The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

Ron Pfister

Yes, just sent an email. Interestingly, the adapter is no longer listed on their web page (neither under currently shipping nor under discontinued products), but it remains available from a number of resellers.

k-hawinkler

Yes, just sent an email. Interestingly, the adapter is no longer listed on their web page (neither under currently shipping nor under discontinued products), but it remains available from a number of resellers.

Thanks again. I need to test all sorts of adapters and especially long lenses and see whether some vignette way too much. Some of the existing adapters really were built for the NEX APS-C sensor. For example the Hawk's Factory adapter now has increased its diameter to 40 mm which may not be enough.

Leica User Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - The Sony A7 thread [Merged]

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/552725-post83.html

Ron Pfister

Thanks for the info, Karl-Heinz! Please let us know what you find.

Another related observation: I noticed that many of my SLR-lenses cause flare in very bright light when used on the A7R (by necessity with an adapter). I realized that this is due to the reflective rear surfaces of the bayonets being visible to the sensor. While this never seems to be an issue with DSLRs due to the baffling provided by the mirror box, light reflected by the sensor seems to cause flare very readily with the A7R. I have just gone postal, painting the rear bayonet surfaces all my Leitaxed lenses with a matte black paint pen. Problem gone! :)

ZoranC

I have previously reported about using the Voigtländer F-Adapter with the A7R. While this adapter works fine with short focal length lenses whose rear elements are generally very close to the mount or may even be protruding, I noticed today that the version of the adapter I own (purchased about a year ago) does vignette quite severely with lenses whose rear element is deeply recessed (i.e. most telephoto and macro lenses).

While it is possible to remove the baffle inside the rear mount of the adapter to resolve the vignetting problem, this is not for the faint of heart: the shimmed rear mount must be removed to do so, and highly reflective metal surfaces revealed by removing the baffle must be painted with matte black paint to avoid flare.

If you own this adapter, the above is definitely doable, but I would recommend against anyone buying this adapter specifically for use with the A7/A7R for the time being. Perhaps Voigtländer will release an updated version soon...
Ron, thank you for your input. I have went and ordered Novoflex adapter and hopefully that one will work just fine.

k-hawinkler

Thanks for the info, Karl-Heinz! Please let us know what you find.

Another related observation: I noticed that many of my SLR-lenses cause flare in very bright light when used on the A7R (by necessity with an adapter). I realized that this is due to the reflective rear surfaces of the bayonets being visible to the sensor. While this never seems to be an issue with DSLRs due to the baffling provided by the mirror box, light reflected by the sensor seems to cause flare very readily with the A7R. I have just gone postal, painting the rear bayonet surfaces all my Leitaxed lenses with a matte black paint pen. Problem gone! :)
Many thanks Ron. That's good to know.

Please have a look here:

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/553377-post57.html
Phigment LM-NEX: Electronic Leica -> NEX Adapter - FM Forums

Ron Pfister

Thanks for the info, Karl-Heinz! This thread is certainly a very valuable place to gather all this. I suspect there will be other unpleasant surprises. I imagine only a few adapters released before the A7/A7R-announcement were purposely designed for FF (Novoflex appearing to be one of the notable exceptions).

VINCET

Anyone have a suggestion for an adapter to use with the Leica WATE and the A7? When I tried it with one of the cheap adapter I got direct from Hong Kong, I got serious vignette even at 21mm.

k-hawinkler

Anyone have a suggestion for an adapter to use with the Leica WATE and the A7? When I tried it with one of the cheap adapter I got direct from Hong Kong, I got serious vignette even at 21mm.
That's really bad. That adapter apparently wasn't intended for FF.
I recommend the Novoflex NEX/LEM with Novoflex ASTAT-NEX.

algrove

Novoflex is very very good, but I tried the Metabones and it is very good also for just $89 at B&H. Actually got the suggestion for the Metabones M-E adapter from Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have order the Novoflex NEX/NIK and the ASTAT NEX, should arrive tomorrow. I will report back. The MTF adaptor was nicely made but I had a niggling doubt over infinity focus and I also had some vignetting on some lenses, notably the 100 Makro Planar and the 24mm PC-E unshifted. Maybe those lenses just won't adapt well, but soon enough I'll know!

k-hawinkler

I have order the Novoflex NEX/NIK and the ASTAT NEX, should arrive tomorrow. I will report back. The MTF adaptor was nicely made but I had a niggling doubt over infinity focus and I also had some vignetting on some lenses, notably the 100 Makro Planar and the 24mm PC-E unshifted. Maybe those lenses just won't adapt well, but soon enough I'll know!

Hi Tim, congratulations.
That's what I use without problems so far.
There is a trick though.
Before you attach a Nikkor lens you have to decide how to control the aperture.
You can set the ring on the adapter either wide open or closed down.
In one case the aperture is controlled by the lens aperture ring.
In the other case by the adapter aperture ring.
Very slick.

Also, I only attach the ASTAT-NEX when actually using a tripod.
When shooting handheld I take it off as it gets a little in the way.

Also, when using a lens without an aperture ring I use the camera lightmeter to aid setting the correct aperture I want.

Good luck.

Shac

Not sure if the A7's will be the same but with the Nex bodies I find the ASTAT awkward with the normal placement of the tightening screw (on the left looking at the camera - and as shown here) - gets in the way and difficult to operate. I unscrewed the collar from the Arca plate flipped it and refixed - works better for me. The original version had this orientation but also he screw was up not down, and, the plat was permanently attached to the collar.

k-hawinkler

The "Previous" is a much better design.
It doesn't interfere with my fingers on the camera grip.
I have to check whether I can't turn the collar around so that it looks like your "Current".
That would be an improvement over the way my ASTAT-NEX is right now.
Many thanks.

Shac

Karl - I agree totally (which is why I changed the orientation of my new versions) . Why they changed the design I have no idea but "progress" - however, it might be that the new design is more effective on a wider range of cameras.
If yours is the current version you should just need an Allen key wrench to make the change

k-hawinkler

Karl - I agree totally (which is why I changed the orientation of my new versions) . Why they changed the design I have no idea but "progress" - however, it might be that the new design is more effective on a wider range of cameras.
If yours is the current version you should just need an Allen key wrench to make the change
Many thanks. Will try. ;)
I had also tried mounting the adapter the wrong way.
But that unbalances the camera/lens combo.

Shac

I tried that too and came to the same conclusion. I consider myself lucky that I was able to buy used one of the old versions.

k-hawinkler

Many thanks. An Allen key wrench was just the right tool. I changed the ASTAT-NEX.
Now the ASTAT-NEX collar tightening screw doesn't get in the way at all when shooting handheld.
Way cool! :clap:
Thanks again.