The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 or A7r

A7 or A7r

• Total voters

Ben Rubinstein

I voted A7r but - thinking about it, I'd be using it with alt lenses. Given Roger Cicala's recent blog post on adaptors and the fact that I doubt that most non modern lenses, especially when adapted can come close to actually maximising 36 megapixels, I think I'd just go for the A7. If I was using it with modern Leica or Zeiss glass and $300 adaptors it would be different but I wouldn't be.

A forum called "GetDPI" ... doesn't leave much to the imagination to which people will chose. :)

I voted A7r but - thinking about it, I'd be using it with alt lenses. Given Roger Cicala's recent blog post on adaptors and the fact that I doubt that most non modern lenses, especially when adapted can come close to actually maximising 36 megapixels, I think I'd just go for the A7. If I was using it with modern Leica or Zeiss glass and $300 adaptors it would be different but I wouldn't be.
I think a higher starting resolution would be better than having to blow up the image in post, but I guess it depends on how big you want to print, and the kinda stuff you shoot. All the A7 has over the 'r' is focus speed, which is irrelevant for your use as well, I would assume.

Actually, if the lens doesn't shift or tilt, you can shoot one series of LCCs (one for each f-stop) and use them for all your shots. I've done this with the M9 for vignetting, although it is a very minor problem compared with tech cameras.
This was my first thought, Capture One is a nice solution for edge color shifts and vignetting, so long as there is no smearing. The A7r would really benefit from some native T/S lenses, but oh sh!t, putting a Canon 17/24 TS-E on there would be sweet too.

roanjoh

Based on this poll - I shouldn't be worried about the a7 selling out! LOL! It seems everyone (or most everyone) wants the a7r.

Ben Rubinstein

We are a bunch of gear wh***s and people to whom quality is often defined by tech lenses and MFDB's. I wouldn't be surprised. For 'normal' people I would have little doubt that the better AF coupled with more than plenty megapixels in the A7 will ensure it does not shrink into oblivion.

Oh and for a laugh: Compare camera dimensions side by side have a look at the view from the side.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We are a bunch of gear wh***s and people to whom quality is often defined by tech lenses and MFDB's. I wouldn't be surprised. For 'normal' people I would have little doubt that the better AF coupled with more than plenty megapixels in the A7 will ensure it does not shrink into oblivion.

Oh and for a laugh: Compare camera dimensions side by side have a look at the view from the side.
LOL we certainly are gear whores. If I had life my way I would go back to a MF tech cam or a Leica S for my big gun shooting but have something like this a A7r for event work. To me that would be a nice combo. Lately am going back to this need for BIG and I mean BIG but having something like this could replace my Nikons which are smack in the middle of nowhere big but not big enough and no the D800e is not a Leica S. Maybe same MPX but the glass is better.

But it does bring some options to a lot of folks and to me that is good. But bolting wide angles on outside of the Sony mount just might be a big issue. I'm going to sit back and see what develops on that end.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea that would be a wonderfull combo. Things are just big and heavy in the big gun arena be nice to have a RF type of machine

ggibson

Has anyone read reports of quantifiable differences in AF due to the on-sensor phase-detection? Saying it's "better" doesn't really help me decide whether it's a feature worth buying into. Maybe it will be similar to compare AF performance in the NEX6 vs 7?

Tim

Based on this poll - I shouldn't be worried about the a7 selling out! LOL! It seems everyone (or most everyone) wants the a7r.
After thinking about it, I am not so sure now. With FF and 24Mpixels the pixel pitch being better, the a7 may be better at low light out of the two - if that's your thing.

Also the price difference is greater than I first thought. As "hot" shows here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/542643-post151.html

the price for a a7 with lens is still less than a7r body only.

I need to see a total list of differences. Also having different sensors, its valid to compare the samples too. A few a7r samples I've seen are excellent IMO.

V

Vivek

Tim, In fact, the camera stores team on youtube did allude to that- the A7 being about 1/2stop better than the A7r.

OTOH, the poll here is fairly reflective of the overall trend. The A7r is most most ordered (including camera bags,mpouches, etc) photographic item on Amazon, the one true indicator of photography nowadays. :D

fultonpics

can't wait for my A7r to show up. plan to use it for assignment work internationally. tired of lugging D4's and even D800's into jungles or through airports. i will keep the Rx1 for times when i need a quiet shutter--which is frequent when shooting in the middle east. loud shutters attract guns...

jfirneno

I've pre-ordered the A7. My requirements are based on a different combination of plans. I intend to use it for use with legacy glass (Contax G, Nikon and some Zeiss/Sony/Minolta items) but also I want a camera that can auto-focus indoors with the FE lenses. If the reviews in November don't indicate good autofocus in low light I'll probably cancel the order.

Regards,
John

Chris C

The A7 specs.....Way better than that of the A7r (shutter, flash sync speed, etc)!
Vivek, or anyone....

Please excuse my total ignorance on the shutter description, but does it indicate a quiet shutter? If so; I'd gladly accept that in trade for more pixels, and the improved flash synch would be a bonus.

........... Chris

V

Vivek

Chris,

it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I can not emphasize this enough.

The original NEX-5 had this and with that shot gun shutter combined with the tiny size, it was impossible for me to get any sharp shots compared to the NEX-5N (which does offer electronic first curtain shutter and hence a lot quieter).

Since I prordered the A7r (do not know if I can cancel that!), the only hope is that a firmware will bring that feature in.