The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 or A7r

A7 or A7r

• Total voters

Ron Pfister

I do street snaps, handheld and I find the the A7R a bit too easy to handle. BTW, coffee is my favorite beverage (possibly the only beverage I drink all day). ;)

I agree with what Marc said. It is a bunch of bull about a demanding A7R. If anyone snapped with a NEX-6 handheld then the A7R is even much easier because of the better ergonomics.

Also, one guy posted an analysis of Stve Huff's review (sonyalpharumors). You should check it out. Hilarious. :)
Yes, Steve Huff's reviews must be read in context of who he is and what he does. Everyone frequenting his site knows that. But I think he nevertheless makes a valid point: if you shoot primarily hand-held, you're less likely to reap the benefits of the A7R's 36MP sensor, and might most often get results that are no better than with the A7 - but they wouldn't be any worse, either, I would add.

V

Vivek

No, he does not have a valid point at all. People have been shooting NEX-6 and even the NEX-7 handheld.

He is trying to keep his olympus fans and his leica fans on even keel and interested. It is a difficult balancing act.

To quote him to justify anything is pretty much useless.

k-hawinkler

Yes, Steve Huff's reviews must be read in context of who he is and what he does. Everyone frequenting his site knows that. But I think he nevertheless makes a valid point: if you shoot primarily hand-held, you're less likely to reap the benefits of the A7R's 36MP sensor, and might most often get results that are no better than with the A7 - but they wouldn't be any worse, either, I would add.

Thanks. No, I don't think so. That's not my experience with the D800E.
The combination of faster shutter speed, e.g. 1/(3*FL) and excellent high ISO makes it possible.
Of course, what I am looking forward to is 5-axis IBIS and 54 MP integrated into the follow on model of the A7R. :D

engel001

For me, the A7r was the clear choice, coming from A850 and A99 which I will keep. Looking forward to using Canon 24mm and 17mm T/S lenses as well as Zeiss ZF.2 and ZE lenses and possibly other Canon EF lenses (zooms?) - assuming the autofocus via Metabones III is OK.

The SLR and SLT cameras will be more for handheld, the mirrorless for tripod/landscape use. For now, still keeping IQ260 with Contax 645. I am trying to avoid technical cams with my back, but that would also be an option. Nikon is on the way out over the next year or so, I am afraid. Canon system is a keeper, we'll see what they're up to early in 2014, I hear.

There is no single system yet that can satisfy all needs/wants.

carstenw

For me the A7 was the clear choice. Better AF, better with some RF lenses, faster fps, and the biggest selling point for me: only 24MP. My D800 can take a rest for many tasks now, and only get pulled out when I really need it.

jonoslack

uuhhh… I am a gear head too but these days discussions - like the one on the link - get so stupid thats not even fun anymore to take part in them.
I quite agree Tom, the contrast between Steve's euphoria and the comments is more than I can bear.

Kai's off the wall reviews on the other Hand I always enjoy.

All the best

Last edited: