The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 & A7R Field Test Video

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What Nikon G adapter to use on such a body. Would like full capability . This could be a nice backup to my D800E and a smaller body to travel with and not give up MPX.

My other thought is post, The D800e is not the most fun in C1 and without giving up my Nikon glass one wonders how this body will do in post. Yea my mind is thinking ahead here.

padams

Jordon - any idea what the max flash sync speed is? Unlike the RX1,which has a leaf shutter, these bodies appear to use a focal plane shutter.

Jordon - any idea what the max flash sync speed is? Unlike the RX1,which has a leaf shutter, these bodies appear to use a focal plane shutter.
It's in the link Vivek posted above - 1/160th - which is on par with most cameras with this sensor size.

I figured out the bulb mode thing myself, apparently you need to set it to M and then set the shutter speed below 30s.

What Nikon G adapter to use on such a body. Would like full capability . This could be a nice backup to my D800E and a smaller body to travel with and not give up MPX.
I don't think there any "smart" adapters yet, some will give you an aperture ring for G lenses, but no electrical contacts.

My other thought is post, The D800e is not the most fun in C1 and without giving up my Nikon glass one wonders how this body will do in post. Yea my mind is thinking ahead here.
Sony claims to be using it's own bayer filter and color processing, so who knows how this goes, the only thing this sensor has in common with the D800E is megapixel count

Rawfa

TCSJordan, great article. I have a couple of doubts for you though.

1 - Will all current APS-C e-mount lenses benefit from the A7/A7R´s new auto focus system or only the new e-mount FF lenses that were just released?
2 - Do these cameras suffer from the same overheating issues all other NEX cameras sufferd from?

TCSJordan

Nice.

A couple of things:

1. The whole world has been been wondering about how old lenses (wides and normals) plus short flange mount lenses (Leica, again wides and normals not tele) do on these. Odd that you would miss checking that (except the Canon zoom).

2. Was it last Xmas that you put out a video talking about digital FM3A? :) Do we have that in the new SOny cams?

3. Thanks for the shutter noise demo. :) They are loud beasts. A big let down (from Sony) for me.
1. Tragically, we only had a few hours with the cameras and weren't able to test out any ultrawides. I did drop on a Leica 28mm F2.8 ASPH, and there was no noticeable vignetting or corner softness. I'll test this much more when I get a production camera and RAW converter.

2. That was the Christmas special:
The Holiday Special: Christmas Fantasy Cameras - YouTube
This is probably the closest thing to a classic compact manual DSLR. Chris would still like to see one with an optical viewfinder down the road, but the Sony has the same intuitiveness for manual shooters.

3. The shutter is damned loud. A shame, maybe we'll see an electronic shutter option down the road.

jonoslack

1. Tragically, we only had a few hours with the cameras and weren't able to test out any ultrawides. I did drop on a Leica 28mm F2.8 ASPH, and there was no noticeable vignetting or corner softness. I'll test this much more when I get a production camera and RAW converter.
Well, you couldn't have been much more brutal - that lens is lovely and sharp, but it's seriously prone to vignetting and colour shift, so if it was okay, then we're looking good.

Mind you, you need a good old english sky to get the worst out of colour shift!

ps - I really enjoyed the video - thank you

ptomsu

Workshop Member

From my investigations about G adapters I could not find one which supports full capability.

BUT there is one for Canon from Metabones, which supports full capability. Which might be the end for my Nikon system - we will see :)

V

Vivek

2. That was the Christmas special:
The Holiday Special: Christmas Fantasy Cameras - YouTube
This is probably the closest thing to a classic compact manual DSLR. Chris would still like to see one with an optical viewfinder down the road, but the Sony has the same intuitiveness for manual shooters.

3. The shutter is damned loud. A shame, maybe we'll see an electronic shutter option down the road.
Thanks, Jordan. :)

I look forward to your update. I think this camera is worth making a part II.

biglouis

Good, honest appraisal. I always enjoy thecamerastore videos. If l lived in your neck of the woods I'd buy from your store!

LouisB

mazor

Nice.

A couple of things:

1. The whole world has been been wondering about how old lenses (wides and normals) plus short flange mount lenses (Leica, again wides and normals not tele) do on these. Odd that you would miss checking that (except the Canon zoom).

2. Was it last Xmas that you put out a video talking about digital FM3A? :) Do we have that in the new SOny cams?

3. Thanks for the shutter noise demo. :) They are loud beasts. A big let down (from Sony) for me.

Vivek, suspect in the not too distant future, there will implementation of the global shutter. Then you will truly have a silent shutter, but we may have to wait for the A7r ii or A9r ;)

V

Vivek

Let us hope so, mazor. The rumors site hinted that. Also with 50mp or so resolution.:shocked:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
V

Vivek

You did not and I did. There is no E mount (or any mount) to Nikon AF (G) like the Canon ones. No AF, no transfer of lens info to camera, no VR.

You did not and I did. There is no E mount (or any mount) to Nikon AF (G) like the Canon ones. No AF, no transfer of lens info to camera, no VR.
There likely isn't much demand for it... From what I gather, D800/E users often try on every lens that's not a Nikkor, so I'm guessing they're not the highlight of the Nikon system. (don't hurt me)

Mikal, evidently, using the Sony LA-EA4 adapter this camera will AF faster than the A900, and as fast or faster than the A99.
Ok, now that's cool... maybe I don't need to keep a DSLR for the fast stuff after all? "Faster than A99" needs to be put into perspective though, how fast is it compared to say... a 5D3?
Edit: And will it function the way the way it does on the A99 (focus tracking), or is it just a center focus point?

Last edited:

fotografz

There likely isn't much demand for it... From what I gather, D800/E users often try on every lens that's not a Nikkor, so I'm guessing they're not the highlight of the Nikon system. (don't hurt me)

Ok, now that's cool... maybe I don't need to keep a DSLR for the fast stuff after all? "Faster than A99" needs to be put into perspective though, how fast is it compared to say... a 5D3?
Edit: And will it function the way the way it does on the A99, or is it just a center focus point?
I believe it is multi-point auto focus.

AF comparisons camera to camera have a lot of variables ... While I never use tracking focus, I would expect Canon is better at that than Sony ... but I wouldn't really know myself. My friend has a 5D-III and the AF is better than on his previous 5D-II, but I think my A99 is just as fast or faster than his 5D-III camera.

The real variable is the lenses. Almost anything is faster than the Canon 85/1.2L, the 50/1.2L is a bit faster but not a speed-demon either. Sony lenses with the screw driven or SAM AF drive are slower than the lenses with SSM AF.

I've never seen a direct comparison on AF speed combined with accuracy.

- Marc