The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

algrove

I would love to see your comments and pictures concerning the Contax G lenses, especially the 21mm (it is not reported to do very well alas, but I would still like to see the results). Are you using a A7r or a A7 ? The A7 would probably be more forgiving.
I am using the a7R. Tried the 28 yesterday and LCD looked fine. Have not yet hauled out the 21, but will probably tomorrow. All my adapters are Metabones.

Today
M 21/1.4
M-WATE
M-MATE
R 80/1.4 maybe
R 180/3.4 maybe
APO50 maybe

Cannot find the way to turn off as many in camera functions as possible. I am now shooting RAW+JPEG so at least I can see the jpegs.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I received my A7R few days ago to use it with m-mount lenses exclusively. First quick snaps show that everything 50mm and longer should be fine on it (I used it with the ZM 50 Sonnar, lux 50 asph, Summarit 75, AA 90 Cron). However, the Summicron 35 asph and Elmarit 24 are not up to what I need. The 24 Elmarit @f8 and stopped down further is ok, but f2.8 and F4 are not satisfactory. The colors with the 35 Summicron are all over the place, I won`t bother with it on the A7r again. I`m interested in others experiences with 35mm RF lenses on the A7r. It seems the CV f1.2 35 does fine, but it is too bulky for my liking. I will try the Summilux 35 asph (not FLE) over the weekend, but do not expect too much after the Summicron 35 experience.
Wow, this is a real bummer and quite surprising to hear the 35mm 'Cron ASPH is a no go. I have been testing my 35mm 'Cron, an older pre-asph version, and find it positively STUNNING on my A7R. My 28 'Cron ASPH, I don't like nearly as well. My old 90mm Elmarit is also fantastic. So it seems that the pre-asph Leica M lenses I own look much better to me than my one ASPH does.

Let me get some stuff I shout yesterday worked up, and I can post some example photos.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Good news on the grip as I was thinking we would be lucky to get it this month. Great news. Does the grip actually feel as good as it looks like it should?
Yes the grip is great with larger lenses like most of them that were made for film cameras. Contax-Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Leica R, all are easier to hold and handle with the grip. Leica M lenses & most of the Voightlanders I do not feel the grip is necessary myself, but your own mileage may vary.

The grip does give the A7R a real "power camera" kind of look though, so I may just use it on mine all the time. :)

V

Vivek

I have been testing my 35mm 'Cron, an older pre-asph version, and find it positively STUNNING on my A7R. My 28 'Cron ASPH, I don't like nearly as well. QUOTE]

Instead of 35mm/2 asph, either 35/2.5 Summarit or 40/2 M Rokkor.

In place of 28/2 Summicron 28/2.8 M Rokkor.

Plenty of choices. No one shoots wide open all the time.

algrove

Yes the grip is great with larger lenses like most of them that were made for film cameras. Contax-Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Leica R, all are easier to hold and handle with the grip. Leica M lenses & most of the Voightlanders I do not feel the grip is necessary myself, but your own mileage may vary.

The grip does give the A7R a real "power camera" kind of look though, so I may just use it on mine all the time. :)
Chuck
Where did you end up getting the grip?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Samys Camera on Fairfax in Los Angeles had four grips as of Thursday. Not sure if any are still in stock or not, but they said more are on order.

k-hawinkler

100% Crop, then reduced from 1500 to 1200 Pixel along a side.

This was easy to focus, noticing the changing colors of CA. :eek:
Zebra also helped. :D

I shot this handheld from inside a car, engine running, open window, heating on full blast! :D

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I have been testing my 35mm 'Cron, an older pre-asph version, and find it positively STUNNING on my A7R. My 28 'Cron ASPH, I don't like nearly as well. QUOTE]

Instead of 35mm/2 asph, either 35/2.5 Summarit or 40/2 M Rokkor.

In place of 28/2 Summicron 28/2.8 M Rokkor.

Plenty of choices. No one shoots wide open all the time.
Wide open all the time? Well, not all the time but some of us do more than we don't ;)

I haven't tried those Rokkor lenses yet. Will try to hunt one up and do that, thanks for the suggestion Vivek. Looking at all the examples here, that WATE also is looking like a good investment to consider…. but man, what a cost!

V

Vivek

Chuck, I have a whole set of explanations behind why the M Rokkors work better but will have to do some measurements and such before expounding on it. You will be very pleased if you try them.

Yesh, i would like a trielmar as well. :)

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Chuck, I have a whole set of explanations behind why the M Rokkors work better but will have to do some measurements and such before expounding on it. You will be very pleased if you try them.

Yesh, i would like a trielmar as well. :)
I'll try and do that, and I do look forward to hearing your ideas when you feel you can share them!

k-hawinkler

It may be interesting to compare a really long lens on both D800E and A7R.
Why not the Leitz 560/6.8 (it's wrongly labeled 560/5.6) with Novoflex Slow Focusing Tube.
Here is one with Olympus OM-D E-M5.

Now with my additions to avoid oscillations and vibrations to make it useable and with Sony NEX-7.

The Novoflex Slow Focusing Tube is interesting as it requires a Novoflex Universal Bellows mount.
The following adapters attach to it, namely:

• NIKA Novoflex Nikon Adapter for 35mm Camera NIKA B&H Photo Video for attaching Nikon F cameras.
• LEA-R Novoflex Leica R to Leicaflex SL Adapter for 35mm LEA R B&H for attaching Leica R cameras.

This image was shot wide open with a Nikon D800E attached to the Novoflex NIKA.

No vignetting to speak of. :)

We might instead attach a Novoflex NEX/NIK adapter and the Sony A7R to the Novoflex NIKA. Shot wide open we get.

Surprise, heavy vignetting is the consequence. Not good. :eek:

Now let's instead attach a Novoflex NEX/LER adapter and the Sony A7R to the Novoflex LEA-R. Shot wide open we get.

Surprise, surprise, no vignetting. Very good! :)

ohnri

Samy's at Fairfax in Los Angeles has the Sony a7 (and possibly a7R) on sale for 'no tax' through tomorrow.

After fondling, er, assessing the ergonomics, I took one home. It feels like nothing so much as my Olympus EM5.

I also took a look at the grip. I can see why some would like it or be attracted to it but I took a pass. When I want a big camera I will use my D4.

IMO, Sony has got it going. I hope they keep pushing the envelope.

-Bill

k-hawinkler

Samy's at Fairfax in Los Angeles has the Sony a7 (and possibly a7R) on sale for 'no tax' through tomorrow.

After fondling, er, assessing the ergonomics, I took one home. It feels like nothing so much as my Olympus EM5.

I also took a look at the grip. I can see why some would like it or be attracted to it but I took a pass. When I want a big camera I will use my D4.

IMO, Sony has got it going. I hope they keep pushing the envelope.

-Bill

I agree.
Ergonomically to me it seems to be somewhere between my EM-5 and E-M1.
But the A7R has room for improvement to reach the stellar E-M1 level. :D

k-hawinkler

Sony A7R + Novoflex NEX/LER + Novoflex LEA-R + Leitz 560/6.8 (wrongly labeled 560/5.6) with Novoflex Slow Focusing Tube

k-hawinkler

Sony A7R + Novoflex NEX/LER + Novoflex LEA-R + Leitz 560/6.8 (wrongly labeled 560/5.6) with Novoflex Slow Focusing Tube

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Mmm, 1/200 sec for a 560mm lens: shaky business ... :rolleyes:

Kind regards.
Many thanks Bart. Well, let's see. This is a ten mile distance shot on tripod. Focus was on upper meadow.
One thing I have to change is to use remote triggering.

Here is an image at 25% http://winklers.smugmug.com/photos/i-23rKHWT/0/O/i-23rKHWT.jpg
Here is an image at 50% http://winklers.smugmug.com/photos/i-pmLCBps/0/O/i-pmLCBps.jpg
Here is an image at 100% http://winklers.smugmug.com/photos/i-drjVJ4P/0/O/i-drjVJ4P.jpg

I also could use a better lens, e;g. APO 280/4 with APO-Extender-R 2x.
What do you suggest I do differently? I always appreciate supportive advice. Thanks again.