The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 & A7R Field Test Video

MikalWGrass

Marc,

Brian Smith is a local Miami boy who got his start shooting sports. I have read some of his reviews of other cameras and he always puts the cameras through their "sports" paces.

Even though I should hang on to the a900 I just may have to buy one of these little beasts even if it has an EVF.

I tried dragging the shutter tonight but the images were totally blown out.

January will be alot of fun.

MikalWGrass

What irks me is that I have to buy a slick adapter for the A mount lenses to work on this E system. By the time I am done the camera body will cost a shade under 3k, which is still preferable to spending 5k or close on a used M9.

Being a novice at AF tracking, I think that almost anyone using almost any kind of camera, including a film rangefinder, can track an image going parallel to the shooter. I think it takes more than a fair amount of skill to use AF when the image is coming towards the shooter. A great AF camera is useless if the shooter can't also anticipate when he / she needs to hit the shutter.

Luckily the stuff I shoot (my 8 year old son's swimming and a bit of high school swimming for my friend the swim coach) lends itself to manual focus shooting.

Tim

I've spent a lot of time with these cameras, and I'd love to hear any questions you guys have!
Hi and thanks for the offer to answer questions --

I'm curious as to if they A7/r has clean HDMI out for feeding into a hardrive recorder?
While its not a deal breaker for me, I am curious as to if its possible?

fotografz

One quick question for TCSJordan:

Does this camera have focus peaking? I can't seem to find it in the specs.

- Marc

M

mjr

I've decided I'm not going to buy it because it has an autumn leaves setting, wtf is that all about?! An autumn leaves setting!!!

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Is my line of thought wrong or will I be able to fit the Zeiss Otus 1.4/55 to the A7R?

What a combination that must be! Gulp

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
I've decided I'm not going to buy it because it has an autumn leaves setting, wtf is that all about?! An autumn leaves setting!!!
Rumor has it that this function is disabled from late November to September the following year and automatically substituted from April to early September with a green leaves setting, but the best thing is the no leave setting from December to March whereby the camera can not be operated at all. Only the A7w adapter will unlock the camera functions to work from 12-03 and comes at 299 bucks but will not be released before 31st of February 2014. ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW the 14mm Samyang on the Nikon is quite good. Loaded with distortion but PT lens corrections fixes it very easily and sharp.

M

mjr

Rumor has it that this function is disabled from late November to September the following year and automatically substituted from April to early September with a green leaves setting, but the best thing is the no leave setting from December to March whereby the camera can not be operated at all. Only the A7w adapter will unlock the camera functions to work from 12-03 and comes at 299 bucks but will not be released before 31st of February 2014. ;)
Thank god for common sense, can you imagine the fiasco shooting spring buds with an autumn leaves setting? I think the camera would explode. Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Mat

MikalWGrass

Guy, come to Miami, where you won't need that summer setting. The autumn setting will be good here because the leaves never change color.

I was really excited about the camera until I looked at the specs: 1/160 flash sync and 1.5 fps? Really? I suppose it would still be a good landscape and architecture camera with the Canon T/S lenses, I was just hoping for more.

EDIT: B&H lists 4 fps, which I might be able to live with. Let's hope that's correct.

fotografz

Invaluable feature :thumbs: :ROTFL:

May be similar to a red enhancer filter ... or better yet ... may work the same way that Nik Color Efex Pro program "Indian Summer" filter works by changing green leaves into yellows and reds without effecting skin tones.

Just shot a Fall outdoor family portrait session that was booked months ago, and on the scheduled day the leaves had yet to turn ... Nik to the rescue. Client was ecstatic, and booked me for next year!

The other feature this camera has is Sony's Sweep Pano ... in-camera jpeg output IQ was questionable on smaller sensor cameras I've used, but when I got the FF 24 meg A99 that changed. Every time I shoot one of those at a wedding or environmental portrait session, it makes it into the album or the client buys a big print.

Of course, no one has to use any "consumer" feature on any of these cameras ... but they are a lot of fun sometimes. Fun is okay occassionally isn't it? :)

- Marc