The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent convert to RX1-R - now I get it.

Tanngrisnir

I see even RX1rs come down to near 2000 dollar levels. this is insane. Sony cameras are awesome but does not retain retail value (nothing does, but this is especially fast drop). Might pick one up. I never thought this day would come but I'm thinking about selling my M9p to get either a Rx1R or even A7r... I don't know
Ack!!!

Where did you see RX1Rs for close to $2000?!?!?!?!?!?

mmbma

I think the Rx1R is over rated. 99% the same with RX1. which is at least 700 bucks cheaper on second hand market

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think the Rx1R is over rated. 99% the same with RX1. which is at least 700 bucks cheaper on second hand market
TBH I'd have bought either. I agree that any differences are pretty minor, especially if you are shooting handheld.

philber

There is now sufficient evidence in my mind that a camera and lens that were designed to work together offer synergistic benefits to the user. That is IMHO the case with Fuji X-100(s), RX-I(r), Sigma DP 1, 2, 3.
Even to a large extent, Zeiss Touit 12 and 32 with NEX, and if early images are anything to go by, Zeiss FE 35 and 55 with Sony A7(R)

JCT

TBH I'd have bought either. I agree that any differences are pretty minor, especially if you are shooting handheld.
I agree 100% - I would have bought either, but in my case only the RX1r had a 10% EDU discount through Sony, so I took the nearly $300 off and went with it.

ramosa

I agree 100% - I would have bought either, but in my case only the RX1r had a 10% EDU discount through Sony, so I took the nearly $300 off and went with it.
I just bought the R version, but I doubt I'd be easily able to note the difference in resulting images.

Kyndel

Anybody has both the RX-1/RX1r and a Sigma DP Merrill ?

I have all 3 small Merrills and love them - for daylight shooting, and I really think they are better than the Sony RX1 - in daylight, I like the colors and the clarity much more, and I do not miss my Nikon D3x anymore.

But - and that is my point - I have never seen so beautifull color rendering at night/dark than with the Sony RX1/r, and I am very tempted.

Anybody ? - because I have only seen the Sony RX-shots at the net.

Thanks

GrahamWelland

Zabriske Point, Death Valley.

I was shooting large format there this week and this was a snapshot with the Sony.

Btw, what's the big deal about large format? :toocool:

GrahamWelland

I'm just still blown away by the colours and clarity of the zeiss 35/2. The shots above were at f/2 and the following f/11:

Kyndel

Very beautifull shot, but generel I still like the Sigma Merrill better in daylight. Here in your shot you also have some darkness, and when I look at the night shots from this camera, where there of course are some darkness, but more "around" (sorry perhaps not fine English), it has this touch, it really makes the special colors "pop" in a certain way, as I see it, and that could make me buy it alone for this.