The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I am Impressed with the Sony A7R

CS6 has profiles for a great number of lenses. I use it mostly to correct mustache distortion for the elmarit r 19. Unfortunately, the WATE is not profiled, at least on my version

f6cvalkyrie

My freshly downloaded version of Lightroom (Version 5.2 with Camera Raw 8.2) also lists the WATE.

But, I don't own a WATE (yet)

C U,
Rafael

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
PT lens correction may have it also. I had the developer build the Leica 19r lens correction for me. Works great too. He can build for any lens also

Guy Mancuso

Maybe Im crazy but I had a thought here. Get the A7r body buy the NEWLY released Sigma 24-105 F4 art series lens ( if anything like the 35 1.4 its killer) and buy it in the Sony A mount use with adapter than it can be converted for free when the new FE mount is made for it. Worst case at 900 dollars even if you could not convert over the the FE you could sell it. To me this gets rid of the waiting time at a good cost factor to get a decent zoom for it. Im entertaining this one a lot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009624-REG/sigma_635_205_24_105mm_f4_dg_os.html

Michiel Schierbeek

Maybe Im crazy but I had a thought here. Get the A7r body buy the NEWLY released Sigma 24-105 F4 art series lens ( if anything like the 35 1.4 its killer) and buy it in the Sony A mount use with adapter than it can be converted for free when the new FE mount is made for it. Worst case at 900 dollars even if you could not convert over the the FE you could sell it. To me this gets rid of the waiting time at a good cost factor to get a decent zoom for it. Im entertaining this one a lot.

Sigma 24-105mm F/4 DG OS HSM Lens for Sony DSLR Cameras 635-205
That's what I thought as well but then for Sony they are still only for preorder and that could take as long as the Zeiss 24-70.
The reach is interesting but with the adapter it will become a big apparatus all together again.

algrove

But when/if they come out with an FE version, it could give the 24-70 some stiff competition with more reach for perhaps less money.

k-hawinkler

I would think non-Sony lenses will miss out on some in-camera processing, similar to non-Olympus lenses on the E-M1.

Guy Mancuso

But when/if they come out with an FE version, it could give the 24-70 some stiff competition with more reach for perhaps less money.
Exactly what i am thinking and you get the remount for free in there new program than sell off the adapter

Ron Pfister

What we really need is a range of SLR-to-E-mount adapters with a solid rotating collar and integrated Arca plate. Novoflex' current offering is too flimsy and fiddly, IMO. Anyone care to make one?

algrove

The Metabones adapters that I have just received are solid and include an Arca QR plate built into the adapter.

k-hawinkler

I have some Metabones adapters, some of which arrived faulty.
On a Nikon G to NEX E adapter the aperture control ring cannot be turned.
On a Nikon G to MFT adapter the aperture control ring is too lose.

In contrast the Novoflex adapter and separate collar are solidly engineered, as expected.
I use them on tripod without any issues. For freehand use I remove the collar.

Shac

Agree with Karl-Heinz on the qiality of the Novoflex adapters and tripod collar. After using several cheap adapters (for nikon, Leica M & R, Olympus OM and Pen F) without any problems on Nex 5N and 6, I recently bought (mainly used) Novoflex adapters principally b/c of the tripod collars - for my work these are the way to go.

algrove

I am a bit upset by Novoflex right now. I bought one of the first coded R-M adapters with white paint strip for #3 Leica 6 bit code position. Soon after I got mine, which was 1 or 2 weeks, they started coding the adapters with drilled & painted holes for the 6 bit coding.

My camera will not now recognize the painted adapter which is about 4 weeks old now and used three times. I asked my dealer to see if they could appeal to Novoflex to change out mine for the drilled variety. They said no way and did not even offer to drill mine out as a courtesy. They said buy another one. I am a little surprised by their reaction.

Maybe I was asking too much, but the painted one does not work. I already had a non-coded one, but bought the coded one because I wanted the EXIF data to indicate which R lens I was using. I refuse to buy 3 adapters in order to get one to work.

MR on LuLa said he used the Metabones and I have one. They are very solid and appear to be well made. It is just a simple L/R-E mount one. Since many of my R lenses have their own tripod mount and they rotate on their own, I really do not mind that the mount does not rotate. I have a Leica STA-1 which I use on R lenses that do not rotate so I can appreciate what you guys are saying about the need for Novoflex collars.

V

Vivek

IMO, Novoflex should be appreciative of the mirrorless scene (a great boon to them) and act accordingly. The ones from China and HK are no less inferior. Many of them use the same precision tools, CAD CAM used in Germany or Japan.

Add to this mix, someone creative like Hawk that others (including Voigtlander and Novoflex) tend to emulate, much much later.

I think creativity, service and quality should be rewarded.

Ron Pfister

My experience has been that even an APO-Telyt-M 135 is pretty much untenable on an NEX-body while using the camera's tripod mount. With SLR-lenses, the problem is even more pronounced, since the bulk of the mass is far away from the E-mount.

While I have to confess that I don't own Novoflex adapters or their tripod collar, the latter product's slim size (it has to fit their M-to-E-mount adapter, after all), and the fact that the foot protrudes quite far from the lens make me seriously doubt its stability.

To those of who own the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX: what has your experience been when using this collar with all but the lightes SLR lenses (e.g. with a Makro-Planar 2/50 or larger/heavier lenses)? Are such combos really stable when using shutter speeds in the critical 1/50 to 2 sec range?

My experience with the D800E shows that even a very solid tripod mount can be compromised by the slightest flaw in the additional camera support components (i.e. tripod head and tripod). For example, I have found that the seemingly very sturdy Arca d4 head is inadequate for my longer lenses, even if a very sturdy built-in lens collar is present (e.g. Leica-R telephoto lenses).

With the A7R, it is therefore critical that we have very solid lens support options available if we are to reap the resolution advantage that the 36MP sensor offers over the 24MP sensor of the A7. I suspect this to be of particular importance due to the light weight of the camera and the lack of an electronic 1st shutter curtain.