The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FF NEX and F E lenses

V

Vivek

Finally, the day is coming!

Leaks show a FF F-E Sonnar 35/2.8 lens, in NEX E mount.

Exciting times ahead! :)

MikalWGrass

When? Anyone have the rumored specs? Need another camera to supplement the a900 but don't know if I should go the a99 route or wait for the FF Nex. I shoot sports and moving subects primarily.

jfirneno

When? Anyone have the rumored specs? Need another camera to supplement the a900 but don't know if I should go the a99 roul te or wait for the FF Nex. I shoot sports and moving subects primarily.
Mikal, if you have been a Sony shooter for the last few years you will be familiar with this particular dance. If your acquaintance with Sony is very recent then let me give you my take on this process.

First the rumor sites will get the initial specs and timeline wrong. So for the full-frame NEX (aka NEX-9) they've been batting this one around for the last 18 months. The next step is some real info arrives that re-ignites the rumors. At this point the speculation starts incorporating real and made up details into one super product. Once again an overly optimistic timeline is floated and hopes are dashed again. Finally, the real release date sneaks up on the rumor sites and they scramble to make believe that their earlier predictions were spot on. Also as the real specs surface a lot of back-pedalling is performed to also make it seem like the real info was known all along. Bottom line, it takes about two years after the first rumors and the actual product is always different from the earlier predictions and has some oddball flaw or ommission.

Based on the NEX-9 rumors I've followed, it will be out sometime between March and September of 2014 and it will still need a few tweaks before being ready for prime-time.

Now let me just state for the record that I'm both an A-850 and a NEX-5N shooter and fervently hope that a mirrorless full-frame (NEXish or biggish) Sony is under the Christmas tree for me this year. But in my experience, the process is slow, painful and full of drama.

Regards,
John

V

Vivek

If that turns out to be true, it is very disappointing! A FF NEX with no built in EVF would be very unappealiing!

jfirneno

If that turns out to be true, it is very disappointing! A FF NEX with no built in EVF would be very unappealiing!
I'm not sure that's a NEX. It sounded like it was an RX-1 with some kind of e-mount. Shouldn't a NEX at the high end, more resemble a NEX 7 or NEX-6? I assume a built in EVF would be a given for the FF NEX.

Regards,
John

Michiel Schierbeek

There are a lot of conflicting rumors floating around behind the smoke curtains

Let the (their) Olympus engineers design a beautiful FF body with IS and viewfinder and get rid of the childish interface.
Then we have a great camera.

There are a lot of conflicting rumors floating around behind the smoke curtains

Let the (their) Olympus engineers design a beautiful FF body with IS and viewfinder and get rid of the childish interface.
Then we have a great camera.
Would be nice but a bit of a pipe dream. I don't see Olympus moving an inch off of m4/3.

Andrea over at SonyAlpha Rumors hasn't mentioned one word about this FF RX w/interchangeable lenses so I am really curious to see if it is real. With the FF NEX reported to be announced in September I don't see the benefit of an interchangeable RX with no EVF - other than a leaf shutter.

Hausen

I love my RX-1 but a FF interchangeable is a fantasy date for me. Bring it on. My A99 will be out the door.