The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX and F E lenses

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Given all of the quality issues with the M, I think this camera will seriously impact M sales if it works well with Leica lenses. The camera freezes, poor quality EVF, numerous sensor problems, and host of usability issues that Leica still has not addressed combined with a nearly 200% price difference (A7r at about 1/3 price) with higher resolution and clearly better sensor will make the M a far less attractive package. If the RX-1 is any indication, the Sony will be a rock solid performer with WiFi, built on grip, built in far superior EVF, etc. The only thing missing will be the range finder. That is a must have for only the smallest segment of the Leica market and the segment that is probably the oldest and fastest diminishing.
I quite agree! RF of the M is great and maybe the far best RF ever built. But hey, an excellent and high quality built in EVF is definitely the future - except for the Leica RF dinosaurs slowly dying out.

J

JohnW

BTW, I have been checking out how the E mount lenses would do on a FF.

Most would need minor mods.

The biggest bargain at the moment appears to be the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8. :)

I have to locate the 50/1.8 but am confident that also would be OK.
Vivek, what do you mean by "minor mods"? - John

Last edited:

ggibson

That thing is as ugly as the tech inside it is exciting. :)

Hopefully they can show some smallish lens designs with it. Based on how long it's taken the NEX line to develop its lenses, I'm not sure I'm willing to buy into this one just yet though.

V

Vivek

Vivek, what do you mean by "mods"? - John
Hi John, The baffle at the mount (a thin plastic ring in case of the 24/1.8) has to go. I am going to keep it first to try with it on the A7r and then trim it.

This baffle vignette is very obvious in case of the 30/3.5 Macro as it has a rectangular shaped one.

Uaiomex

If you ask me, I think the M body/M lens combination will be less bulky. At least easier to carry hung with a strap or to fit in a small bag comparing to the A7/M-lens combo. That VF back extension looks suspiciously uncomfortable.

Eduardo

PS Wait a minute. I just realize this camera is a film body. The digital M is a lot fatter.

K-H, As mentioned (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/542168-post1.html), GG = Ground Glass. :)

Here (from mirrorlessrumors) someone compares Leica M with the A7/r. :)

scho

I'm hoping that the camera ergonomics are better than the looks, but I'll buy it as long as there are no major IQ problems. Hoping my Contax G lenses will perform well (M mount). I've been pleased with performance of all except the 21 biogon on both the M9 and NEX 6.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't understand the "Leica will die" and "Only dinosaurs use Leica rangefinders" theories.

A friend of mine has a Mercedes Benz C55. "C55" basically means that it's a C-Class Mercedes with a twin turbo AMG 5.5 litre V8 engine. It's as fast as a Ferrari, cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, much more reliable, much more practical etc. There have been AMG versions of Mercedes Benz available since the late sixties. Has that sent Ferrari into bankruptcy? Nope. Other things almost did, but not the AMG. Ferrari is a totally different experience.

As is Leica. Objectively, the new Sonys may be better cameras, but I don't believe that will have much negative impact for Leica. What it may do is to send some Leica users back towards more conservative models, like the M9 and the MM. Then there are lenses. Any chance that there will be a Zeiss 21mm f/1.4 for the Sony soon? Or a Zeiss designed, Sony manufactured Noct equivalent? I would say the chances are approaching zero for that. So people still have to queue up to get the real exotic glass, just like they would have to queue up for the latest Ferrari.

I hope the new Sony cameras will be very successful, and if they develop into a sustainable system, I might consider buying one, but that wouldn't prevent me from buying a Leica too. If I had the money. Which I don't :)

V

Vivek

" Any chance that there will be a Zeiss 21mm f/1.4 for the Sony soon? Or a Zeiss designed, Sony manufactured Noct equivalent? "

Why make some of the most bought/sold lenses? :confused:

We have eBay or the FS section here. :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen

Never said Leica will die :)

They will sell more Leica M lenses then ever before :D
Somebody said the Leica users are dying. I don't think they are. Most of the Leica users I meet here in Thailand are young people who often start with an M3 and develop from there. There's an enormous developing market for classic style cameras in Asia.

Vivek,
Sony is selling electronic gadgets, Leica is selling dreams. Lenses like the 21 Lux and 50 Noct are, apart from being great lenses, very important parts of that dream. A Zeiss/Sony 35mm f/2.8 is nice, I'm sure, but it's not something that will keep enthusiasts awake at night ;)

V

Vivek

Vivek,
Sony is selling electronic gadgets, Leica is selling dreams. Lenses like the 21 Lux and 50 Noct are, apart from being great lenses, very important parts of that dream. A Zeiss/Sony 35mm f/2.8 is nice, I'm sure, but it's not something that will keep enthusiasts awake at night ;)
You nailed it! :)

That is why Leica will never die.

BTW, it takes a Leica nut to say that Leica will be dead. The passions involved are such! Fatal attraction! :D

Michiel Schierbeek

Not really fair to compare E-M1 (30 grams heavyer then the A7), a sturdy flagship pro camera, and conclude there is no advantage for M4/3 size wise. There are smaller M4/3 camera's out there.
Not to speak of the lenses.

DavidL

This looks like the future and the end of mirrors flapping up and down.
Mind you I'm a sucker for Zeiss lenses since my Contax days so that is a major part of my viewpoint.
Currently I'm content in Fujiland but this is the only camera I've seen that could pull me in another direction
David