rumors.

I think Samyang (my lens is "Walimex pro") is available as Rokinon, Opteka, Vivitar and so on.
I bought if from amazon.de for € 88.90 ... then each day it was more expensive, one week later € 161 :mad:

500mm/6.3 - of course few depth of sharpness ... but with NEX7 NO PROBLEM :p

Last edited:

hot

It is pleasant to use a tripod, but a tripod even moves in light wind, flowers also move.
You must choose focus very precisely, depth of field is very small - it's easy with NEX5 or NEX7

mazor

nice Hot, I think I may be convinced to getting one of these amazing lens. Do you have any links to full resolution shots taken using the Samyang 500 with with nex7?

Would love to see the full IQ of this lens

hot

3 photos, original, from yesterday.
distance ~ 5 meters, light tripod, windy.

Zippyshare.com - NEX7_Sam500.rar <------

Samyang 500mm/6.3 has T2 mount. I use T2-NEX adapter ... or WITH tripod mount a combination T2-EOS + EOS-NEX (with tripod mount).

mazor

thanks for the shots Hot, excellent shots, although when you zoom in 1:1 all that clarity disappears. It seems this lens is a soft focus lens? Guess you cannot expect too much considering the price of the lens

hot

Of course you cannot await extrem sharpness from a lens for € 88.90 - but photos are

1) 6000x3376
2) only a small tripod (better than freehand, hehe)
3) it was windy (tripod moves, flower moves)
4) very small depth of field
5) mirror lens

For viewing 1920x1080 - or printing - it is enough :)

hot

Today arrived sun hood for Samyang ... from India, $15.99
Now I am waiting for 95mm pol filter ($16.99) from China.

mazor

nice accessories for your Samyang Hot, the filters and hood takes a big percentage of the cost of the lens lol