The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not impressed by the A7/A7r

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Exactly I was just going to post somewhat the same thing.

What we have here is a role reversal. Usually we buy a camera than figure out what lenses to buy for it. In this case the Sony is like a 36mpx MF back where we can adopt it to different systems. MF back owners are used to that role reversal. Now Sony comes out with a sensor that every Nikon, canon, Leica M and R lens owners are looking at plus others Like Sony A owners that now can adapt a 36mpx sensor to their existing glass collection.

I believe many are not looking at the E glass so much and going the standard route but adapting the sensor to what they have in their bags today.

Very interesting and welcome change and it really is the chance to use outside of Nikon folks to get to 36mpx sensors in 35mm photography. In theory this is cool as ****, now we have to think how practical it is to our needs.

BTW I totally get just go buying it because one wants it regardless of need. I talk from a Pro seat so I think a little differently as it has to make me money to justify it. Hobbyist have much better freedom to buy something for no other reason than just because I want it. Which I envy that freedom

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Though many of us are thinking of it as as 'System' bridge; hoping it works well with cherry picked lenses from other 'Systems'.

And if it does work well as a bridge ----- it's a clever Sony strategy?

........... Chris
It's a clever strategy for those who want to use alternative lenses, but I doubt it will fulfill Sony's own strategy: Maximum profitability from system sales.

I wonder if they have sold enough cameras and lenses to make their now semi-defunct full frame DSLR system profitable, considering all investments involved.

retow

The A7 is not costing much more than a Leica M240 EVF and handgrip, superior sensor and EFV included. So some compromises on build can`t shy me away. Concerning UI, except for the Olympus one, I have not come across any which one does not get used to. And once the camera is set up the UI is out of the way anyway. I pre-ordered the A7r and the 35mm. For the rest, M-lenses and the Novoflex adapter are waiting.

Ulfric Douglas

Can you explain this in more detail please?;
Now I was impressed by the manual focus assist on the A7s. It tracks subjects in real time and puts the focus pane in RED.
I really don't understand what you mean.
"it tracks"?
"focus pane" in MF?
Are you talking about a red-edge focus peaking on the plane of focus?

jonoslack

Ah crap I'm going to think logically for a second. Where all in trouble now. Lol

Okay let's say you have a nice Nikon d800e system in place and you can change camera names here. So you have 2300 dollars in your hand but your system today that you use could also be expanded by a new lens or two and grow your current system to be much more powerful range of lens selection. Now you look at the Sony you can get a smaller form factor with the same Mpx sizing. But the system has a limited amount of glass in its own Sony mount. One wonders is it worth adding a limited system or expand your current one. Now you still have the cash in your hand so what do you do. Now I could surely try the adapter route and bolt my Nikon glass on and try to build theSony system in time with Sony mounts or is it a better idea to sit and wait use the cash expand your Nikon setup and when the Sony gets more dense in glass maybe buy in than down the road. That's is the questions I face and I'm sure a number of people thinking the same..
I don't think Sony build systems . . . . . . the nex best thing will be the next best thing.

If you buy the A7r (seriously considering here) you need to buy it for now, not for some idea of the future!

Now others are avoiding the cost of a Leica 240 and get mpx for a fraction of the price. To me the later is a far better option to buy into the Sony.
But I'd really question whether anything wider than 35mm will work well. Let's face it, even with their new special sensor, Leica have to do firmware adjustments for each lens - Sony simply aren't going to to that. . . . . They don't even MENTION M lenses in their FAQ!

all the best

V

Vivek

If you buy the A7r (seriously considering here) you need to buy it for now, not for some idea of the future!
I would hope that applies to every other camera out there! ;)

But I'd really question whether anything wider than 35mm will work well. Let's face it, even with their new special sensor, Leica have to do firmware adjustments for each lens - Sony simply aren't going to to that. . . . . They don't even MENTION M lenses in their FAQ!
Jono, It looks like the differences between the 7 and the 7R are very much like that between the NEX5N (or the 6) and the NEX7. In other words, the 7 appears better suited than the 7R. So much for angled lenses and such.

In my case, I have a 30 day money back option. So, I can always get the 7 after returning the 7R (if it is unsatisfactory).

(I like the NEX6 and do not like the NEX7)

jonoslack

Here's some quick and dirty UWA rangefinder tests on the a7R. (Voigtlanders 12, 15 and 21 mm).

Purple corners yes, but very little smearing by the looks of it. So cornerfix will make these lenses very usable I think.

Also the other observation is that the APS-C crop is vignette/color shift corner free, so from that perspective quite a big improvement over the NEX7.
Hang on - This is ghastly - I'm sure it's fixable (well, I think it's fixable), but if the fringing is that bad on the 21, then you're going to have to use corner fix on everything wider than the 35 (and probably on that too).

Seriously - that's no way to do photography. I'm really interested by the camera - but if I get one, it'll be for use with Sony and Zeiss lenses.

In other words, the 7 appears better suited than the 7R. So much for angled lenses and such.
Vivek, why do you expect the A7 will perform better tan A7R on wides? Based on the few examples I have seen, the former is the champion of corner smearing, the latter excels in color shift.

V

Vivek

Ario, Like the way you word it. :)

I am not sure I saw any A7 examples with corner smearing.

Paratom

Is this progress if we have a camera where we can put on a third party lens with adapter and then focus manually with focus peaking, then we can get rid of color cast problems with software and hope the edges are not smeared.

V

Vivek

Is this progress if we have a camera where we can put on a third party lens with adapter and then focus manually with focus peaking, then we can get rid of color cast problems with software and hope the edges are not smeared.
An emphatic, yes! ;)

There are lot more lenses in this wide world than just Leica (M or R) lenses. Not all will behave like the M lenses and are lot cheaper too. :)

Even Leica have made an adapter to use Contax 645 lenses on the S. I am sure those (or the smaller format equivalent) would work well on the 7/7R.

Look out for Michiel's post once he gets hold of an A7R. :)

Nettar

First, a confession -- I have never used a Leica other than my wonderful M2. However, having said that, I've read that all the lenses that Ario kindly tested, particularly the 15mm and 21mm, have caused frustration to more than a few M9 users, even after applying various Leica proprietary codings. So the fact that they do not work wonderfully with the A7R is not exactly a stake through its heart. For example, I imagine that the 21mm SEM (which I've used happily on my M2) is better on the A7R than the pancake-like CV21mm lens that Ario tested, and I'm curious to learn how the 24mm f/3.8 performs. Nettar

V

Vivek

I would like to see how the Zeiss 15mm behave with its centre filter on.

The CV 15/4.5 was a disaster on my Leica MM. The CV12/5.6 works fine. No color fringing to report either. :D

mmbma

Mmbma, you haven't mentioned anything about image quality at all, surely that is the most important thing?! As others have said, UI is largely irrelevant after you've read the manual and set it up how you want it, if it's like the RX1 everything after the initial setup is handled easily. Are you looking now at the final version that will be for sale or are these still pre-release bodies, in which case performance may still be a way off what will be in the final version.

I think it's brilliant that people are deciding which camera that hasn't been released yet they are going to buy!
You are right. I don't know about IQ because....they don't allow us to put in memory cards. I suspect with Zeiss glasses it'll be on par (probably a bit less since the RX1 has a mated lens) with the RX1 but I just can't tell right now.