The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I am Impressed with the Sony A7R

Ron Pfister

Follow the link to Siammirrorless in this post. There are a couple of shots from the 18/4 ZM. Noticeable colour shift. No corner detail to check for smearing.
I completely missed this link. Thanks, Mike! Lots of interesting results there. The resolution of the available images is limited, but in general, it looks to me that the results are better than they would be if the same lenses were used with an NEX-7, which I find encouraging.

V

Vivek

The resolution of the available images is limited, but in general, it looks to me that the results are better than they would be if the same lenses were used with an NEX-7, which I find encouraging.
Pixel pitch, active pixel area come into play.

See: Crop factor: An analysis of the "pixel density advantage" pixel size and sensor size of the Sony SLT-A77 and Sony SLT-A65 digital cameras compared with the Sony A7R. Pixel size and sensor size of Sony A7R and Sony A77

The A7R should be better than the NEX-6 (which is very good, IME) from that angle.

Ron Pfister

Pixel pitch, active pixel area come into play.
...snip...
The A7R should be better than the NEX-6 (which is very good, IME) from that angle.
Yes, naturally. But then again the sensor area is much larger, resulting in an even shallower angle of incidence near the edges of the frame, and we're seeing parts of the image circle of the RF lenses that we've never seen on a non-Leica FF-sensor. Can't wait to be able to test myself...

V

Vivek

Correct! Then it becomes a matter how good the lenses are rather than the sensor, isn't it? :)

Ron Pfister

Correct! Then it becomes a matter how good the lenses are rather than the sensor, isn't it? :)
With WA lenses, what I'm particularly interested in is how the lenses interact with the sensor and it's design features (microlens array, sensel well depth, etc.). But in the end, it's the result that matters - as always :)

I think the A7R will be a very versatile digital back for all sorts of lenses, from SLR super-tele to WA RF (I hope)...

jlm

Workshop Member
nice to see something on the front that looks like a real lens

Last edited:

algrove

Had to look again very carefully and Yes I see them. That rates a WOW from me. I wonder if my 50/2.8 Elmar-M will be as good as that?

MikalWGrass

I don't get it. So far the pictures look they could have been shot with a 10 mp point and shoot. Almost any camera can be made to take good shots of stationary objects. The Siammirrorless photos on alpharumors are boring, and don't really show much of anything. The camera seems pretty versatile as long as you confine your shooting to berries, flowers, or slow moving people.

V

Vivek

Actually, I did not see any shots of murals and such. :D

Siammirrorless, in particular, made shots of historic places. I wish to visit them some day.

10 P&S? :confused:

Would you say the same about Leica M?

Michiel Schierbeek

I don't get it. So far the pictures look they could have been shot with a 10 mp point and shoot. Almost any camera can be made to take good shots of stationary objects. The Siammirrorless photos on alpharumors are boring, and don't really show much of anything. The camera seems pretty versatile as long as you confine your shooting to berries, flowers, or slow moving people.
The only difference is this is a 36,4 million pixel point and shoot. :D

On the third summitar detail shot I now see some beauty support parts on her eyelids.
Looks like this camera can extract a lot of detail for a lens from the fortys. :bugeyes:

MikalWGrass

Vivek

I can't tell the difference between an image from an M9, the M240, or many other cameras unless I was told which cameras the photos were taken with. I think many on this and the other fora are in the same boat. And yes, I think that for viewing purposes, a skillful photographer can do a lot more with a 10 mp point and shoot than I and most of us ever could with a 36 mp 7R and the best glass.

I too would like to visit the places in Siammirrorless's photos but that doesn't mean they are good photos that show the real worth and truth of the camera.

Michiel, yes, 36.4 is a lot of point and shoot.

I have young kids that move around a lot and that do all kinds of sports. The a900 is severely tested each time I want to take sports shots of a water polo player, swimmer, or gymnast rapidly approaching - if I am trying to shoot on autofocus. The tracking system for approaching figure is pretty worthless, even I employ whatever tricks of the trade that are out there - if I am shooting autofocus.

If the 7r has a better autofocus tracking system for those figures that are approaching rather than traveling parallel to me, I would seriously consider getting it. Otherwise, I will keep the a900 and then fiddle around with the 7R in January when Marc (fotografz) comes to Miami to shoot my son's bar mitzvah.