The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DXO A7r...

No complaints, it's already a very good sensor, more than most people ever need without having to look at cameras that cost much more. The variations do seem to be minor enough to chalk up to processing differences.

If there's any "secret sauce", it's only got to do with the offset micro-lenses, that make it presumably perform better with short register lenses.

V

Vivek

If there's any "secret sauce", it's only got to do with the offset micro-lenses, that make it presumably perform better with short register lenses.
We do not know if that is already present in the D800!

jpaulmoore

I saw in a video that the BIONZ processor is supposed to handle diffraction (to some extent) so smaller apertures can be used. If this works well, this would really be a big deal. I don't hear anybody talking about this. I wonder if this extra processing only refers to Sony/Zeiss lenses?
J. Paul

We do not know if that is already present in the D800!
Wouldn't make sense since you can't really mount rangefinder lenses on DSLRs and every other lens is already retrofocus. No way to test it unfortunately.

I saw in a video that the BIONZ processor is supposed to handle diffraction (to some extent) so smaller apertures can be used. If this works well, this would really be a big deal. I don't hear anybody talking about this. I wonder if this extra processing only refers to Sony/Zeiss lenses?
J. Paul
It might be something relating to shooting jpegs, I don't know if anyone's ever attempted to do stuff to the raw data before it's been recorded, and it might disappoint people if they don't like it and there's no way to turn it off.

jpaulmoore

Kolor-Pikker, you may be right on this. I guess we will just have to wait and see when it comes out.

My main interest in pre-ordering this camera is in hopes that it will give me a good upgrade path from my Canon 1Ds Mark III where I can use my 17 & 24mm TS lenses with the Metabones adapter.