The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R & legacy lenses via adapter questions

gurtch

I have a sizeable collection of various older manual focus SLR lenses, including some rather obsure ones such as Exakta, Topcon, Praktina, Miranda, Edixa, Konica, Petri, etc, as well as more common AI Nikkors, Minolta MD, Leica R, etc. If I use these on a new Sony A7R with an adapter, I assume I must use manual lens stop down, correct? Would I focus wide open, then manually stop down? If so, will the viewfinder go dark from stopping down (necessitating a tripod)?

I am fortunate to also have kept my A900 and Zeiss, Sony, and Minolta AF lenses. What will the difference be in using the newer LA-E4 vs LA-E3?

Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

k-hawinkler

I have a sizeable collection of various older manual focus SLR lenses, including some rather obsure ones such as Exakta, Topcon, Praktina, Miranda, Edixa, Konica, Petri, etc, as well as more common AI Nikkors, Minolta MD, Leica R, etc. If I use these on a new Sony A7R with an adapter, I assume I must use manual lens stop down, correct? Would I focus wide open, then manually stop down? If so, will the viewfinder go dark from stopping down (necessitating a tripod)?

I am fortunate to also have kept my A900 and Zeiss, Sony, and Minolta AF lenses. What will the difference be in using the newer LA-E4 vs LA-E3?

Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Hi Dave,

You seem to have an incredible collection of lenses I certainly would like to learn more about which ones are winners on the A7R.
I shoot Leica M, R, and V, Nikkor, and native lenses on NEX-5N, NEX-7, E-M5, and E-M1.
It's easiest for me to focus wide open. Then I can tell pretty much with magnification what actually is in focus.
As the EVFs also compensate for lower light levels, in principle, one can also focus until about f/8 in my experience.
However, the larger DOF then makes it more of a guessing game.

Depending on which lens I use, the EVF can get very dark when stopping down further.
Other lenses don't darken the EVF view significantly even when fully stopped down.

gurtch

Thanks Karl: Now I am very anxious to try some of my old glass again. I suspect they will not do justice to the 36 MP sensor, but fun any way! A nostalgic blast from the past. Also very practical; for example, I have a 45mm f2 MD Rokkor, which is almost a "pancake" lens. This with an adapter would make a wonderful compact camera, coupled with the A7R.
Best regards
Dave

k-hawinkler

Thanks Karl: Now I am very anxious to try some of my old glass again. I suspect they will not do justice to the 36 MP sensor, but fun any way! A nostalgic blast from the past. Also very practical; for example, I have a 45mm f2 MD Rokkor, which is almost a "pancake" lens. This with an adapter would make a wonderful compact camera, coupled with the A7R.
Best regards
Dave

I look at that slightly differently!
With improved sensor or lens, the new combination will be potentially better.
So, for example, say you go from 12 MP to 36 MP, but same lens.
Then compare the image of 36 MP scaled scaled down to 12 MP with the 12 MP image from the other camera.
You will find that the scaled down image actually will have greater detail.
What's not to like?

algrove

I am definitely warming to the idea of getting an a7r, especially if M or R wides work well without smearing.

K-H, I might just be a convert yet.

V

Vivek

Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
If so, will the viewfinder go dark from stopping down (necessitating a tripod)?
No it will stay bright enough to focus if you enable "settings effect" off.

What will the difference be in using the newer LA-E4 vs LA-E3?
Presumably much faster focus with the LA-EA4.

Also very practical; for example, I have a 45mm f2 MD Rokkor, which is almost a "pancake" lens. This with an adapter would make a wonderful compact camera, coupled with the A7R.
It will do fine but the length of the adapter is about the same of that lens! :)

Both can be picked (even now) for a total of <$50/-!

V

Vivek

Minolta 45/2 plus adapter is ready. Here is a taste of how this will pan out.

Minolta 45/2, NEX-6