The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The A7/R Adaptor thread

Godfrey

i've made quite a few Leica M screwmount to Leica M bayonet adapters for mounting old Leica and CV lenses, and also the female bayonets, which are the problem area, and spent a bit of time working out details. as mentioned, what holds the lens and body, lens and adapter flanges together is a spring that can get overloaded with heavier lenses, more extension.

i am considering a new concept that would eliminate the problem. so for example your R lens mounted to the A7/R would be wobble free both at the adapter and at the camera.

any interest?
Certainly!

A notion to consider—one of the reasons I've settled on using the Novoflex adapters for the present is to be able to use the ASTAT/NEX tripod mount as well. That serves several ideas:

- It eliminates having to have a tripod mount on the camera body and isolates mount flex to the lens and body couplings independently.

- It eliminates having to use L-plates and allows for easy rotation of the camera/lens without moving the optical center of the lens at all.

- I can remove the tripod mount for hand-held shooting and not have the foot get in the way.​

So I would suggest you consider designing adapters compatible with the ASTAT/NEX tripod mounting or some similar type of universal tripod mounting that services these ideas.

G

Shac

+3 - and as I mentioned earlier or elsewhere, as well made as the Leitz replacement bayonet mounts are, there is still some play, whereas mounting an R lens directly with a Novoflex R-Sony adapter is solid

jlm

Workshop Member
spotted an error in the ultimate guide:

"The fit and finish of the FotodioX Hasselblad V to Sony E-Mount Adapter is really top quality just as you’d expect for a high-end product. It has a stainless steel lens mount that won’t expand or contract like brass."

stainless steel and bronze/brass are quite close in coefficients of thermal expansion:

ss: 9.9 x 10*-6 in/in-deg f
bronze: 10.2-10.4 x 10*-6 in/in-deg f

aluminum (used by Novoflex) is quite a bit more, 12.8

Godfrey

Recap: My aim is to use primarily my existing set of Leica R lenses on the A7.

To that end, I ordered the Novoflex LER/NEX adapter I knew I wanted, but decided to try a Kipon as well. It's nice to have two ...

They arrived today. The Novoflex is, as expected, excellent. The delight is that the Kipon is nearly on par with it. The finish isn't quite as nice, but it fits securely and precisely on both flanges and focuses infinity at exactly the same point.

That's a nice surprise for a piece that cost about a third what the other one did.

--- addendum
Have no time just at the moment, but I took a few minutes to fit the Summicron-R 90/2 (happened to be near to hand) and play with the A7 and lens put together. Not bad, the lens is large and a touch heavy, but it doesn't overwhelm the balance any more than a Summicron-M 90/2 did on my M4-2 years ago. I was able to make a couple of exposures around the office ... it's easy to focus with Peaking set to the middle setting and the magnification mapped to the AF/MF button. Encouraging.

Last edited: