The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Removing NEX CFA filter

V

Vivek

I saw this a while ago ... looks kind of scary though
DIY Monochrome Camera
Thanks for the link!

After 5+ years of experience and unspeakable amount of cash spent, my only suggestion on that route is- AVOID.

AFAIK, only one has done a NEX successfully and it will be available as a service for any/ everyone, once they publish the details. It will be revealed when they are ready to do that. My part in that was to offer encouragement and provide some initiative. I hope to get hold of one monochrome NEX in my hands soon and use it myself.

I will venture to say that I have seen samples from a first such sample and looks nice and clean- totally a professional job. :)

Gbealnz

OK, I've tried it briefly, and yes the files are nice.
Before I get too euphoric though, I need to try opening the RAW files with something other than the Sony software, as I feel it is applying the demosaicing process. If this is detrimental to the "result" then I'd rather not use it.
DCRAW is one program that I've heard about, but I am in the dark as to how to use it.
Anyone want to walk me through this please.
Gary

V

Vivek

OK, I've tried it briefly, and yes the files are nice.
Before I get too euphoric though, I need to try opening the RAW files with something other than the Sony software, as I feel it is applying the demosaicing process. If this is detrimental to the "result" then I'd rather not use it.
DCRAW is one program that I've heard about, but I am in the dark as to how to use it.
Anyone want to walk me through this please.
Gary
Hi Gary,

The link given by mbroomfield has links to it. I have no experience, myself.

I saw this a while ago ... looks kind of scary though
DIY Monochrome Camera
Your sample jpeg (shared outside the forum) looks gorgeous! :thumbs:

mazor

has any one does a comparison of a 5n monchrome moded version, vs a normal bayer 5n that has the raw converted to JPG?