The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Rafael, I have used the Hawks helicoid adapter (which I believe was the first such adapter for E-mount) extensively with the NEX-7. The manufacturing tolerances of that adapter aren't very tight at all, and it therefore has quite a bit of slop (it's pretty serious: you can see the lens move very obviously with respect to the camera when you focus or change the aperture, particularly when the helicoid is extended). I expect the Voigtländer to be better with this respect, but haven't seen it in the flesh.

I have yet to try the Hawks adapter on the A7R, and am wondering to what extent the corner performance problems with M-glass are affected by helicoid extension. In theory, the situation should improve due to the exit pupil moving away from the sensor, but there may be other factors at play, as well.

In general, though, I have decided to stay away from M-lenses with the A7R, but that's just me...
Ron: I have been using the Hawks Helicoid (v.2) on an A7r for the last 10 days or so. Mine is not so sloppy, so I think there are some manufacturing tolerance things going on. There is some vignetting on some lenses (35mm Summilux) but strangely not on my WATE (or maybe I am not looking hard enough) but fairly easily correctable in ACR. I've now got a Phigment adapter coming, which will allow coded lenses to communicate with the camera. Except that one will surely vignette with my 135 (that what Paul at Phigment says). When I have the Phigment I will report. Since I had no Sony lenses until yesterday when the 55mm showed up, I used only Leica M lenses. So far my general reaction is that the Sony is okay but is not going to induce me to abandon my M(240).

ZoranC

Well, FedEx managed to lose my adapter and in the meantime both B&H and Adorama ran out of stock. Weather outside is beautiful, I few days off and number of Nikon lens I want to try, and no adapter that is not vignetting. Not fun.
Replacement Novoflex adapter arrived yesterday and good news, so far I couldn't see it causing any vigneting nor color cast with CV 40/2 Ai-S like CV adapter did. Tomorrow I am going to try it with old Sigma Macro 24/2.8.

thomas

My comment about the Novoflex LEM/NEX...

Actually I wanted a Voigtländer VM-E since I use a Voigtländer adapter for my Micro Four Thirds System and it features a real light trap. It also covers the entire bayonett of the lens (which is metal ... so may introduce internal reflections).
Since the Voigtländer was not available I've bought a Novoflex.
The tube of the Novoflex looks okay to me (ribbed surface) but the adapter doesn't cover the bayonett of the lens. So I've covered the bayonett of the lens (and since I was at it I've also covered the tube of the adapter) with some light trap material (flocked paper used in optics). See attachment before/after (just iPhone snaps... but I think they will do).
Building a little light trap and covering the bayonett of the lens shouldn't be so hard. So me personally I think the Novoflex is somewhat disappointing. It fits tight and the registration seems to be accurate, though. Still ... as soon as the Voigtländer is available again I'll buy one ...

ZoranC

My comment about the Novoflex LEM/NEX...

Actually I wanted a Voigtländer VM-E since I use a Voigtländer adapter for my Micro Four Thirds System and it features a real light trap. It also covers the entire bayonett of the lens (which is metal ... so may introduce internal reflections).
Since the Voigtländer was not available I've bought a Novoflex.
The tube of the Novoflex looks okay to me (ribbed surface) but the adapter doesn't cover the bayonett of the lens. So I've covered the bayonett of the lens (and since I was at it I've also covered the tube of the adapter) with some light trap material (flocked paper used in optics). See attachment before/after (just iPhone snaps... but I think they will do).
Building a little light trap and covering the bayonett of the lens shouldn't be so hard. So me personally I think the Novoflex is somewhat disappointing. It fits tight and the registration seems to be accurate, though. Still ... as soon as the Voigtländer is available again I'll buy one ...
I have both Novoflex and CV one. While Novoflex does not cover bayonet of lens completely on the other side bayonet on CV adapter itself is highly polished / reflective so neither is perfect and CV one might be more likely to introduce reflection and harder to combat reflection on.

scho

I just received the Samyang 24mm TS lens in Nikon mount and look forward to doing some landscape work with this lens when weather improves. I used a Novoflex Nikon to E mount adapter, coupled with the ASTAT-NEX for tripod mounting. Setup in image below is on a small Gitzo that is really not stable enough, but something that was convenient for some initial indoor testing. The lens is not as well made as the Canon 24 TSE II that I used earlier with Canon DSLRs, but it functions pretty much the same and image quality is OK. There is some distortion, but I don't plan on doing any critical architecture work so should be OK.

]

A quick two shot stitch, vertically shifted images. 65 mp original, downsized to 25%.

Another in 2 shot stitch horizontally shifted shots (shot through a glass door so reflections and bad image quality) 50 mp.

mjm6

I can't believe I am buying Canon FD lenses again! After I sold them all off about 15 years ago, I have just re-purchased two that I had before (85mm 1.2L and 50mm 1.2L).

I believe that the a7 and a7r are real game-changers for a lot of us... and these lens purchases only go to convince me more so.

Anyway, I need a FD--->FE adapter now. Does anyone have an opinion about the quality of adapters for Canon? Do the general opinions in this thread apply?

Thanks,

---Michael

Vulture

I bought the A7 in large part to use legacy lenses I have collected through the years but now I'm in a quandary because I have so many 24mm lenses. I seek council here as I would rather not have a "million" adapters and wonder what the consensus on which of these might be the best bet with the A7.
24mm f2.8 AIS Nikkor N
24mm f2.8 MD Rokkor X
24mm f3.5 Super Takumar SM
24mm f2.8 RMC Tokina for Olympus OM
25mm f2.8 Zeiss Distagon for Rollei SLR
I have ordered Nikon and Rollei adapters but of course these are the 2 largest lenses.
Thanks for any help offered.
FYI I tried the 21mm Super Angulon symmetrical for Leica R and as expected it is excellent in the center but gets soft with considerable fall off in the corners. I had adapted the lens to use on Leica M so was able to test it.

Ben Rubinstein

You probably know your lenses best. I have a 28mm Tak SMC and a 35mm Tak Super and both suck on my A7r even stopped down. Corners never come close to ok.

thomas

I have both Novoflex and CV one. While Novoflex does not cover bayonet of lens completely on the other side bayonet on CV adapter itself is highly polished / reflective so neither is perfect and CV one might be more likely to introduce reflection and harder to combat reflection on.
My Voitländer VM-E has been shipped today.
It covers the polished lens bajonett completely and features a real light trap. The polished part of the VM-E adapter's bajonett gets completely recessed in the bajonett of the camera.
Huge difference IMO...

Shac

FYI - I just received a Pixco adapter for Canon FD lenses - works fine but has the added bonus that the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX tripod collar fits this other adapter perfectly. The Pixco adapter was just under $16 too

Godfrey

The A7 body is here, waiting for the Novoflex LER/NEX adapter to arrive.

I'm going to stick with Leica R and Nikkor lenses, and Novoflex adapters. Next up I'll get the Nikon F to NEX adapter and the ASTAT/NEX mount for the tripod. After that a 24 or 28 mm lens and a set of the Skink pinhole/zone plates. The larger format will be a benefit for doing pinhole photography.

Has anyone used the Elmarit-R 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 mm lenses on the A7? or the Nikkor 24/2.8 and 28/2.8 or 28/2?

thx for any info!

Shac

Godfrey - I tested the Nikkor 24/2.8 AiS and found the following - mild vignetting gone by f5.6, centre sharp and improves a little with stopping down, corners soft WO but improve stopping down but not really acceptable until f8, CA in corners that's easily removed. In other words not perfect but quite useable IMO. Almost identical results with the earlier pre-Ai version, with the edge to the newer MF

Godfrey

Godfrey - I tested the Nikkor 24/2.8 AiS and found the following - mild vignetting gone by f5.6, centre sharp and improves a little with stopping down, corners soft WO but improve stopping down but not really acceptable until f8, CA in corners that's easily removed. In other words not perfect but quite useable IMO. Almost identical results with the earlier pre-Ai version, with the edge to the newer MF
Thanks! Is that on A7 or A7r?

Whatever of the four lenses I acquire I'll test on film alongside the A7 too. I won't fault the A7 if the same lens characteristic shows up on film. ;-)

G

Schmiddi

For those with Leica-R - lenses - I really can recommend the Leitax-adapter:

Inside it's matte black :) It is screwed to the original mount (screws are added), the mount is NOT replaced (as it's done when going Leica-R to Sony A-mount or what ever else). Fits perfectly to my A7R.

Andreas

Godfrey

Wow! Now that's a secure looking adapter, Andreas.
A bit of a pain if I want to interchange lenses between Leicaflex SL and A7, but maybe warranted for the big, heavy Elmarit-R 180/2.8 in particular...

G

jlm

Workshop Member
i've made quite a few Leica M screwmount to Leica M bayonet adapters for mounting old Leica and CV lenses, and also the female bayonets, which are the problem area, and spent a bit of time working out details. as mentioned, what holds the lens and body, lens and adapter flanges together is a spring that can get overloaded with heavier lenses, more extension.

i am considering a new concept that would eliminate the problem. so for example your R lens mounted to the A7/R would be wobble free both at the adapter and at the camera.

any interest?

nikonf

Count me in!
I would like to be able to use my 100mm Macro-Elmarit on the A7R.
Thanks,
Mike
i've made quite a few Leica M screwmount to Leica M bayonet adapters for mounting old Leica and CV lenses, and also the female bayonets, which are the problem area, and spent a bit of time working out details. as mentioned, what holds the lens and body, lens and adapter flanges together is a spring that can get overloaded with heavier lenses, more extension.

i am considering a new concept that would eliminate the problem. so for example your R lens mounted to the A7/R would be wobble free both at the adapter and at the camera.

any interest?