The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent convert to RX1-R - now I get it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A week in and I only have a three letter acronym ... OMG!!!

I shoot a lot of high end gear but recently I had the opportunty to get an RX1-R and all the accessories at an embarrasingly low price. All I can say after only a week is that I'm shocked, literally shocked, at the quality. I have the full Fuji combos including my previously favourite X100s but I have to say that the Sony has seriously put even that camera in it's place.

I didn't quite understand the fanboy enthusiasm for the Sony RX1 until now. Consider me smitten :)

Pics to follow ...

Last edited:
I understand completely. I have the regular RX1 and it is liberating to be able to carry such a small camera and not feel like you are giving up much IQ.

Shashin

I won't say I told you so because gloating is just not part of my nature. :p

It is just like a miniature Alpa TC with a fixed lens and AF.

GrahamWelland

Better late to the party than never :D

I agree about the TC comment but with the advantage of high ISO support and super colour and almost flawless exposure metering.

tashley

Subscriber Member
+1 from me. It has really great IQ. If the A7R ends up as an RX1 with great interchangeable lenses, 36mp and a built-in EVF I will be a pig in poo. But I have my fears...

Tim

It is just like a miniature Alpa TC with a fixed lens and AF.
I feel this way about the DP2 Merrill as well. They both deliver similar high levels of IQ. The Sony is more capable of higher ISOs.

On a side note, no one that I have seen has mentioned the effect of the A7/r on the price of the RX1.
I suspect it might get pushed down a bit.

Shashin

But the A7s do not have that 35mm f/2 lens. And that lens is made for that sensor--you could not take that design and fit it on a A7. So, yes, great sensor. But that is just half the equation.

Personally, I have no great interest in an A7 mostly because it is going the wrong way--I want a small camera.

roanjoh

I myself am VERY interested - felt that it was WAAAY overpriced when it was introduced but it was (and still is) a REVOLUTIONARY product and the first of its kind so the premium price is justifiable. With a little patience though, the used market price for the RX1 should free-fall once the A7/7r (even Nikon DF) hits the market........(I've seen them hit below $2000 mark now). $1500 or lower and I will snag one.

Tim

But the A7s do not have that 35mm f/2 lens. And that lens is made for that sensor--you could not take that design and fit it on a A7. So, yes, great sensor. But that is just half the equation.

Personally, I have no great interest in an A7 mostly because it is going the wrong way--I want a small camera.
Yes, I totally understand and agree. The DP 's also have "matched" lenses I believe. For some of us this is best way to access to great IQ. There is some obvious limitation but you learn to work with it.

Like "roanjoh" I am watching the RX1 prices also.

ramosa

I'm entering the ring, too. Having used an M8 and then M9 for the past 6-plus years, I have ordered an RX1-R. I view it as experimentation and don't plan on retaining both RX1-R and M9. I normally shoot with a 35mm lens, so I'm not overly concerned with the fixed lens on the Sony. I was actually expecting that Sony would release a RX2 this year, with improved auto focus and built-in viewfinder. But that's clearly a year off--and I'm not at all interested in the A7. Anyway, I look forward to this experiment and plan to stick with either the RX1-R or M9.

JCT

I'm enjoying mine as well - take it *everywhere* , as a matter of fact I was in the market for a new small backpack for travel and went with the next size up to make sure I could bring the Rx1R along....

algrove

The RX-1 is liberating camera for street for myself. I can take metro photos and the people 4-5 feet away do not even know I am taking their image. Viva leaf shutters!

V

Vivek

The RX-1 is liberating camera for street for myself. I can take metro photos and the people 4-5 feet away do not even know I am taking their image. Viva leaf shutters!
How do you do that?

mmbma

I see even RX1rs come down to near 2000 dollar levels. this is insane. Sony cameras are awesome but does not retain retail value (nothing does, but this is especially fast drop). Might pick one up. I never thought this day would come but I'm thinking about selling my M9p to get either a Rx1R or even A7r... I don't know

V

Vivek

I see even RX1rs come down to near 2000 dollar levels. this is insane.
In Europe, they are still very very expensive. At $2000, they will sell like hot cakes here but Sony do not want to do that.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Really? I get to be the first to use this?
:worthless:

And not that I doubt you, Graham, but what cameras exactly haven't you liked? :D

But on a more serious note. I'm finding these days that I use a camera if I *like* the files it produces. If it feels like fighting in post, I don't take that camera out as quickly next time. (It's a hobby - it's supposed to be fun.) It sounds like you like this camera, in addition to being impressed by it.

--Matt (who, for some reason, never uses a 35mm lens on FF.. now if they had a 28mm version....)

GrahamWelland

And not that I doubt you, Graham, but what cameras exactly haven't you liked? :D

But on a more serious note. I'm finding these days that I use a camera if I *like* the files it produces. If it feels like fighting in post, I don't take that camera out as quickly next time. (It's a hobby - it's supposed to be fun.) It sounds like you like this camera, in addition to being impressed by it.

--Matt (who, for some reason, never uses a 35mm lens on FF.. now if they had a 28mm version....)
I'm not a big fan of my Nikon d600/d800 - really not excited by either. Hated my Panasonic m4/3 cameras. Actually, that's all of the m4/3rds actually.

I found it best only to buy what I like using. :)

I agree entirely about the post processing comment - if it's too much work to get what I want then it's not a good fit. That's probably why I'm not a Nikon fan that much these days with the d800 vs MF.

Ulfric Douglas

I was hoping for an RX2 with a 50mm lens, but now I'm less hopeful : the A7 might have nipped that idea in the bud.
I expect RX1 sales to nose-dive right now too : not because there's something better, but just because there's something ELSE.