The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX and F E lenses

Nettar

Vivek, I'm sure you are correct if what is required is perfection. However, for some of us, developing a new kit of "fully compatible and compact lenses" would require resources that we can't readily find. Nettar

V

Vivek

Nettar, With the advent of G1, I have gone through that process and again with the NEX. For example, i was the first one to fashion a 43 to Leica M use (personal use, of course) and I have posted it on GetDpi. It was exciting and consuming but left me with less time for photography.

I was not making a prescriptive remark about your post rather a descriptive one based on several years of experience. :)

lowep

Yep, suddenly 200 years of photography are rendered invalid by nature of not having been shot with image stabilization. :D
nope not 200 years of photography just a camera body that does not do what I had hoped it would do. fortunately there are other cameras that do and not everybody is the same.

V

Vivek

FWIW, here (Netherlands) the Sony site now says this:

Bestel nu en ontvang kosteloos het 3 Jaar Reparatie Service Plan (ILCE-7 / ILCE-7R)
If one buys it now then there is a free 3 year repair service! :thumbs:

I am not sure how this is implemented (if at all) elsewhere.

Just a quick heads-up, but there now seem to be two sets of Raw files floating around the web via SonyAlphaRumors.com, one shot with the Sony 28-70 on the A7r and the other set with the Zeiss primes on the A7r too. Don't bother wasting the ~600mb of bandwidth it takes to download them.

Even if we set aside the technical qualities of Sony's software (C1 and Lightroom don't support it yet), I have no idea why anyone let these people hold the camera let alone post the files online. Blurry, out of focus, and they're just plain bad photos; you couldn't shoot photos this bad on purpose.

What's especially baffling is you look at the shot settings and things look pretty legit - ISO100, 1/160 shutter, f/5.6 - looks like it was taken with an 8 year old point-and-shoot by a cocaine addict and scaled up to 36mp.

What I suggest is to ignore any and all looks at it's performance until two things happen:
1. Trusted sources get their hands on it.
2. Lightroom/CO7 support

V

Vivek

Hi Jono,

I only see light pinkish skies. :rolleyes:

As he says, let us see what the A7r brings.

We do need to consider that these are jpgs, although some results are crystal clear (28mm Summicron Asph, for example, a stellar lens but gives mushy corners on the A7).

Hi Jono,

I only see light pinkish skies. :rolleyes:

As he says, let us see what the A7r brings.

We do need to consider that these are jpgs, although some results are crystal clear (28mm Summicron Asph, for example, a stellar lens but gives mushy corners on the A7).
Vignetting and color cast are problems which can be easily dealt with, possibly also from inside the camera, but the very poor corner definition I have seen in the Summicron 28 samples is hopeless, at least for the A7.

V

Vivek

Thanks, K-H. :)

Exactly what I saw on GG. But it remains to be seen how it would do in actual captures.

(I am fairly confident that the 50/1.8 OSS will be fine. :) )

k-hawinkler

Thanks, K-H. :)

Exactly what I saw on GG. But it remains to be seen how it would do in actual captures.

(I am fairly confident that the 50/1.8 OSS will be fine. :) )

Thanks Vivek. That would be terrific!
So far I have been holding off ordering one of the new FF lenses.

mmbma

what's the point of releasing this kick *** camera but no fast lenses? F1.8? come on.
Yes I know it can use fast Leica and canon lenses but that's beside the point. In my mind at least a 35mm F2 and a 50mm 1.4. can't be that hard to manufacture

iiiNelson

what's the point of releasing this kick *** camera but no fast lenses? F1.8? come on.
Yes I know it can use fast Leica and canon lenses but that's beside the point. In my mind at least a 35mm F2 and a 50mm 1.4. can't be that hard to manufacture
I'm sure Zeiss will offer some faster lenses but a 55/1.8 isn't slow and neither is a 35/2.8 for that matter.

algrove

All opinions count, but it seems f1.4 or f1.2 should be offered like now. They need a flagship lens for a seemingly flagship camera.

V

Vivek

A quick look at many high res lenses that I have which would work on the A7R tells me they are all slow lenses. Slow, compact and high res. vs fast, big and fuzzy. Pick your poison. Age old debate.

FWIW, i think the A900 was the flagship Sony had. Whatever offered now is " mid level".