The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX Hybrid Autofocus and LA-EA1 vs. 2 Adapters

engel001

Newer NEX cameras such as the NEX-5R now have hybrid autofocus on sensor, i.e. both phase and contrast detection. My interest is in using Minolta/Alpha SLR lenses. Doesn't this technology eliminate the need for the bulky and expensive LA-EA2 adapter with the built-in mirror? The older LA-EA1 however isn't capable of tranmitting autofocus signals to the lens, is it? Shouldn't there be a simpler adapter without the bulky mirror of the LA-EA2 which takes advantage of the new autofocus technology?

Lonnie Utah

Newer NEX cameras such as the NEX-5R now have hybrid autofocus on sensor, i.e. both phase and contrast detection. My interest is in using Minolta/Alpha SLR lenses. Doesn't this technology eliminate the need for the bulky and expensive LA-EA2 adapter with the built-in mirror? The older LA-EA1 however isn't capable of tranmitting autofocus signals to the lens, is it? Shouldn't there be a simpler adapter without the bulky mirror of the LA-EA2 which takes advantage of the new autofocus technology?
What the LA-E2 adds to the LA-EA1 in addition to the translucent mirror is an autofocus motor to turn the screw drive autofocus mechanism in your older Minolta/Alpha lenses. It doesn't matter what kind of AF signals an adapter sends to a lens if there's no physical mechanism to make the focusing mechanism move. The LA-EA1 will only autofocus alpha mount lenses that have a SSM or SAM motors in them. Looks for those designations of the Alpha Mount Lenses.

Here's a list.
Supported A-mount Lenses
The SAM and SSM lenses support auto focus when used with the NEX camera and the LA-EA1 Mount Adapter (sold separately).

SAM Lenses
DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM (SAL1855)
DT 28-75mm F2.8 SAM (SAL2875)
DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM (SAL55200-2)
DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM (SAL30M28)
DT 35mm F1.8 SAM (SAL35F18)
DT 50mm F1.8 SAM (SAL50F18)
85mm F2.8 SAM (SAL85F28)

SSM Lenses
Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM (SAL1635Z)
Vario-Sonnar T* 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM (SAL2470Z)
Distagon T* 24mm F2 ZA SSM (SAL24F20G)
70-200mm F2.8 G (SAL70200G)
70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM (SAL70300G)
70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM (SAL70400G)
300mm F2.8 G (SAL300F28G)
In addition to the list above, there are a few third party lenses that have AF motors in them that may or may not work with the LA-EA1. For example, my siggy 70-200mm f/2.8 has a AF motor in it, and the LA-EA1 will move the focusing elements, but it never achieves autofocus lock.

mazor

May I ask how fast does A mount lens autofocus using the LA-E1? As it has not phase based AF system, it is probably fully reliant on the contrast based AF?