The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not impressed by the A7/A7r

mmbma

Can you explain this in more detail please?;

I really don't understand what you mean.
"it tracks"?
"focus pane" in MF?
Are you talking about a red-edge focus peaking on the plane of focus?
Manual focus is TRUELY a breeze with the A7s. Now I only tested with the Sony lenses but I was told the same function would work for all legacy glasses.

Yes, same concept as the M240, the EVF shows the areas in focus in red in real time. It is much more fluid than the one on the M240 however. You can turn on focus peaking on top of the red focus check function but I found it to be unnecessary. The red edge is really easy to see without any magnification

NotXorc

It is much more fluid than the one on the M240 however. You can turn on focus peaking on top of the red focus check function but I found it to be unnecessary. The red edge is really easy to see without any magnification
Were you able to try with a lens that has some field curvature wide open? If so, then I may have a new hobby on my hands – fitting everything in a photograph onto the curved plane of focus. :) I may not actually take pictures; just walk around looking through the EVF.

Thanks for your report mmba!

Can you explain this in more detail please?;

I really don't understand what you mean.
"it tracks"?
"focus pane" in MF?
Are you talking about a red-edge focus peaking on the plane of focus?
Best to show than tell: Quick Sony NEX-7 Focus Peaking Example and Demo - YouTube

How much is the corner smearing the sensor and not the lenses themselves? Do we have a benchmark to test that?
Well, 6nm CCD sensors seem to have less problems with light that comes in at an angle than CMOS, so best case would be that someone with an IQ140/160 or similar and an ALPA FPS or Hartblei H cam to test the lenses. As a bonus we'd see how the lenses perform to the extremes of their image circle.

Even more ideal would be to test all the lenses on film, but I imagine it might get tedious and pricy for the tester.

Chris C

It's a clever strategy for those who want to use alternative lenses, but I doubt it will fulfill Sony's own strategy: Maximum profitability from system sales........
Your assumption is that Sony's strategy is the traditional manufacturers one of wanting to tie customers into a closed, proprietary system. You may be right, or possibly Sony are shaking up Nikon, Canon, and other players with an appealing product, attractively open enough to accept cross platform lenses. And why not? Who in the world will buy this camera without having at least one [already owned and favoured] legacy lens they'd be curious to try on their new A7/A7r? Sony know that!

Maybe I'm naive, but as someone who's utterly fed up with designers wanting to tie me in to their notion of how a product should work, I find it refreshing that these cameras leave us customers with options. I see that as a win-win; for both Sony, and attracted customers. If it's a strategy ------ it's a smart one, and those customers less playful than some of us will buy first class Zeiss auto focus lenses.

[Now where did I put that lottery ticket......].

............... Chris

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree just look at their track record with the Nex system. They would be morons to not look at their sales and not realize folks are bolting every brand they could find on to the front end. They found a niche market by accident so take advantage of it. That's smart strategy.

Just look at Leica and RF.

I agree just look at their track record with the Nex system. They would be morons to not look at their sales and not realize folks are bolting every brand they could find on to the front end. They found a niche market by accident so take advantage of it. That's smart strategy.

Just look at Leica and RF.
The difference between Leica and Sony, is that one is a small company that struggles to keep up with demand, the other is an international conglomerate that can afford to release products that they don't even know will sell yet.

For instance, you mentioned the Leica S before, but the only exciting thing that happened in S land recently is the 45mm. And the camera itself is getting long in the tooth, seeing as it's an update of 2008 technology. In terms of becoming a complete system, I'm not worried for Sony at all.

Zeiss mentioned on Twitter that they started working on their own line of manual focus lenses for the FE mount, though the Otus line won't be adapted in the near future. It could be that in two years when the A7r mkIII launches, there will more lenses than one would know what to do with.

Paratom

I don't know. If I was going with one of those new Sony I would use original Sony lenses as much as possible.
I have adapters to use my Leica M lenses on m43, and to use them on Nex, and one to use Leica R on Nex.
These 3 adapters are the least used peaces of equipment I haver ever owned.

Guy Mancuso

The difference between Leica and Sony, is that one is a small company that struggles to keep up with demand, the other is an international conglomerate that can afford to release products that they don't even know will sell yet.

For instance, you mentioned the Leica S before, but the only exciting thing that happened in S land recently is the 45mm. And the camera itself is getting long in the tooth, seeing as it's an update of 2008 technology. In terms of becoming a complete system, I'm not worried for Sony at all.

Zeiss mentioned on Twitter that they started working on their own line of manual focus lenses for the FE mount, though the Otus line won't be adapted in the near future. It could be that in two years when the A7r mkIII launches, there will more lenses than one would know what to do with.
Agree the S sensor is getting older what helps this system though is the adapters for Hassy, Contax . That can help a great deal in costs and glass. Cost aside the S line in glass does have a nice range over when released so getting in is far easier to build a bigger kit.

V

Vivek

NEX7 prices on Adorama today at US$948.
Is that is a suggestive post on the enduring values of Leica gear? :)

What is more important- photography today or hoarding and having a chuckle in private about monetary values? ;)

I don't know. If I was going with one of those new Sony I would use original Sony lenses as much as possible.
I have adapters to use my Leica M lenses on m43, and to use them on Nex, and one to use Leica R on Nex.
These 3 adapters are the least used peaces of equipment I haver ever owned.
Not said by someone with a TS-E itching to be unleashed. Adapters are all about using awesome exotic glass you either can't or wouldn't expect the camera manufacture to make.

Sony needs to make the following for the system to be viable on it's own:
1. Bread & butter primes between 24-135mm.
2. Wide, mid and long zooms.
3. A macro lens.
4. Then they can do exotic stuff like tilt/shift, wide aperture, and ultra-wides.

But if you don't want to wait 3-4 years for #4, and already have a lens that does the job really well, you're just an adapter away.

Agree the S sensor is getting older what helps this system though is the adapters for Hassy, Contax . That can help a great deal in costs and glass. Cost aside the S line in glass does have a nice range over when released so getting in is far easier to build a bigger kit.
Cost aside of me robbing a bank. :eek:

V

Vivek

My standard lens is going to be a 45/2 (MD) Rokkor plus an adapter- total cost <$50. ;)

Guy Mancuso

Not said by someone with a TS-E itching to be unleashed. Adapters are all about using awesome exotic glass you either can't or wouldn't expect the camera manufacture to make.

Sony needs to make the following for the system to be viable on it's own:
1. Bread & butter primes between 24-135mm.
2. Wide, mid and long zooms.
3. A macro lens.
4. Then they can do exotic stuff like tilt/shift, wide aperture, and ultra-wides.

But if you don't want to wait 3-4 years for #4, and already have a lens that does the job really well, you're just an adapter away.

Cost aside of me robbing a bank. :eek:
Hey I'll be the driver. Lol

V

Vivek

Though when clicking on the CV12 and CV 15 shots I heard Prince singing "purple rain, purple rain.......";)
You know, I have the perfect camera for those lenses- A Bessa-L- bought new for $69/-. :) Can you think of any other? :)

mmbma

I hope the real benefit we all get out of the A7.... is the new generation of Full frame compact shooters that it forced out from the bowels of the Ricoh/Pentax, Canon, Nikon, and Leicas. The envelope has been pushed, and Nikon is already responding with the digital FM (I am not holding my breath over it because Nikon probably will release a compromised product to not cannibal their DSRL sales).

Cant wait for the Full frame Pentax to come out. How about a full frame Sigma Foveon? That would be the day. The technology is ready. The only thing holding these companies back was because everyone wanted to milk some more out of the current line ups.