The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

k-hawinkler

That's a nice shot. Good light. Very sharp across the frame. How did you focus this? Did you use magnification on one or more areas? I'm assuming a tripod? Anyway, well done.

Regards,
John

Thanks John. The exif data should be still in the images.
This was indeed shot from a tripod, I believe at f/5.6 with AF-S in the center.
For a manual lens I would have used magnification with focus on the house in the middle.

k-hawinkler

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Oh no, there is a cloud over the Rio Grande! :eek: :D ;)

I like the color of the reflection in the river of the yellowish cloud.

Here, the colors are lost but image structures gained. I love lots of details and contrasty, really black and white areas in B&W images, very graphical in their appearance.

A7R + FE 35/2.8

algrove

I actually like the B&W the best, but that's just me. I will be out your way week after next for 14 days.

k-hawinkler

OOC JPG of Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2, reduced in size, but Adobe RGB (1998) instead of sRGB.
View attachment 85813

Same image but developed from .ARW with Geometric Correction and Auto Contrast.
View attachment 85812
As PS CS6 doesn't have a Geometric Correction for the Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2 I chose the one for the APO-R 280/4.

Questions:

Would it be better not to use that correction?
Also which image looks better to you?
The OOC JPG or the more contrasty one?

TIA.

PS: Please click on an image to get a larger view. Thanks.

Last edited:

Knorp

OOC JPG of Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2, reduced in size, but Adobe RGB (1998) instead of sRGB.
View attachment 85813

Same image but developed from .ARW with Geometric Correction and Auto Contrast.
View attachment 85812
As PS CS6 doesn't have a Geometric Correction for the Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2 I chose the one for the APO-R 280/4.

Questions:

Would it be better not to use that correction?
Also which image looks better to you?
The OOC JPG or the more contrasty one?

TIA.
I'm afraid these images are too small to make much of it.
Can't you provide larger versions, K-H ?

All the best.

k-hawinkler

I'm afraid these images are too small to make much of it.
Can't you provide larger versions, K-H ?

All the best.

Thanks Bart. Did you click on them?
Then you get larger images and you can flip back and forth between the two.
Please, let me know if that works for you.
Otherwise I will post larger images elsewhere and point to them.
Thanks again.

pegelli

If you click on the images you get a larger version, and by clicking "next" you get an immediate switch between the one and the other.

For me the second one has nicer colours and more "pop/punch". But a slight PP on the first can probably achieve the same effect. Nothing earth shattering.

Obviously it's hard to judge the geometric correction, but my feeling is that the first seems better than the second. It looks more natural, but I haven't been there and also the difference is so small that it is very hard (impossible for me) to say which one is closer to reality. If you just switch from one image to the other with a few second pause in between I am hard pressed to see a difference at all.

Probably not much help, but anyway I did take a look and this is what I saw.

V

Vivek

Thanks Bart. Did you click on them?
Then you get larger images and you can flip back and forth between the two.
Please, let me know if that works for you.
Otherwise I will post larger images elsewhere and point to them.
Thanks again.
The second one for me, K-H. This is based on viewing via a Quato proof monitor that is quite good with the darker shades. However, if viewed on ipad sort of thingies, it is the first.

iiiNelson

Wow I see this thread was revived... All the shutter shock talk in the past seems like such a distant memory for those that chose to stay with the A7R. One lesson learned since that time (or a workaround if you will) is to make sure the adapter isn't shoddy if you choose to adapt and to keep shutter speed up when able. This is a 100% crop from a manually focused photo I took handheld out the back of a jeep last summer with the Zeiss Contax/Yashica 180/2.8 Sonnar.

Not too bad in sharpness IMO for an older lens but I'm sure the newest nano-coated lenses could resolve much more.

Safari-3 by HiredArm, on Flickr

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So I guess given the title of this thread most of us kept our A7r figured out workarounds but given something is looming to be announced and if it makes real good buying sense than my A7r will be in the block. But that's not a negative as I have done some great work with it and it has served me extremely well. But for me camera bodies are disposable until something new and better comes along. But I have zero regrets and truth be told since I switched from Nikon this A7r has been the longest lasting Sony product I have.
That says something for sure.

iiiNelson

So I guess given the title of this thread most of us kept our A7r figured out workarounds but given something is looming to be announced and if it makes real good buying sense than my A7r will be in the block. But that's not a negative as I have done some great work with it and it has served me extremely well. But for me camera bodies are disposable until something new and better comes along. But I have zero regrets and truth be told since I switched from Nikon this A7r has been the longest lasting Sony product I have.
That says something for sure.
My A7R gets back next week. I had it converted to Full Spectrum by LifePixel because it's already in my mind that I will buy whatever high megapixel camera Sony releases next. The good thing is that if I don't like what they release (unlikely I assume) then I can still put a filter on my lenses and shoot as normal. If I do like what they're releasing then I will have a IR capable camera I won't get the urge to replace anytime soon as the A7R is just a great camera that "requires" a few workarounds to get all of the performance it's capable of.

biglouis

I didn't keep my A7 after purchasing my A7r and I was so impressed with both I just had to try get the A7s, as well.

I'm hoping the forthcoming 90/2.8 will be a good lens.

LouisB

jonoslack

Ho Hum
Well, I think this thread was a response to something I posted a year or so ago - I don't regret getting rid of my A7r (it didn't suit my hand holding technique). But my A7ii isn't going anywhere (and I rather regret the loss of my A7s) - A higher MP body with IBIS and an electronic shutter would be a no-brainer for me.

k-hawinkler

Ho Hum
Well, I think this thread was a response to something I posted a year or so ago - I don't regret getting rid of my A7r (it didn't suit my hand holding technique). But my A7ii isn't going anywhere (and I rather regret the loss of my A7s) - A higher MP body with IBIS and an electronic shutter would be a no-brainer for me.
Well, the title of this thread "A7r - and why I'm keeping it ..." still holds for me.
The A7R still has the same shutter shock issues but I simply avoid those situations.
As many here I am waiting for the A7R II with improved shutter, IBIS, and more resolution.
In any case, I will keep the A7R as a historic record of achievement.
Also, it makes sense for my situation to shoot with multiple cameras without much changing of lenses in the field.

k-hawinkler

My A7R gets back next week. I had it converted to Full Spectrum by LifePixel because it's already in my mind that I will buy whatever high megapixel camera Sony releases next. The good thing is that if I don't like what they release (unlikely I assume) then I can still put a filter on my lenses and shoot as normal. If I do like what they're releasing then I will have a IR capable camera I won't get the urge to replace anytime soon as the A7R is just a great camera that "requires" a few workarounds to get all of the performance it's capable of.
I don't know much about Full Spectrum by LifePixel or IR photography but I am willing to try it out and learn in the process. So, I am grateful for any advice and sharing of your experiences. TIA.

V

Vivek

I tend to keep the gear that I like whether it is a lens or a camera and would not sell it at all if it is useful.

There is no question that the A7r is a spectacular camera. No one has to listen to that statement, just move over to the fun with the thread and look at what Werner, Michiel, Barry and a whole bunch of talented people are showing, day in and day out.

The A7r stays. :)