The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tiny old lenses on NEX'

Godfrey

Thanks, Godfrey. :)

I was on a mad mission >10 years ago to collect a lot of information about many lenses. That cost a lot. Not at all easy. Plus, I have a room full of books on optics. :)

I asked about your Schneider (Robot) lens in another thread. If that (30mm f/5.6, a Tessar clone) has a variable focus setting possibility, it would make a splendid lens on the 6 (on a 7, it would have color shift issues). There are ready adapter possibilities.

Is that a "beamtenobjektiv"?
Didn't see the other thread. Been pretty busy, missing a lot of stuff lately.

The compact Schneider 30mm lens is actually an f/4, designed for the East German secret police. The aperture is fixed, it has adjustable focus from infinity to "R" (reprographic, for document copying). The focusing mount has four marked positions. It's a very cool, very flat and tiny thing, very nice quality for the optimized range from close to middle distance.

Problem is that it's not a standard lens mount fitment. To fit it to the Star 50, you unbolt the standard Robot lens mounting flange and replace it with the lens using three longer screws. That makes it a little difficult to adapt to other cameras ... but of course, anything can be done with enough effort.

G

mazor

Shac, Pen F lens are really good, the 40mm f1.4 penf is a remarkable lens. I have that frequently mounted on my 5n as a compact fast aperture all purpose lens.

Nice shots Vivek, I see you also have a Hawks helicoid. It is a must for any M lens mounted on the Nex as it give amazingly good close ups. I use one with my 15mm Heliar and it gets about 1:2 closeups

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek, if you ever wanted to sell that Zeiss 32/4, I would be honoured to buy it from you (or the Lietz 35/4.5, for that matter)!

I have been revisiting the MS-optical Perar 35 images made on the NEX 7; lovely, and the compactness is in the same order as these two of yours. I only sold the MS last year because the focussing experience (via the NEX 7's EVF) was not pleasant, for me—it almost felt like my eye was being "squeezed" by having to look through it. No such problems with the NEX 6, so am looking to re-make this incredibly compact combination, and the 45-50 EFOV is my favourite (as mentioned many times).

V

Vivek

Vivek, if you ever wanted to sell that Zeiss 32/4, I would be honoured to buy it from you (or the Lietz 35/4.5, for that matter)!

I have been revisiting the MS-optical Perar 35 images made on the NEX 7; lovely, and the compactness is in the same order as these two of yours. I only sold the MS last year because the focussing experience (via the NEX 7's EVF) was not pleasant, for me—it almost felt like my eye was being "squeezed" by having to look through it. No such problems with the NEX 6, so am looking to re-make this incredibly compact combination, and the 45-50 EFOV is my favourite (as mentioned many times).
Kit, I take as a compliment and thank you for it. I can help assemble your own with a Summar 35/4.5. :)

That 32/4 is a hen's tooth. Even Zeiss for one of their own articles (see: http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/en_CLB_40_Nasse_Lens_Names_Planar.pdf) did not have a sample to show and instead have shown a 32/5.6 (a fixed aperture) S-Planar! ( I have that fixed aperture sample as well but only for own use).

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek, it was a compliment!

I have bought an MS-Perar in the meantime, and a Hawk's helicoid M-E adapter—but definitely will take you up on your offer re, the Leitz Summar 35/4.5 when one is found—I would love to compare it to the Perar. Knowing me though, I'd end up keeping both!

Thank you.

BTW, if anyone's wondering about the new Siggy 60/2.8 re, bokeh and sharpness, here's two quick ones I took this p.m.:

and a crop:

re, magnification (see whiskers); at the pixel limit of the camera, but considering I have sharpness and contrast dialled down (-1 contrast, saturation, and sharpening) for video, not too shabby, really. Definitely a keeper.

Godfrey

I just received the pair of adapters that will allow me to use my pre-1940, uncoated Zeiss 40/2 and 38/2.8 lenses from the Robots on the GXR or M9.

I did some quick tests with the 38/2.8 on the GXR: it shows all the lovely softness of uncoated lens flare ... There's a magic to the rendering of these lenses that is quite different from modern coated lenses, the images look totally unlike what comes out of the Color Skopar 35mm f/2.5 P2.

Tomorrow I'll take them out for a walk, I think. :)

G

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Well, tiny, anyway. This MS Perar is a natural fit with the Hawk adapter:

It focusses down to 12" (or a bit less; I have not had time to accurately measure this).

Here's the unlit fire in front of me:

and a detail at 100%:

I have a CV 35/2.5 coming this week; if anyone's interested, I could do a comparison (they really are not too different in size, considering the profile on the NEX body; my feeling is that if a lens does not come out much past the grip, AND is light, then it's a candidate for a walk-around setup). And the CV will fit on my other Hawk adapter, too.