The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 or A7r

A7 or A7r

• Total voters

mazor

I am not so sure anymore! Apparently, the 7 has electronic first curtain shutter and the 7r has the shot gun / loud variety. In addition, there is one report of someone who checked out both with M mount lenses reporting the A7 behaving like the NEX6 and the 7r like the NEX7. It is a bit confusing to me at the moment.

(I have already preordered the 7r)
Love the electronic first curtain implemented on my 5n. It takes a bit to get used to ,but then it just sounds right. Best of all, the shutter response is almost instantaneous using the electronic first curtain. Wonder what the response of the a7r will be.

It is a worry if M lens behave like the nex7, as we all know the proven better performing Sony with M lens is the Nex 5n, 5r or 5t. If the nex6 has the same config as the 5 series, then, ti too will handle wide angle M glass with ease.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You can shoot LCC as tech cam users do to elevate the color casts. Its a extra shooting step but does work very effectively.

Knorp

The A7R, especially with that sexy battery grip, could be a dreamed R10 or a future M(360).
Definitely a cheaper and probably a much better option for my R-glass than the current M(240).

Let's say that for now I'm very interested.

All the best.

Don Libby

The 7R is looking very good right now especially when thinking of using Canon lenses we already have. As much as Sandy & I like the 1dsIII it is getting past its prime in weight (weighs a ton). Sandy just spent the past month shooting nothing but the Nex7 and liked the weight difference. Being able to hike a couple miles with a very light weight body makes all the difference. The price isn't that bad either when you consider the cost of the 1dsIII when new was about triple that of the 7R.

As much as this looks good we're holding off just a little bit longer in order to let the dust settle and get the early bugs worked out at the same time hoping (but not holding our breath) that Canon will wake up.

Then again every time I think of adding yet a new camera I keep hoping that the new improved Phase camera thats been promised will eventually show its face.

k-hawinkler

The A7R, especially with that sexy battery grip, could be a dreamed R10 or a future M(360).
Definitely a cheaper and probably a much better option for my R-glass than the current M(240).

Let's say that for now I'm very interested.

All the best.

Bart,

That's the reason I am getting the A7R: R lenses.
If it also does M lenses well, that's gravy.
It actually might for most of mine, maybe even for the WATE.
Hopefully we will see reviews soon clarifying these issues.

fotografz

Hold the phone ... I changed my mind.

I'm waiting for the Hasselblad Lunatic version with a grip hacked out of Walrus tusk and Hippo foreskin covering.

If a camera isn't $9K, it isn't worth the money. :rolleyes:

- Marc

(On a serious note, I hope this isn't what Hasselblad meant when they said something unique is coming this Spring).

Knorp

Hold the phone ... I changed my mind.

I'm waiting for the Hasselblad Lunatic version with a grip hacked out of Walrus tusk and Hippo foreskin covering.

If a camera isn't $9K, it isn't worth the money. :rolleyes:

- Marc

(On a serious note, I hope this isn't what Hasselblad meant when they said something unique is coming this Spring).
The last one I know off from Sweden who was funny was a cook ... :rolleyes:

[My sincere apologies to all funny Swedes :eek:]

Kind regards.

cjlacz

If I got one it would be the 7r, for the mega pixels. I don't really need it, but 24MP doesn't offer me enough over what I've got that the way the native lenses for it are shaping up, you won't be buying it for low light shooting. (DLSRs offer more fast glass) It will be interesting to see how the lenses perform. I've got to say Sony did a nice job getting it into such a small body.

fotografz

I would go the A7r as a backup and travel cam to my Nikon or even take its place and get back to MF. It brings a interesting choice for me. I even thought the Oly doing that but this immediately took that option. I could easily switch my Leica 19mm r lens to Sony and also use a Nikon adapter to use my existing glass. It brings a interesting option that I did not count on.
Yeah Guy, who would have thunk it ... 36 meg in the palm of your hand.

Of course, if you think about it, it was probably inevitable ... Sony sells sensors to Nikon, waits a bit then uses that meg count to their own ends.

I just didn't think it'd be in a camera this small ... but that was probably inevitable also ... Sony is the one that's been pushing the envelope on big performance in a small package.

I wonder if they'll put the big sensor in an A99 type camera, or maybe the A99 SLT is the last of its kind?

Next step, no mechanical shutter, and there you have it.

- Marc

jonoslack

Hi There
Well - I can see the attraction of the A7 . . . but hey, 24mp with an AA filter isn't going to be that different from 16 without . . . . and the E-M1 has IS and lots of lenses.

So it's the A7r for me (if any - I still want confirmation about M lenses - and I'd like to know if the f4 zoom is up to scratch.

fotografz

Hi There
Well - I can see the attraction of the A7 . . . but hey, 24mp with an AA filter isn't going to be that different from 16 without . . . . and the E-M1 has IS and lots of lenses.

So it's the A7r for me (if any - I still want confirmation about M lenses - and I'd like to know if the f4 zoom is up to scratch.
Well, we already know a M50mm works ... he used one in the video to show the 36 meg resolution.

I re-read the Sony propaganda on the B&H site, and this a totally new sensor design with gapless on-chip sensor-lenses optimally positioned to accommodate the sharper angle of light from the periphery, thus releasing corner-to-corner performance with shorter flange distance E mount lenses. Sounds similar to how Leica solved the same issue.

How well it handles really wide lenses will be the question ... but they are offering a 24-70, so 24mm must be okay.

This sounds like the a7 doesn't use the same on-sensor micro-lens design as the a7r

"Differing from the Sony Alpha a7, the Alpha a7R with its omitted low-pass filter, gapless lens design sensor and contrast-detection AF provides the utmost in high-resolution, finely detailed capture".

-Marc

jonoslack

Well, we already know a M50mm works ... he used one in the video to show the 36 meg resolution.

I re-read the Sony propaganda on the B&H site, and this a totally new sensor design with gapless on-chip sensor-lenses optimally positioned to accommodate the sharper angle of light from the periphery, thus releasing corner-to-corner performance with shorter flange distance E mount lenses. Sounds similar to how Leica solved the same issue.

How well it handles really wide lenses will be the question ... but they are offering a 24-70, so 24mm must be okay.

This sounds like the a7 doesn't use the same on-sensor micro-lens design as the a7r

"Differing from the Sony Alpha a7, the Alpha a7R with its omitted low-pass filter, gapless lens design sensor and contrast-detection AF provides the utmost in high-resolution, finely detailed capture".

-Marc
HI Marc
I agree it looks good, but the fact that the 24 zoom works doesn't really mean much - it's fairly big, and will have an exit much further from the sensor.

Mind you, I'm not planning on this as even a backup for an M - I still love rangefinder shooting, and this ain't it!

all the best

V

Vivek

-Marc

Marc, You may also want to check out the LA4 Sony adapter. Apparently, A mount lenses focus FASTER with it than on the A99!

See (also Sony proxy propaganda): Field Test: Sony A7R l Brian Smith Pictures

fotografz

HI Marc
I agree it looks good, but the fact that the 24 zoom works doesn't really mean much - it's fairly big, and will have an exit much further from the sensor.

Mind you, I'm not planning on this as even a backup for an M - I still love rangefinder shooting, and this ain't it!

all the best
Agreed, and we have talked about this before ...a rangefinder, is a rangefinder, is a rangefinder.

And for me, it is the M Monochrome. Done. Couldn't be happier.

I just wouldn't mind something small to use the M lenses I already own for a few color snaps here and there ... and a $7,000 Leica M240 isn't it :)

I just pre-ordered the a7r ... Now I don't have to settle for one of those APSc Leica knock-offs.

Hope they ship it before I go on Winter vacation :thumbs:

- Marc

V

Vivek

You can shoot LCC as tech cam users do to elevate the color casts. Its a extra shooting step but does work very effectively.
That is an useful thought.

As long as it is landscape, few lenses and such, I can see why it might be worth the effort to build profiles but with very portable cams like the A7r and the infinite lens possibilities, it goes in to a different realm.

Also, this still is a mid level camera from Sony (they say so in their website).

fotografz

Marc, You may also want to check out the LA4 Sony adapter. Apparently, A mount lenses focus FASTER with it than on the A99!

See (also Sony proxy propaganda): Field Test: Sony A7R l Brian Smith Pictures
Thanks Vivek! Appreciate it.

That's good to know because in the video above he said it was slow but sure AF with Sony A mount lenses ... but I'll bet he was using the LA-EA3, NOT the LA-EA4 AND ... I think he was using a SAM AF lens not the SSM (Super Sonic Wave Motor) Sony G or Zeiss ZA lenses.

My A99 AF is pretty damned fast using SSM lenses and the camera set to speed priority, so this feed back from Brian Smith is good news. Nice back-up to the A99 for event work, and presents some interesting possibilities for other applications @ 36 meg.

Actually, my expectations from Sony seem higher than yours, but that has been based on the A900 and A99 experiences under pretty demanding conditions like weddings and events. So far so good, so we'll see how it goes with this camera.

- Marc

V

Vivek

Hi Marc, Did not mean to sound negative at all. I like the progress Sony have made and appreciate it (with my small wallet as well).

However, there are a host of issues already- the shutter (no electronic first curtain shutter in A7r while apparently it is available in A7- it makes huge difference), start up times (apparently ~2-3 s for the A7r) and the like. I hope that such issues will be taken care of by the time the camera reaches me or via a firmware update ( Sony aren't all that great coming with FW updates). Hence the reservations despite all the excitement.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Actually, if the lens doesn't shift or tilt, you can shoot one series of LCCs (one for each f-stop) and use them for all your shots. I've done this with the M9 for vignetting, although it is a very minor problem compared with tech cameras.

LCC - restoring that slow, contemplative pace so prized by photographers...:ROTFL:

--Matt