The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

algrove

K-H
Your continued a7R/lens testing is most appreciated. The one shot of the tower with a non Leica and non Sony was impressive for me to see. I am trying to figure out why it was so sharp.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Lou, much appreciated.
Is this the shot you have in mind?
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/558035-post126.html post #126

This was shot with Olympus OM-D E-M1 + Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II Lens in AF.
The distance was less than 100 yards instead of almost a mile away.

The camera used, the E-M1, has incredibly capable IBIS, that is In-Body-Image-Stabilization.
As it has a micro four thirds sensor the lens has the FOV of a 135 film equivalent 600 mm lens.
And since the previous model, namely the E-M5, these Olympus cameras have finally state of the art sensors, provided there is plenty of light for fast movements.
For shooting static objects in low light I typically use base ISO and up to 1 second exposure time handheld. The E-M1's IBIS is that good!

Annna T

Thanks Anna for your feedback and questions. Here are my answers.

This is a 1024x1024 crop from the E-M1 image. I tried to match the colors with the A7R image.
This image is a little brighter than the one from the A7R as I wanted to get a little closer to the glare I see with my own eyes.

With regards to your last question, no I am not worried.

What makes the E-M5 and E-M1 so desirable is their IBIS IMHO.
And that also works with all my Leica M, R, V and Nikkor lenses.
Many thanks for the E-M1 100% crop and for all your detailed answers. It is always helpful to see how other people use their cameras and what motivated their decision.

Geoff Smith

Not sure if this is the right place to ask (but didn't want to start a new thread) -- is there any way to frame alternative aspect ratios through the EVF on the A7/A7r (thinking specifically about 4x5/8x10, coming from a background of shooting large format and 6x7)? One reason I never upgraded from 5D Mk. II to Mk. III is that one can no longer change the focussing screen and I have a Brightscreen with 4x5 crop marks in my Mk. II that is pretty critical to the way I shoot. Thanks -- really enjoying seeing what everyone is doing with these Sonys!

neelin

Not sure if this is the right place to ask (but didn't want to start a new thread) -- is there any way to frame alternative aspect ratios through the EVF on the A7/A7r (thinking specifically about 4x5/8x10, coming from a background of shooting large format and 6x7)? One reason I never upgraded from 5D Mk. II to Mk. III is that one can no longer change the focussing screen and I have a Brightscreen with 4x5 crop marks in my Mk. II that is pretty critical to the way I shoot. Thanks -- really enjoying seeing what everyone is doing with these Sonys!
You can put the 6w x 4h grid up on the screen/viewfinder when shooting. If you framed off center you could precisely frame 5x4 but off center then just shift over. Nothing else to do. In the menu it is: "Gearwheel>1>GridLine>square"

Robert

Geoff Smith

Thank you Robert! That just might be a solution, was thinking of renting one soon from lensrentals.com and will give it a try.

Best,
--Geoff

Knorp

This shot just for fun ... :D

Now the only blur I can see is coming from the dials moving ... :p

| leica vario-elmarit-r 1:2.8-4.5/28-90 asph |

k-hawinkler

Thanks Bart. Very funny!
A great building and a terrific shot.
I think that Sony A7R - Leica Vario-Elmarit-R combo works well together,
whether handheld or on a tripod with the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX, even on my light Gitzo Traveler.

BTW, did you get around to use your A7R on a bigger longer heavier R lens?
I am curious about your observations.
TIA.

I just ordered the Milich L-plate.
It should arrive well before I will receive my RRS one.
The latter are already out of stock.

Knorp

Thanks Bart. Very funny!
A great building and a terrific shot.
I think that Sony A7R - Leica Vario-Elmarit-R combo works well together,
whether handheld or on a tripod with the Novoflex ASTAT-NEX, even on my light Gitzo Traveler.

BTW, did you get around to use your A7R on a bigger longer heavier R lens?
I am curious about your observations.
TIA.

I just ordered the Milich L-plate.
It should arrive well before I will receive my RRS one.
The latter are already out of stock.
Yes, that R2890 is pretty good with the A7R.
A bit nose heavy perhaps, but it does a good job.

Well, using the R70180 and 2xT/C with the A7R proved to be too much of a challenge for my rig.
Up till now every time I went out it was just too windy to get a steady shot.
It's that fine vibration that spoils it and I wonder if the result could have been better when I had used it hand-held.
Worked fine with the E-M5 and E-M1, but then those have IBIS ...
For now I'm waiting for the courier to bring me a more stable solution and then I'll try again the long lens.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Yes, that R2890 is pretty good with the A7R.
A bit nose heavy perhaps, but it does a good job.

Well, using the R70180 and 2xT/C with the A7R proved to be too much of a challenge for my rig.
Up till now every time I went out it was just too windy to get a steady shot.
It's that fine vibration that spoils it and I wonder if the result could have been better when I had used it hand-held.
Worked fine with the E-M5 and E-M1, but then those have IBIS ...
For now I'm waiting for the courier to bring me a more stable solution and then I'll try again the long lens.

Kind regards.

Bart thanks.
If your shutter speed is high enough one also could try steadying the lens on a tripod with a hand during exposure.
That certainly helped in my case. That is one hand firm on camera, the other on top of lens above ball head.

Knorp

Bart thanks.
If your shutter speed is high enough one also could try steadying the lens on a tripod with a hand during exposure.
That certainly helped in my case. That is one hand firm on camera, the other on top of lens above ball head.
LOL not sure what would be worse - my hands are not that steady you know ...
Even when standing upright, I'm swaying like a (drunken) sailor.
Quite a challenge getting something in focus, let alone keeping it in focus.

But seriously, I'll give your suggestion a try next time, K-H.

Kind regards.

philip_pj

A lot of landscape pros use this 'hands on tripod and camera' technique with all sorts of cameras, such as very lightweight 4x5 rigs and medium format cameras. It helps both camera-induced blur and fights wind-induced blur, especially for intermediate shutter speeds around 1/15 to 1/60s. A good degree of downforce helps stabilise the tripod also, just by leaning on it firmly. It's much harder to jerk the camera body on shutter release when it is firmly attached to a well-anchored tripod.

Another solution is a tied off loop of 10mm shock cord (from outdoor/rock climbing shops) hooked onto the tripod's centre column hook or below the head. Most of us use the same tripod height for most shots more or less, so you can prepare one or more loops; then simply step into the loop with your shoe or boot for a constant and strong downforce for the whole setup. I use this with a light Gitzo CF pod, it works very well and the loops are ultra light and small to stash away. I figure on using the 'loop anchor' or 'lean on' technique plus 'hand holding upon release' most times with the a7r.

Hope this helps. cheers.

k-hawinkler

Philip,

Thank you so much. That's excellent advice.
I think at one time I read about this technique but then forgot about it! :eek:
Many thanks for the refresher short course! :)
Much appreciated. I will get that cord. ;)

tsjanik

Re: Shutter Shock at 784 mm in Portrait Mode!

K-H,

..................Not Good, in fact this example looks almost completely useless, because of the hinges:
http://www.sunwayfoto.com.cn/uploadfile/CKEditor/TLS-00.jpg

Much better:
Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support (MN359-1) - Wex Photographic.................................

I'm trying to resist any interest in the Sony; I suppose that I'm reading and responding to this thread is a bad sign ;).
I thought I'd mention that I've used the Sunwayfoto very effectively to stabilize a 600mm lens; I did modify it a bit and will add the Manfrotto (mounted on the portrait plate) if I need shutter speeds around 1/15s. Pretty much rock solid, but makes changing camera position much more complex. One more comment: I do keep my hands and body weight pressed against the camera, a technique I was forced to learn with the Pentax 67.

Tom

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Last edited:

Knorp

K-H,

..................Not Good, in fact this example looks almost completely useless, because of the hinges:
http://www.sunwayfoto.com.cn/uploadfile/CKEditor/TLS-00.jpg

Much better:
Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support (MN359-1) - Wex Photographic.................................

I'm trying to resist any interest in the Sony; I suppose that I'm reading and responding to this thread is a bad sign ;).
I thought I'd mention that I've used the Sunwayfoto very effectively to stabilize a 600mm lens; I did modify it a bit and will add the Manfrotto (mounted on the portrait plate) if I need shutter speeds around 1/15s. Pretty much rock solid, but makes changing camera position much more complex. One more comment: I do keep my hands and body weight pressed against the camera, a technique I was forced to learn with the Pentax 67.

Tom

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Very very übercool setup, Tom.
However, do you reckon that Sunwayfoto long lens support proves to be enough rigid to combat the A7R's shutter slap ?
It seems a bit awkward to me and even far from effective, but like to hear your opinion to ease my doubts.
I'll be using Sunwayfoto's DYH-66I levelling base soon for my tiny-in-comparison R70180 lens.

Thanks for the picture of your rig.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

Hi Tom,

I agree with Bart. Cool indeed. Many, many thanks for your feedback.
Did you ever feel it necessary to add the Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support to your setup? TIA.

tsjanik

Very very übercool setup, Tom.
However, do you reckon that Sunwayfoto long lens support proves to be enough rigid to combat the A7R's shutter slap ?
It seems a bit awkward to me and even far from effective, but like to hear your opinion to ease my doubts.
I'll be using Sunwayfoto's DYH-66I levelling base soon for my tiny-in-comparison R70180 lens.

Thanks for the picture of your rig.

Kind regards.
Bart, the Sunwayfoto appears flimsy because of all the joints/hinges, but each joint has a tightening knob, so when all is tightened, this assembly is quite rigid. As to the A7R, I don't know; the 645D has some shutter issues when using long lenses and the body is not attached directly to the head - hence this contraption I assembled. It's not always 100% effective, but much better than no additional support.

Hi Tom,

I agree with Bart. Cool indeed. Many, many thanks for your feedback.
Did you ever feel it necessary to add the Manfrotto 359 Long Lens Support to your setup? TIA.
K-H, Yes I do add the Manfrotto at speeds around 1/60 -1/2s. Although the pictured support is quite rigid it can still pivot around the single point of attachment - the ball head; the Manfrotto prevents that, but makes it more difficult to reposition the camera.

Here's a cropped shot using the 600mm at 1/13s; some blur from movement of the bird:

_IGP1495 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Another using the 600mm and a 1.4x; not much detail here but what there is, is quite sharp:

Mark Rothko appears in Lake Erie by tsjanik47, on Flickr

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Tom, those are terrific shots.
Stunning indeed!
Your lens is outstanding!