The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

APS-C e-mount A7/A7R lenses test

Rawfa

Vivek, what do you think? Does it seem doable to change these APS-C lenses for work well on FF? :)

V

Vivek

So, you lifted that from these guys. :) : Mobile

Rafa,

It hurts me to say this- the 16/2.8 (without its rear baffle) is a definite to fully illuminate the FF (with drastic light fall off). I am not sure about the coverage though! It is the 5/5 Heliar type lens construction that would enable it.

20/2.8 Possibly.

50/1.8 OSS (without rear baffle) most definitely! :) According Sony the OSS will work on A7/7R! :thumbs:

I am unsure of the E 24/1.8.

30/3.5 Yes. Full illumination (without the rear baffle)!

18-55 from ~24mm. OSS will not work.

Those are lenses I have. I will check on 20th Nov. :)

I want to get hold of a 10-18 f/4 OSS. This is the most intriguing lens in the E line-up, AFAIC (after the advent of A7/7R).

antara

does anyone have photos of the sony 50 1.8 ($250) on the A7? How much crop and resolution do you lose? would it be a quality and cheap portrait lens 75mm equivalent on the a7?

dandrewk

I want to get hold of a 10-18 f/4 OSS. This is the most intriguing lens in the E line-up, AFAIC (after the advent of A7/7R).
That was my wide angle lens for the A7 until the FE16-35 was released. Full coverage at around 12-15 mm, and there is a LR lens profile floating around.

Like many APS-C lenses on a FF camera, it was super sharp in the center, and got a bit fuzzy in the corners. Light fall off on the edges was easily contained.

Here is a shot I took with the lens in the Hoh Rainforest in Washington:

Full res here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i358m1ri36kyb2w/Olympic FR.jpg?dl=0

V

Vivek

Thanks, Dave. Somewhere between then and now I actually bought that zoom, tried a ~ 10 shots or so and returned it. There was something disconcerting about the images that I can't pin point. Illumination of the full frame, as you mention, in that FL range is there.

does anyone have photos of the sony 50 1.8 ($250) on the A7? How much crop and resolution do you lose? would it be a quality and cheap portrait lens 75mm equivalent on the a7?
No photos to share. I would say not worth the bother.

FWIW, the 24/1.8 (without the rear baffle) covers more of the frame than the 50/1.8 and the quality is much better as well.

serhan

Here is 50mm 1.8 OSS on A7R, wide open 24MP equiv crop ~ 61mm f/2.3 equiv (1.22x crop)

So on A7 you can get around 16MP at max opening without removing the baffles. Normal 1.5x crop gives you 10MP.

ggibson

Might as well get the 55mm f1.8 and crop it how you like.

If you're looking for an affordable option, the Sigma 60mm f2.8 could be good at $220 new. I tried it out for a while before I picked up the 55. The 60mm covers a decent amount of full frame with the baffle removed, especially at macro distances. You could crop 1.2x and get rid of pretty much all of the corner vignetting (so around 20MP on the A7). Here's a link to a few shots that I have online and a non-cropped sample for you:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/sets/72157646958328744/