The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 or A7r

A7 or A7r

• Total voters

lambert

Chris,

it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I can not emphasize this enough.

The original NEX-5 had this and with that shot gun shutter combined with the tiny size, it was impossible for me to get any sharp shots compared to the NEX-5N (which does offer electronic first curtain shutter and hence a lot quieter).

Since I prordered the A7r (do not know if I can cancel that!), the only hope is that a firmware will bring that feature in.
Assuming you wish to use legacy lenses wider than 35mm, I would stick with the A7R given that it has the gapless, micro-lens array while the A7 does not.

V

Vivek

Assuming you wish to use legacy lenses wider than 35mm, I would stick with the A7R given that it has the gapless, micro-lens array while the A7 does not.
You are assuming based on an assumption. Has anyone shown that the A7r is better for non telecentric lenses and the A7 is poor for them?

I would really like to know the actual difference. If any such tests come up anywhere, please post some links.

Yes, we have seen the Sony promo and the conjecture (I do wish that would come true as well).

lambert

You are assuming based on an assumption. Has anyone shown that the A7r is better for non telecentric lenses and the A7 is poor for them?

I would really like to know the actual difference. If any such tests come up anywhere, please post some links.

Yes, we have seen the Sony promo and the conjecture (I do wish that would come true as well).
That's a fair point. Until we see legacy wides shot on both we don't really know how much better the A7R will be over the A7, if at all. But if the NEX7, with it's smaller APS sensor, is anything to go by, I can't imagine the A7 will perform well at all without the micro-lens array.

Tim

I was going to ask you guys but I googled and found there is a nice breakdown of the technical differences between the A7 and A7r here - Sony A7 vs A7R

While my head says the A7r, this sample http://www.sony.net/Products/di/common/images/products/uxc2/actualphotos/set1/photo_sample1.jpg says there is a good reason to consider the A7, as does the author above.

Perhaps some of it comes down to how each of the two sensors will behave with specific lenses as to which you pick. For me I'd prefer the version that works with wides and super wides as that's what I use. Others have differing wants and needs. In the end you pays your money and you get whats youse gets IQ wise.

Chris C

,,,,,, HUGE DIFFERENCE. ....
Vivek, and lambert,

Thank you, I'm surprised that the noise difference hasn't been highlighted in the early reviews I've seen. I'm a manual focus, legacy lens, 50mm and under photographer, and shutter noise can be critical. I'll watch and see how these cameras behave in rigorous tests.

.............. Chris

J

JohnW

After thinking about it, I am not so sure now. With FF and 24Mpixels the pixel pitch being better, the a7 may be better at low light out of the two - if that's your thing.

Also the price difference is greater than I first thought. As "hot" shows here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/542643-post151.html....
That's my thinking, too. I first thought the R was a no-brainer for me, but now I'm not so sure. All I really wanted was a Nex 7 upgrade, and the A7 does that. I sure don't need 36 Mp, and I would value the post-processing and storage implications of smaller files. The compelling R feature for me is no AA. But we'll have to wait and see how much difference there really is.

John

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
A7R of course

We have hords of wild boars settling in around the house here, and walking alone through the woods is kinda nerv wrecking, but the light maschine gun shutter sound should do the job keeping them at bay.

Seriously though....

we do have too many wild boars around here!

kuau

Workshop Member
I voted A7r but - thinking about it, I'd be using it with alt lenses. Given Roger Cicala's recent blog post on adaptors and the fact that I doubt that most non modern lenses, especially when adapted can come close to actually maximising 36 megapixels, I think I'd just go for the A7. If I was using it with modern Leica or Zeiss glass and $300 adaptors it would be different but I wouldn't be.
Ben I agree with you, I had really hoped that Sony would have stuck with 24MP for the A7 and offer one with and one without an AA filter. IMHO 36MP is pushing the boundaries of 35mm FF, way to demanding on lenses and also perfect technique is always required then add Rogers findings on using adaptors I think this is a big issue.

Maybe the A7 will not have a very strong AA filter but I doubt it, I assume Sony put the AA filter in because of video.

I guess Sony was forced by "market demands" to have a 36MP camera.

For me I will stick with my MF kit when I want super hi res images.

Lastly I had hoped for even a better EVF then the A99 but correct me if I am wrong they are sticking with the same one. Not that the A99 EVF is bad, but it would been nice to improve on it.

mazor

I've pre-ordered the A7. My requirements are based on a different combination of plans. I intend to use it for use with legacy glass (Contax G, Nikon and some Zeiss/Sony/Minolta items) but also I want a camera that can auto-focus indoors with the FE lenses. If the reviews in November don't indicate good autofocus in low light I'll probably cancel the order.

Regards,
John
Take care to with regards to using legacy glass on the A7. I have heard although both A7 and A7r have gapless micro lens, the A7r has micro lens arranged similar to the Leica m9, which is designed purely for legacy glass to perform better at the extreme corners.

jonoslack

. . . it's difficult - I'm going through the same seesaw - A7r has obvious disadvantages . . but then the A7 is 24mp with an AA filter . . . not that much better than the E-M1, which also has IS and seriously fast AF, together with lots of (not ff) lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No contest get the most bang for your buck in the 36mpx, worry about the little **** later as we all know there will be workarounds to the wide issue. That problem will not last long as someone like Zeiss will make a wide that will work. They probably already have it in production just a matter of making it in the E mount. Now that it is announced its a given.

I say this with thought as I get older and want to sell images for income. That's on my hit list, get as far away from everyday stock. Go big or go home. Give yourself as much edge as you can. For me this may just replace my Nikons at some point as I try to get back to a tech cam and a load of MPX. I'm getting very large print sizing requests lately.

This little cam can also be a pano machine given its small size you can go very fast with pano gear to go really large with it

mazor

Chris,

it makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I can not emphasize this enough.

The original NEX-5 had this and with that shot gun shutter combined with the tiny size, it was impossible for me to get any sharp shots compared to the NEX-5N (which does offer electronic first curtain shutter and hence a lot quieter).

Since I prordered the A7r (do not know if I can cancel that!), the only hope is that a firmware will bring that feature in.
I think there must be a reason the A7r does not come with electronic first curtain as an option. It could be due to the sensor design itself, and the way sensor data is read.

Anyway, although the difference between electronic first curtain and mechanical first curtain was huge on the nex5 series, it may not be as bad on the A7r, since it has a much more substantial grip, and is a heavier body. The nex 5 series, although nice and compact, was alot harder to hold steady due to ergonomics and lightness.

Michiel Schierbeek

For streetwork, a fast focus and silent shutter is important and if you don't have to make big prints the A7 is probably better if you can find a good working wide angle for it if you need it.

For me it's more "take your time photogaphy" and be able to print big; it will be the A7r
Just downloaded some RAW files (SAR) but I can not open them yet in ACR, no support from Adobe yet as far as I can see. I am really curious how they handle.

fotografz

No contest get the most bang for your buck in the 36mpx, worry about the little **** later as we all know there will be workarounds to the wide issue. That problem will not last long as someone like Zeiss will make a wide that will work. They probably already have it in production just a matter of making it in the E mount. Now that it is announced its a given.

I say this with thought as I get older and want to sell images for income. That's on my hit list, get as far away from everyday stock. Go big or go home. Give yourself as much edge as you can. For me this may just replace my Nikons at some point as I try to get back to a tech cam and a load of MPX. I'm getting very large print sizing requests lately.

This little cam can also be a pano machine given its small size you can go very fast with pano gear to go really large with it
I agree.

The little **** always seems to get worked out, if a lot of the speculation even is an issue (we'll see).

I'm a fan of resolution for some applications because it gives me options ... where Guy wants bigger prints, I like the ability to crop ... or the ability to work on an image with more visual data to manipulate without having it falling apart if I go heavy for some creative reason.

Last year I did a family portrait session with my S2 ... this year I did the same family, same place, same lighting conditions with my 24 meg Sony A99 and my post time increased considerably when doing the same sort of enhancements with the same portrait programs I use. 36 meg would've helped a bit I think.

Most of the time 16, 20 or 24 meg is more than enough, but sometimes, with some applications, more would be helpful. Depends on what you do.

- Marc

V

Vivek

For streetwork, a fast focus and silent shutter is important and if you don't have to make big prints the A7 is probably better if you can find a good working wide angle for it if you need it.

For me it's more "take your time photogaphy" and be able to print big; it will be the A7r
Just downloaded some RAW files (SAR) but I can not open them yet in ACR, no support from Adobe yet as far as I can see. I am really curious how they handle.
Michiel, The Sony RAW converter(free) works. Absolutely horrible pictures. That kit zoom appears to be crap.

Tim

Most of the time 16, 20 or 24 meg is more than enough, but sometimes, with some applications, more would be helpful. Depends on what you do.

- Marc
I agree with the "Depends on what you do", I might add "Depends on how much you can afford" - I'd have an S2 now if I could justify it.

I try to fathom how many Mega Pixies is enough?
I think I've come to a possible conclusion that enough resolution is a ratio of -

artists intention / print size / viewing distance / viewer acceptance

its the last one that I can't nail down. While I might be happy with a particular big print a buddy of mine is never happy, but then I don't have to keep him happy.

In a way its not which A7 or A7r to get that interests me, its more that its Full Frame 35mm and what that offers for DOF effects and lens angle of view.
While I mostly use wides I do occasionally want that shallow DOF. While APSC and m43 can do it, its what I am used to after years of being a film user.

I am starting to think the A7 may be the way for me. I gain a few extra features and lower price which I can use on a lens. Samples will help.

fotografz

I agree with the "Depends on what you do", I might add "Depends on how much you can afford" - I'd have an S2 now if I could justify it.

I try to fathom how many Mega Pixies is enough?
I think I've come to a possible conclusion that enough resolution is a ratio of -

artists intention / print size / viewing distance / viewer acceptance

its the last one that I can't nail down. While I might be happy with a particular big print a buddy of mine is never happy, but then I don't have to keep him happy.

In a way its not which A7 or A7r to get that interests me, its more that its Full Frame 35mm and what that offers for DOF effects and lens angle of view.

While I mostly use wides I do occasionally want that shallow DOF. While APSC and m43 can do it, its what I am used to after years of being a film user.

I am starting to think the A7 may be the way for me. I gain a few extra features and lower price which I can use on a lens. Samples will help.
Your "ratio" notion is interesting and a good way of looking at it all Tim.

I've been using the 24 meg A900 and A99 for some time now, and in reality they meet most any practical demand. Unfortunately my own expectations became polluted by long term use of Medium Format Digital.

Since I already have a 24 meg FF solution, my interest goes to the 36 meg a7r version to see what that brings to the party.

- Marc