The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why I am Impressed with the Sony A7R

V

Vivek

Agree, TA gives reason for pause. But he has such an eagle eye that most of what he finds wrong I do not seem to with 20x30 prints so far. My eyes are just not as well trained as TA's.

Just recently there was a SAR post about a guy who really liked the kit 28-70. Go figure?

I am confused and as such cannot wait for real data from Europe or in December, if I get mine that month.
Only one more week to go here. 19th or 20th Nov. I will not be buying any of the FE zooms.

There are even staunch fans of the E 16/2.8. There is appreciation for everything. :clap:

algrove

Maybe some of my Contax G lenses will work with that Techart AF adapter.

Hello out there any Koreans with an a7/a7r?

Link should've said DPR, then I could anticipate stuff like this before opening the page:

Code:
                                        α7	          α7R
Front panel construction	Magnesium alloy	       Composite
Weight (loaded)	                       474 g	          465 g
They got it backwards yo, the a7R has the magnesium front panel and dials and thus weighs 9 g more.

As always, avoid the forums and comments section, it's like with Youtube but for cameras.

Michiel Schierbeek

Link should've said DPR, then I could anticipate stuff like this before opening the page:

Code:
                                        α7	          α7R
They got it backwards yo, the a7R has the magnesium front panel and dials and thus weighs 9 g more.

As always, avoid the forums and comments section, it's like with Youtube but for cameras.
Tut tut tut.....not so strand please :)

Besides this hasty mistake I found some useful information esspecially in the - Shooting experience - section.

V

Vivek

Code:
                                        α7	          α7R

Amaxon wants to push the A7 (sales lagging behind the A7R apparently) hence the "review" arm of them does that. :ROTFL:

Annna T

Amaxon wants to push the A7 (sales lagging behind the A7R apparently) hence the "review" arm of them does that. :ROTFL:
? I don't see how that can be true : their studio scene sample is only showing the A7r for now, if they wanted to push the A7 sales, they would have shown the A7 samples instead of the A7r samples.

Then reading the fifth page of the prereview here is what they wrote under the subtitle of "Which one do I prefer" :

"So which do I prefer?

After shooting with the α7 and α7R for some time, I preferred the α7R for its faster, more reliable autofocus and better images overall. Naturally, I wanted to prefer the α7, with its lower-res 24MP sensor and lower price. The main reason I preferred the α7R: I liked the images better, and I liked the experience better. "

mbroomfield

Code:
                                        α7	          α7R

From the Sony website
A7r
•Weight(Approx) (Main unit only) : Approx. 14.4 oz. (407 g)
A7
•Weight(Approx) (Main unit only) : Approx. 14.7 oz. (416 g)

Thorkil

these Pictures look great I must admit:
Sony A7r sample images | Cameralabs
but I don't need a 36Mp sensor, but if the 7R is the only one of them that does have the inclined micro lenses designed for wide M-lenses etc., and no AA + the ability to go useful up to 12.800...then that might be rather tempting(even though a 24Mp would better suit my needs).
Even the Nikkor 14-24 f.8 Picture looks great. And a Samyang 14/2.8 would be a realistic possibility too.
thorkil

Ron Pfister

OK, here some images, although they aren't mine. Focus Numérique has some A7R RAW samples available for download here: Test Sony A7R - Focus Numrique

I downloaded one of the samples, converted it to DNG, and took a closer look in LR4.

Near the highlights, I noticed horizontal streaks that looked to me like internal reflection artefacs:

I don't think this is a case of sensor blooming. My impression is that these are reflections within the sensor toppings. I don't remember having seen anything like this before. Any insights would be most welcome!

k-hawinkler

OK, here some images, although they aren't mine. Focus Numérique has some A7R RAW samples available for download here: Test Sony A7R - Focus Numrique

I downloaded one of the samples, converted it to DNG, and took a closer look in LR4.

Near the highlights, I noticed horizontal streaks that looked to me like internal reflection artefacs:

I don't think this is a case of sensor blooming. My impression is that these are reflections within the sensor toppings. I don't remember having seen anything like this before. Any insights would be most welcome!

Many thanks Ron. Very interesting.
I also see some rainbow colors, especially in the horizontal light strips.
Do you think that's a problem inside the camera or a consequence of the chandelier?

BTW, I processed their ISO 12,800 image sony-a7r-exemple17.ARW in CS6 and Nik.
The image cleans up very nicely and has excellent IQ.
I will have no problem using the A7R with ISO 12,800 to even higher ISO values.
As expected! Terrific!

Thanks again for pointing the way. :)

Ron Pfister

Very interesting.
I also see some rainbow colors, especially in the horizontal light strips.
Do you think that's a problem inside the camera or a consequence of the chandelier?
It's exactly these rainbow colors that made me think that it's a reflection within the sensor toppings (with the sensor surface structure acting as a diffraction grating). I wonder if that's what we're seeing here.

Since the effect is not very pronounced, despite the highlights being very bright, I don't think it's something we need to generally worry about, though.

BTW, I processed their ISO 12,800 image sony-a7r-exemple17.ARW in CS6 and Nik.
The image cleans up very nicely and has excellent IQ.
I will have no problem using the A7R with ISO 12,800 to even higher ISO values.
As expected! Terrific!

Thanks again for pointing the way. :)
You're most welcome!

I, too, am very pleased with what I've seen so far. I see no reason to deviate from my preliminary conclusion that the A7R delivers greater detail and more subtle contrast than the D800E. Exciting, indeed! :)