The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

Ron Pfister

Victor, we should probably put this in a different thread, but I am not bothered by minor vignetting. I am bothered by MTF degradation in the corners. Some is always there, but the 90 seems relatively immune. I will try a flat field but that does not show the MTF problem. Need to put a resolution target in the corners for that. I believe Ron does that sort of thing.
No need for a resolution target. Any reasonably planar subject with fine structural detail spanning the entire frame will do (e.g. the proverbial brick wall, a straight row of trees, etc.). The fact that the A7R's sensor lacks an OLPF means that differences in MTF between center and corners will be very apparent.

Ron Pfister

I see that cameraquest shows the voigtlander close focus adapter ($309) is in stock now. Has anyone tried one on the A7/A7R? I used to have Hawk's for the Nex 7 and would like to have a helicoid adapter for the A7.
No, I haven't, but I'm curious about it, too. I have the Hawk's Helicoid, and it has a significant amount of slop.

Nettar

...The fact that the A7R's sensor lacks an OLPF means that differences in MTF between center and corners will be very apparent.
Ron, could you please elaborate on your argument here? I'm trying to figure out how the absence of a low-pass filter increases, or at least makes more apparent, the difference in MTF readings between the centre and corners. Is it that the filter has significantly greater effect on sharpness at the centre than at the edges? I'm grateful for whatever you can do to educate me!

It might educate some others, too. Indeed, it might help explain the findings in Mr Cicala's fascinating, and much discussed, piece: LensRentals.com - Sony A7R: A Rising Tide Lifts All the Boats?

Many thanks. Nettar

Ron Pfister

Nettar, sorry I wasn't clear. What I meant to say is that with the very high image detail that is afforded by the lack of an OLPF on the A7R's 36MP sensor, it is easier to spot even the most minute differences in image detail compared to a sensor that does feature an OLPF (A7). This of course applies throughout the sensor surface, but we are interested in comparing center to corners in this particular case...

Rawfa

Did anyone try the new Voigtlander VM-E close focus adapter? It is an adapter for e-mount that allows you to focus way closes with leica m lenses...which frankly it's the only thing that kept me from investing in leica glass over the years.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

Rafael, I have used the Hawks helicoid adapter (which I believe was the first such adapter for E-mount) extensively with the NEX-7. The manufacturing tolerances of that adapter aren't very tight at all, and it therefore has quite a bit of slop (it's pretty serious: you can see the lens move very obviously with respect to the camera when you focus or change the aperture, particularly when the helicoid is extended). I expect the Voigtländer to be better with this respect, but haven't seen it in the flesh.

I have yet to try the Hawks adapter on the A7R, and am wondering to what extent the corner performance problems with M-glass are affected by helicoid extension. In theory, the situation should improve due to the exit pupil moving away from the sensor, but there may be other factors at play, as well.

In general, though, I have decided to stay away from M-lenses with the A7R, but that's just me...

Rawfa

Thanks for the feedback, Ron. I'm very curious about this adapter in particular. Kipon also has one just like it but I could not find any tests with the A7/A7R.

Ron Pfister

If you're interested (and if Cosina states that it's FF compatible), I'd go for the Voigtländer. Judging by other Voigtländer adapters I have, my guess is it will be very well made (and they make the Zeiss Otus, so high quality is certainly known to them ;)).

turtle

Thanks for the feedback, Ron. I'm very curious about this adapter in particular. Kipon also has one just like it but I could not find any tests with the A7/A7R.
Well, I have two adaptors in the mail: one is the photodiox pro (coming from the US) and the Kipon (coming from the UK). Both should be here soon and I will comment then. Metabones had sold out, so I ordered the photodiox pro, before realising I could get a Kipon here in the UK.

Looking at the internet photos the Kipon does look nicely machined and has those touches like matt black ribbed throat to reduce reflections. We will see.

kienchil

The Metabones Mk III Smart Adapter may be of interest:

Metabones®
Remarkably my Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM is autofocussing on this adapter with my A7R (AFAIK it's only meant to work with native Canon lenses), it's slow and only accurate about 80% of the time however it's good enough for the only time I use autofocus, namely when I get someone to take a picture of me with my Camera :D.

Vulture

Has anyone used a Rollei QBM to NEX adapter? There are a limited number available and a previous adapter I purchased for m4/3 was a little gimmicky in how it depressed the aperture pin to allow the aperture to be controlled. If anyone has one that works well I'd be interested in the "maker".
Also, from what I read about Contax G to NEX adapters, Metabones and Kipon are the 2 best and each have their own problems, i.e. Metabones has a difficult method of changing lenses and Kipon focusing seem to be less smooth. Has either manufacturer cured their weakness by now? I suppose the Techart autofocus might be the ultimate answer, but would like to try my specific G lenses to see if it is worth the cost.
Thank you. These question may have been discussed ad infinitum but not in this thread so I'd appreciate someone to direct me to those discussions if they exist.

turtle

Turtle, did you order the regular leica-m adapter or the one with the close focus?
Ive ordered regular adaptors, with no close focus. Neither are here, which means the items were probably not actually in stock, as advertised by the sellers....

V

Vivek

Has anyone used a Rollei QBM to NEX adapter? There are a limited number available and a previous adapter I purchased for m4/3 was a little gimmicky in how it depressed the aperture pin to allow the aperture to be controlled. If anyone has one that works well I'd be interested in the "maker".

Thank you. These question may have been discussed ad infinitum but not in this thread so I'd appreciate someone to direct me to those discussions if they exist.

Search eBay and find the cheapest adapter listed (pixco). That one works with no worries. BTW, it also happens to be the best adapter I am using (for any lens mount) with a built in lens baffle and all!

Vulture

Thanks Vivek. Of the many adapters I've purchased, some of them actually look well made but the lenses don't fit well and the one I got for my Rollei SL35 lenses had a small ramp that was supposed to depress the aperture pin to close it down and it would catch the side of the pin and you could easily bend the pin if you forced it, not something I want to do to the Zeiss glass.
I have one other adapter I bought for EOS that also looked very nicely made but the lens flange was a bit too thick and the lenses either wouldn't even mount or were so tight you worried they would either not come off or distort the bayonet tabs on the lens.

ZoranC

Ron, thank you for your input. I have went and ordered Novoflex adapter and hopefully that one will work just fine.
Well, FedEx managed to lose my adapter and in the meantime both B&H and Adorama ran out of stock. Weather outside is beautiful, I few days off and number of Nikon lens I want to try, and no adapter that is not vignetting. Not fun.

jagsiva

The Novoflex G/E works well and is built well. It is a little tight fitting on the lens side and the little locking pin does put a scratch on the rear mount.