The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 or A7r

A7 or A7r

• Total voters

roanjoh

As much as I want to justify the extra pixels and lack of AA filter - the faster AF is swaying me to the A7 - and 24 mpx is more than enough for most of what I shoot.

V

Vivek

A7r

With this loud of a shutter, there is no need for an AA filter and the r does not have one. :ROTFL:

I don't think both my NEX-5N or the NEX-6 have one either (unlike the NEX-7 which does have one just like the original 5 did).

Better construction, presumably.

I really do not need AF and in the rare event I do, the A7r's AF would suffice.

I am sure there may be whole host other reasons....too many to list.

mazor

A7r. Since the Sony PDAF sensors have not really proven to be as good as it's competitors eg OMD, Panasonic, Nikon V1, one may as well get the feature which Sony is good at, and that is ultra high resolution from the A7r.

Also since Sony's FE range of lens is pretty small at the moment, I would use an A7r purely with legacy glass, which will not benefit from AF

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
None of these will be "action cameras" anyway, so A7r with more megapixels and better build quality is an easy choice :)

V

Vivek

If you want af, a7. If you want to play with old lenses, a7r.
I am not so sure anymore! Apparently, the 7 has electronic first curtain shutter and the 7r has the shot gun / loud variety. In addition, there is one report of someone who checked out both with M mount lenses reporting the A7 behaving like the NEX6 and the 7r like the NEX7. It is a bit confusing to me at the moment.

(I have already preordered the 7r)

Tim

I would choose a A7r for me. -- Most likely. The price difference is too small to make the A7 more price desirable, so it comes down to features and options.

But I feel there is no right or wrong answer here, its more a choice question. Which will function best with wide lenses may be a consideration.
I am seriously considering selling off a bunch of things to fund one. Samples of course will tell.

rayyan

A7r.

Wide angle Leica M lenses? What are those? Never used wides..Leica or anybody else's.

I struggle with 35mm and only use it if I cannot decide what is important. :D

So that is not an issue for me.

So why am I even looking at this? I don't know.

Maybe because I have mostly used Sony video and audio.

Interesting times indeed.

p.s. What with the EM-1 to read about too!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would go the A7r as a backup and travel cam to my Nikon or even take its place and get back to MF. It brings a interesting choice for me. I even thought the Oly doing that but this immediately took that option. I could easily switch my Leica 19mm r lens to Sony and also use a Nikon adapter to use my existing glass. It brings a interesting option that I did not count on.