The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not impressed by the A7/A7r

mmbma

Did you forget the 135/3.4 APO telyt?

One went fot €1650 recently. I thought I would better go with the Zeiss Apo Sonnar 135/2 for a bit more and did not buy it.
I wouldn't go for a Leica or Zeiss at this focal length. Considering the size of the lenses you might be better off going with a Canon L or Alpha lens and enjoy the autofocus. Size would be similar

Tim

The A7 smears detail very noticeably with anything M wider than (and including) the 28 cron. Might be different with more retrofocus designs like the 24 lux.
I am only really looking at the A7/r if a superwide can work well enough. This has me wondering how a Leica R superwide might behave on the Sony rather than any M-mount lens Leica, Zeiss or CV?

thoughts

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to wonder I have a Leica R 19mm with a Nikon mount. Be fun for sure to be able to use it. I have to use it stopped down anyway on my Nkon

lambert

The A7 smears detail very noticeably with anything M wider than (and including) the 28 cron. Might be different with more retrofocus designs like the 24 lux.
Yes, it seems that the A7/R may not be the best platform for Leica M wides. That's a shame, since Leica M digitals are also not a particularly good platform, requiring external optical finders or an EVF that is sub-par.

The solution for me will be to use FE Zeiss lenses to meet my wide angle needs along with with Leica M-mount glass from 35mm and up. This suits me since my #1 Leica lens is the 50 LUX ASPH, followed by the 35 LUX ASPH.

If these lenses work well with the new Sony's, I'm sure they will be a big hit since around 90% of RF photographers seem to shoot with focal lengths greater than 35mm.

Which is your most used focal length on Full Format 35mm cameras - Rangefinderforum.com

lambert

Kirk Tuck wasn't too impressed either at Photo Expo in NY either:

The Visual Science Lab.: Sony swings for the fences and ends up a little short. The hands on mini-evaluation of the new A7's.

I remain neutral about the Sonys. I'm not interested in one now as I am satisfied with the equipment I have already, particularly since I purchased the new Olympus last month. I've reached my limits, now I just want to put what I have to use more than I've had time to do.

G

Kirk Tuck was so 'fascinated' by the Pentax K-01 that he bought one. I guess we all have different tastes. I certainly prefer to buy a camera that he is not 'fascinated' with. :ROTFL:

Michiel Schierbeek

Why threads with the negative title often get the longest?

At dpreview are some high ISO samples. As it seems all handheld!
Can't wait to walk around with the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 bolted on :)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Why threads with the negative title often get the longest?

At dpreview are some high ISO samples. As it seems all handheld!
Can't wait to walk around with the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 bolted on :)
I think the title attests to the fact that this IS the disruptive camera as intended by Sony. Lots of interest with a healthy dose of skepticism (at least that sums up my take on this camera).

jfirneno

V

Vivek

John, For the first time in my dealing with Sony, I have the option to return for a full refund within 30 days. I might even order the A7 as well to compare and return one or both if I find them unsatisfactory.

Really a great opportunity! :)

mmbma

Interesting results from Steve Huff. I wouldn've thought the A7r would fare better with the M wides than the A7.

iiiNelson

Interesting results from Steve Huff. I wouldn've thought the A7r would fare better with the M wides than the A7.
I think it will be somewhat lens dependent and user dependent. Color cast is usually fixable. I personally shoot a 21/1.8 and 24 Elmar. If they work then great but if not there's always the native FE wide angle lens coming. If you need/want the resolution then there's really only one choice though.

Annna T

Interesting ! Especially where he writes :
"In regards to Leica M Mount lenses using adapters…The A7r has issues with the 12, 15 and 21mm focal length, even 28mm to some extent. The A7 had some slight vignetting with the 15 and 21 but no real color shift. Not nearly as much as the A7r. So if you are one who was planning on using WIDE ANGLE Leica M mount glass, go for the A7."

More or less what I feared it would be : the lower resolution Nex like the Nex-6 were already doing better than the Nex-7 with RF lenses. Apparently those specially arranged photosites only serve to compensate for the disadvantage due to the higher resolution but aren't able to fix the problems of the WA RF lenses.

I'm not sure that I've found a back for my Zeiss Contax G 21mm F2.8, because the first samples I have seen showing WA RF lenses on the A7 had a lot of smeared corners, not only vignetting or magenta shift :-(

V

Vivek

Interesting ! Especially where he writes :
"In regards to Leica M Mount lenses using adapters…The A7r has issues with the 12, 15 and 21mm focal length, even 28mm to some extent. The A7 had some slight vignetting with the 15 and 21 but no real color shift. Not nearly as much as the A7r. So if you are one who was planning on using WIDE ANGLE Leica M mount glass, go for the A7."

More or less what I feared it would be : the lower resolution Nex like the Nex-6 were already doing better than the Nex-7 with RF lenses. Apparently those specially arranged photosites only serve to compensate for the disadvantage due to the higher resolution but aren't able to fix the problems of the WA RF lenses.

I'm not sure that I've found a back for my Zeiss Contax G 21mm F2.8, because the first samples I have seen showing WA RF lenses on the A7 had a lot of smeared corners, not only vignetting or magenta shift :-(

I agree. I trust Ario's eagle eye for details. :)

V

Vivek

I think it will be somewhat lens dependent and user dependent. Color cast is usually fixable. I personally shoot a 21/1.8 and 24 Elmar. If they work then great but if not there's always the native FE wide angle lens coming. If you need/want the resolution then there's really only one choice though.
Only for a short period of time though. Look at Annna T's post above. After so much complaints about the NEX-7, Sony came up with the NEX-6 which, in my experience, is a few orders of magnitude better for adapted lenses, including use with a Speed Booster.

In this case they have issued the FF equivalents of NEX-6 and 7 at once.

FWIW, I could never find an AA (blur) filter in the NEX-5N or the NEX-6. I strongly believe that there is some sort of software massage goes on with those images to take care of moire (to a large extent). I would not be surprised if that is the case with the A7 as well.

iiiNelson

Only for a short period of time though. Look at Annna T's post above. After so much complaints about the NEX-7, Sony came up with the NEX-6 which, in my experience, is a few orders of magnitude better for adapted lenses, including use with a Speed Booster.

In this case they have issued the FF equivalents of NEX-6 and 7 at once.

FWIW, I could never find an AA (blur) filter in the NEX-5N or the NEX-6. I strongly believe that there is some sort of software massage goes on with those images to take care of moire (to a large extent). I would not be surprised if that is the case with the A7 as well.
It's possible you're correct on all of that but I shoot 35/ 50 for 70% of everything. The other 30% is split close to even with wides and telephoto. Plus there's no native 90/2 yet. So I'm still leaning A7r since 24 megapixels isn't a huge jump over the M9... Then there is still B&W options for wides until a native wide FE is released.

Annna T

It's possible you're correct on all of that but I shoot 35/ 50 for 70% of everything. The other 30% is split close to even with wides and telephoto. Plus there's no native 90/2 yet. So I'm still leaning A7r since 24 megapixels isn't a huge jump over the M9... Then there is still B&W options for wides until a native wide FE is released.
The problem aren't so much the magenta vignetting corners, I think there are workarounds. But when you get smeared corners, that is another story. The first tests I've seen weren't looking very encouraging.

I won't get an A7R, there are too many pixels for me.. but I'll look attentively at the A7, hoping for better controlled tests, like some brick walls shots on tripod wihtout wind in the foliage to complicate things.

V

Vivek

Yes, if you would be happy with fly by wire and AF. :)