The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I am Impressed with the Sony A7R

V

Vivek

Ron, The tripod mount in a NEX (any NEX) is total garbage. It is not bolted to any chassis (none are present!) and so is the lens mount (plastic bayonet teeth).

The A7/7R construction appear to be better (I am still not sure about them though) but do not come close to even the "low end" of Nikon cameras.

I would definitely avoid hanging any heavy lenses and I would certainly not mount any heavy set up on a tripod. These cameras have severe limits when it comes to these. Sad but true.

This is why I wonder about the Novoflex prices. All those HK/China made adapters are all metal and much better made (in general) than the NEX cameras themselves!

Ron Pfister

...I would definitely avoid hanging any heavy lenses and I would certainly not mount any heavy set up on a tripod. These cameras have severe limits when it comes to these. Sad but true...
That's exactly my point! To solve this problem, I think we need lens adapters with sturdy built-in rotating collars. I'm convinced there will be a market for that...

V

Vivek

Good point. However, what I am pointing out is that the E mount is susceptible being worn out being plastic. One ought to be mindful of that.

(It is a pity the Apo Telyt 135 does not come with a built in tripod collar like the 135/4.5 Hektor.)

algrove

Good point. However, what I am pointing out is that the E mount is susceptible being worn out being plastic. One ought to be mindful of that.

(It is a pity the Apo Telyt 135 does not come with a built in tripod collar like the 135/4.5 Hektor.)
And like the 135/4.0 Elmar.

The best way to use R telephotos which have their own tripod mount is to put a QR plate on them and then you can use the built in swivel to rotate the lens and attached camera.

k-hawinkler

IMO, Novoflex should be appreciative of the mirrorless scene (a great boon to them) and act accordingly. The ones from China and HK are no less inferior. Many of them use the same precision tools, CAD CAM used in Germany or Japan.

Add to this mix, someone creative like Hawk that others (including Voigtlander and Novoflex) tend to emulate, much much later.

I think creativity, service and quality should be rewarded.

Well, I don't seem to be the only one who encounters problems with Metabones adapters.

Need you Sherlocks to figure out Metabones / ZE 21mm mystery - FM Forums

Ron Pfister

The best way to use R telephotos which have their own tripod mount is to put a QR plate on them and then you can use the built in swivel to rotate the lens and attached camera.
I agree completely. But there is a significant number of rather heavy SLR lenses (I'm looking at you, Leica and Zeiss) that don't offer a tripod collar. The stability of these lenses is generally not a problem when attached to a tripod-mounted DSLR (due to the sturdy tripod mounts of these cameras). With most mirrorless cameras, the situation is quite different, as Vivek pointed out. We need a good solution for that...

f6cvalkyrie

I had a similar problem to mount my E-M5 with a Nikkor 80-200/2.8 on tripod.
I found the solution with a Quick Release Lens Collar from Kirk Entreprises :

Kirk Enterprises : Quick Release Lens Collars

I see only a few solutions for Nikkor, but who knows, if they have demand, they might consider other lens brands ...

(not related to Kirk in any way !)

C U,
Rafael

V

Vivek

Well, I don't seem to be the only one who encounters problems with Metabones adapters.

Need you Sherlocks to figure out Metabones / ZE 21mm mystery - FM Forums
K-H, I am not pitching for Metabones* or anyone in particular, to be clear. What I would like to point out is that over priced adapters are a waste on the E mount (for the reasons already explained) and to Lou's (algrove)post on his experience with Noflex.

Anyone can put 2 and 2 together, I suppose. :)

*I have exactly 2 adapters from them. A Speed Booster and a Contax G adapter that came with a 90/2.8 Sonnar. Both work fantastically well and are far better made than the cameras that are mounted on. I will say the same thing about a (no name) E to MD adapter I bought recently for a whopping 9 Euros (shipped).

k-hawinkler

Vivek,

I am glad the cheap stuff works for you as I don't seem to be quite so lucky.
The Metabones R to E SpeedBooster I have also has developed problems with its mount.
One can easily turn it 360 degrees in the E flange. Poor quality I would say.

V

Vivek

There is a difference between "cheap" and inexpensive, K-H. :) None of the inexpensive adapters I use on the NEX are "cheap". They are all finely machined metal pieces.

When Novoflex will not take back a faulty piece then it not only become expensive but "costly" as well. :eek:

Did you get a refund from Metabones?

k-hawinkler

Well, by your definition I then got some cheap stuff that wasn't inexpensive.
All Metabones offered was a refund but not a replacement.
I guess that saves them postage.

I have no connection with Novoflex other than as a customer.
I would say their adapters are pretty pricey but worth it to me.
If Novoflex has poor business practices then shame on them.
I didn't buy my gear directly from them but from B&H.
In my experience they have excellent business practices.

V

Vivek

That is great! :thumbs: Some of these adapter makers (unlike Novoflex and such) are not only making them just for money but are also classic nuts and photography enthusiasts. They are open to constructive suggestions and are helpful. Jinfinances (eBay), for example, has made custom stuff for me (just single piece). Hawk Peng, similar story. I will probably get a Summarit 40mm f/2.4 custom mounted for Leica M from MS Opticals. :)

Different strokes for different folks. :)

Ron Pfister

Seems like I derailed this thread a bit - sorry about that!

Back to the original topic: I, too, am truly excited about the A7R, and I'm curious to see how my Biogons will fare with its sensor. Looks like the 2.8/21 won't be so good, but I'm hoping the 2.8/35 will work well. This lens draws very nicely (at least from what I can see on APS-C), and it is really small and light.

teeraash

I would say get the Rigid.

These 2 images were shot wide open and it was near perfect in terms of sharpness edge-to-edge at 5.6.

Ron Pfister

Has anyone seen A7/R sample images taken with the Distagon ZM 4/18? I'm curious how this lens will fare. There is some color shift when used on the M9, I believe...