The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

k-hawinkler

K-H

It's like after 3pm now. You got it?

For me try the 28-90 R or the WATE M first.
Thanks Lou. The battery is charging now! ;)
However, it will be dark when it's finished.
But, we think alike! :)

Something very interesting to read while we wait! :D Hot news! Panasonic and Fuji developed the first organic sensor! | 43 Rumors
Maybe it won't be that long until all of our M lenses can be used on a non-Leica camera! :clap:
I certainly have no plans to sell any of my lenses!

BTW, the battery grip also arrived. The FE 35/2.8 lens should arrive tomorrow.

algrove

Good news on the grip as I was thinking we would be lucky to get it this month. Great news. Does the grip actually feel as good as it looks like it should?

k-hawinkler

So, I have been playing around all evening with the A7R trying to discover its user interface.

I think it shares a few principles with the E-M1, e.g. example two menu systems.
One complete menu and the other with just some essentials.
Of course, the details, in particular the menus themselves are different.
Very nice though. I think the A7R and I will get along just fine.
But I miss IBIS as it eliminates the shaking while manually focusing handheld.
Next step for me will be to systematically work through the manuals with camera in hand and memorizing a few new things.

First I mounted the Carl Zeiss Sonnar E 1.8/24 ZA, an APS-C lens, to gain some experience with autofocus.
Then I used the Leica Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH 28-90/2.8-4.5 to get a feel for how magnification is invoked for manual only lenses.
That seems to feel more natural than for example the UI on the NEX-5N or NEX-7. Great!

I also used the camera with and without the battery grip.
The battery grip might come in handy when shooting handheld.
I don't think I will use it a lot on a tripod.
It doesn't seem to get in the way, but it also doesn't seem to add a lot, except a second battery.

The Novoflex NEX/LER adapter works well with the ASTAT-NEX tripod mount.
When using the camera handheld it's more ergonomic to take off the ASTAT-NEX tripod mount.

Tomorrow if the sun comes back out I will see what image quality the A7R manages to deliver with some of my lenses.
The fun finally begins! :D

:worthless:

vjbelle

I should have mine this afternoon from Adorama along with the 35mm lens. I purchased a Voightlander E mount from CameraQuest which got to me in two days. Seems very high quality - all I care about is that its flat, flat, flat. I have a full assortment of Leica M glass that I'm eager to try.

Victor

Annna T

Thanks Lou. The battery is charging now! ;)
However, it will be dark when it's finished.
But, we think alike! :)

Something very interesting to read while we wait! :D Hot news! Panasonic and Fuji developed the first organic sensor! | 43 Rumors
Maybe it won't be that long until all of our M lenses can be used on a non-Leica camera! :clap:
I certainly have no plans to sell any of my lenses!

BTW, the battery grip also arrived. The FE 35/2.8 lens should arrive tomorrow.
This is a little old news (dating back in June).
A more recent rumor, floated at 43rumors, is that Panasonic and Leica will launch a new system together. The previous rumor was that Leica would join the MFT consortium, but second the last rumors they will use a new mount not an MFT mount.

Combining the two news/rumor, the organic sensor in a new Leica/Panasonic system could result in something interesting.

algrove

I should have mine this afternoon from Adorama along with the 35mm lens. I purchased a Voightlander E mount from CameraQuest which got to me in two days. Seems very high quality - all I care about is that its flat, flat, flat. I have a full assortment of Leica M glass that I'm eager to try.

Victor
My Adorama order shows the label was printed on 3 Dec, but still UPS shows no activity under the tracking number. I do believe Adorama is exaggerating with this. If they can print a label and weigh the box, why can they not get it to UPS within 24 hours? We are now 48 hours plus!

k-hawinkler

WATE @ 16 mm

Sony A7R + Leica Tri-Elmar-M 1:4/16-18-21 ASPH

Hold cold was it? It was so cold I lasted 5 minutes then my fingers were totally numb! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:

algrove

K-H
Looks miserable out there right about now. Hey, what adapter do you use for M lenses, R lenses, etc.?

k-hawinkler

K-H
Looks miserable out there right about now. Hey, what adapter do you use for M lenses, R lenses, etc.?
Thanks Lou, please let me count the ways. :D

Novoflex NEX/LEM
Novoflex NEX/LEM + LEM/LER
Novoflex NEX/LEM + LEM/NIK-NT
Novoflex NEX/LER
Novoflex NEX/NIK
Novoflex NEX/MIN-MC-MD

Novoflex ASTAT-NEX

algrove

Got it and have been charging for nearly 4 hours so far. This is a worse wait than waiting for UPS to come with the camera!

I have the Metabones M-E and R-E adapters. Hope they will be OK.

Now to my dilemma, like most, what lens do I try first? I'll start with my cheaper lenses.

R 15/2.8 probably
then Contax G 28/2.8
then R 21-35
then WATE-looks good from K-H
then 21/3.4
then 21/1.4
then Contax G 21/2.8
then 24/1.4
then 40/2.0 C Summicron
then Contax G 45/2.0-looks good from fringe

My backpack is full.

Come to think of it, I will run out of daylight before I can get through using just 2 of those lenses. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Yeah!

algrove

One word-fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::clap::clap:

I have seldom enjoyed walking around with my R lenses more. The Contax G lens (although the Techart adapter leaves much to be desired for me) worked, but stutter hunting for focus was annoying from time to time and of course the FE35 which I am now happy I got to be able to experience this cameras AF first hand. I like it. The shutter is a bit loud, but it does not bother me and some candid shots no one even turned around even though I was 2 meters behind them.

Started with the R 15/2.8 and Metabones adapter. Corners look great on LCD. Played with the f stop in M mode to get what I wanted (I guess) since I have not read or digested the thin manual yet. All this done hand held. Wish I could select speed in M mode. Oops sorry, I have not read the manual yet.

G 28/2.8 adapter not confidence giving, but AF works OK.

R 75-210 on tripod with MB adapter and using the adapter QR on my big RRS ball head. Used 7x zoom feature for first time here, red outlines (same as on my M240. but seem to be much thicker and easier to see for my eye), then went to 14x and then I see why I might need it at 210mm, but worked like a charm as I could see my first focus was not pin point on. Great feature. Also want to mention the balance even with this longish lens was great for me and the smallness of the camera is to my liking. I did not miss my M while out with this camera. Frankly, with all the R lenses I have I would not need an M except for the 18,21,24 and possibly 35mm M lenses I own.

Have not figured out how to make the focus patch smaller, but that will come.

The EVF viewing was no big deal for me since I have been using the M240 EVF for thousands of shots and it just plain works for me. Sometimes I wonder if we all nit pick way too much instead of enjoying what photographic engineers have designed for us.

I am not into beta software so cannot look at these on my monitor I guess and have no idea where to get a plug-in that some have discussed as helping.

All in all IT'S A KEEPER.

Knorp

Glad you like the little camera, Lou.
As for processing the files: I'm using Sony's IDC, then converting the RAWs to 16-bits TIFFs and then into C1. Not ideal but for now it's fine.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Besides the Novoflex adapters I really have been enjoying my Phigment LM-NEX adapter.
Here are wide open WATE shots with the latter adapter on A7R.

A7R + Phigment Adapter + WATE @ 16 mm.

A7R + Phigment Adapter + WATE @ 18 mm.

A7R + Phigment Adapter + WATE @ 21 mm.

BASED ON THESE TESTS I AM WILLING TO GIVE MY WATE ON A7R A CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH FOR NOW! :thumbs: :)

Unfortunately the Phigment LM-NEX adapter seems to cause vignetting in the extreme corners with the Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4

whereas the Novoflex adapter doesn't seem to.

I hope this will be easy to correct.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1240887/3#11984354

Last edited:

Annna T

Got it and have been charging for nearly 4 hours so far. This is a worse wait than waiting for UPS to come with the camera!

I have the Metabones M-E and R-E adapters. Hope they will be OK.

Now to my dilemma, like most, what lens do I try first? I'll start with my cheaper lenses.

then Contax G 28/2.8
then Contax G 21/2.8
then Contax G 45/2.0-looks good from fringe

My backpack is full.

Come to think of it, I will run out of daylight before I can get through using just 2 of those lenses. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Yeah!
I would love to see your comments and pictures concerning the Contax G lenses, especially the 21mm (it is not reported to do very well alas, but I would still like to see the results). Are you using a A7r or a A7 ? The A7 would probably be more forgiving.