The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 and A7R Shipping from Amazon Japan, $300+ less than US retail

Knorp

Very tempting, but how to avoid customs and consequently import duties ?

Kind regards.

V

Vivek

Bart, That is one worry (here but not the US, I think). The bigger problem is trying to read everything in Japanese. :shocked:

monza

Never had any duties from Japan shipments to USA; Netherlands…I would guess that isn't the case

SKueh

Any difference between the US and Japanese version? I remember on the early day of NEX 7 when US supply was short, people found out there was some differnce on the video system on those that came directly from Japan. What about warranty?

monza

If it's Japanese-default, with other language options, that's easy. :) If it's Japanese-only, now that's a true challenge!

:)

mmbma

If you can't figure out the Amazon JP page, use Rakuten.com. They are the #1 electronic seller, and they have both A7r and the A7 in stock, free shipping to USA

neil

I tried a Japanese version. The menu system is locked to Japanese language only. It cannot be changed to another language. Good value if you can read Japanese.

Neil

roanjoh

How do you say Mirror lock up in Japanese?! Oh wait, this camera don't have one! LOL! Seriously, I hope the US market will not be short stocked!

gurtch

I just did a Google search, and down loaded the complete A7R/A7 Instruction manual, in English.
Dave

neil

In Tokyo the sony a7r started to sell last Friday. On that day the three shops I walked past had the camera in stock. Today I walked past two of the shops again and the camera was available. Looks like there is a good supply of these cameras. There is no problem with getting one if you have the money to buy !

I managed to resist the urge to buy for all of 45 minutes after the shop opened.
( even after warning myself not to buy yet another camera. )

Neil

Ps.

The Leica WATE seems to work really well. At 16,18 and 21 mm there is NO color smearing in the corners.
Corners are sharp by f8. They are good at f5.6. A little soft at f4.
Amazing result considering its a 36 meg sensor.
Any cast or vigneting can be corrected by software.
Hope capture one supports this camera soon for LCC.

Pps.

The Leica 24 mm f2.8. Asph. Also seems to works well.
Corners are sharp by f8. They are usable at f5.6.
Again a good result considering its a 36 meg sensor.

I am too embarrassed to post the example shots as it's a picture of a building wall.

V

Vivek

Neil, Brick wall shots are more useful than the 100s of cat snaps appearing on Flickr. Post them.