The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just tried a 7 and an R

tashley

Subscriber Member
Mainly shot the R with the new 28-70 zoom, and was allowed to use my own memory card and keep the raw files, however am on the road and only have an ipad air with me until tomorrow evening. Files look nice but I suspect the lens has soft-ish edges, will report back after looking at the RAWs on a proper screen tomorrow.

First impressions: camera feels great, seems about same size as E-M1 but a little lighter with respective zooms. Menus and buttons feel clear and intuitive. Shutter is very loud and sounds like it is firing twice, I had to check I wasn't in continuous mode!

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim Ashley Photography | Sony a7r | _DSC0190.JPG

A few OOF pegs at each major focal length and significant aperture. I have no idea what the settings were but I do have the RAWs which I can't upload until I get to a real computer. So best take these with a large pinch of salt...also target not great but best I could get to!

iiiNelson

Mainly shot the R with the new 28-70 zoom, and was allowed to use my own memory card and keep the raw files, however am on the road and only have an ipad air with me until tomorrow evening. Files look nice but I suspect the lens has soft-ish edges, will report back after looking at the RAWs on a proper screen tomorrow.

First impressions: camera feels great, seems about same size as E-M1 but a little lighter with respective zooms. Menus and buttons feel clear and intuitive. Shutter is very loud and sounds like it is firing twice, I had to check I wasn't in continuous mode!
Looking forward to your impressions/ review and how it compares to some of the other cameras that have recently been released this year.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thanks Tim!

Am I wrong to think: loud shutter=vibration=blur?

I never shot a mirrorless, and I know too little about it, but I assume lockup mirror function naturally does not exist anymore, right?

Hence I wonder how much impact the shutter induced vibration has on pictures with non IS enabled lenses, even from tripod.

biglouis

I too would like to know more about shutter noise.

Yesterday I covered a remembrance day event for a small society at the IWM London. I only used my RX1, the first time I have done so. One thing I was immediately aware of is that while photographing no one notice me because there is no shutter noise!

Made me think very carefully about the camera system I want.

LouisB

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member

Yesterday I covered a remembrance day event for a small society at the IWM London. I only used my RX1, the first time I have done so. One thing I was immediately aware of is that while photographing no one notice me because there is no shutter noise!

LouisB
Yeah, I imagine a sniper rifle sound effect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5lUX0RubcY is not so pleasant for event photography and may rise the one or other eyebrow. ;)

Perosnally, I am not bothered by the noise, doing landscape only, but the possibility of resulting blur would concern me.

algrove

LouisB
Agree from shutter noise standpoint the RX-1 has about no rival in the FF 24MP AF environment.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the comments and questions folks...

As for the shutter noise, slap and blur, I think I'd need to do some comparative testing but my impression is that it is a louder shutter than pretty much anything I have owned for the past few years apart from Phase One bodies. I also was at a Remembrance day ceremony today and didn't even want to shoot my EM-1 but the A7R would have been a total no-no. But as for shake, I will need to test for that when I get a full-time copy, which should be very soon.

One thing that has me scratching my head slightly is that to me the RAW files 'feel' somewhat different from the D800 and E. For some reason, maybe pre-production firmware, maybe different processing choices as the RAW file is part-baked, they feel like they have slightly less clean shadows, maybe a touch more chroma noise. I could so easily be wrong about this though, it is very hard to know without shooting a lot more frames and some comparative ones too. But from first impressions I would place this with an IQ180 rather than a D800 in terms of the processing feel of the file.

One more thing: I am quite intrigued by the 28-70 lens because it seems, to me, to have better edge performance than the 16-70 E Mount OSS that I recently tried, even after that lens had been repaired. Not perfect but actually better than I wold have thought for a Sony kit lens. It is full of distortion though, even at 50mm, and of course correcting that distortion chops off the edges and therefore loses the weakest parts but nonetheless...

Here is an in-camera JPEG compared to the simultaneously captured RAW file processed into JPEG with nothing but sharpening applied. It looks as if in-camera shading correction was applied to the RAW file but distortion corrections clearly weren't!

The full-sized files can be downloaded from the gallery

V

Vivek

Does anyone think/feel the noise can be dampen via firmware upgrade?
Unless there is total electronic shutter, no. The noise is physical shutter noise in a tiny body. Can't even use a blimp (will overheat and fry the camera)!

Don Libby

As for the shutter noise, slap and blur, I think I'd need to do some comparative testing but my impression is that it is a louder shutter than pretty much anything I have owned for the past few years apart from Phase One bodies.
Tim, are you saying the shutter noise is on par with a Phase DF?

Don

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, are you saying the shutter noise is on par with a Phase DF?

Don
Worry not Don, it isn't that loud or that much to wrangle. But it seems louder than any recent DSLR or M I have owned. Of course the only way to tell is to shoot side by side which I couldn't do. But the thing that I most noticed was the 'double' sound of it that literally made me check that I had made only capture...

Knorp

As for the shutter noise, slap and blur, I think I'd need to do some comparative testing but my impression is that it is a louder shutter than pretty much anything I have owned for the past few years apart from Phase One bodies.
Wow - louder than an M8 or M9 ... :shocked:
Are you sure, Tim ?

Kind regards.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Wow - louder than an M8 or M9 ... :shocked:
Are you sure, Tim ?

Kind regards.
I'm not sure until I directly compare - but all I can say was that it really surprised me. I am of course accustomed to the sounds of the other cameras I currently use but the last time I did a double take at a camera's shutter sound was the RX-1 (so quiet) and the Phase AFD and DF (so loud)...