The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

iiiNelson

I don't know much about Full Spectrum by LifePixel or IR photography but I am willing to try it out and learn in the process. So, I am grateful for any advice and sharing of your experiences. TIA.
It's my first romp at using a handheld FS camera myself so there will be lots of trial and error (read: learning) for me as well.

iiiNelson

UV/IR filters will allow you to shoot normal. 550-690nm will allow NIR and some visible light to pass. 720nm+ is more the traditional IR. 830nm+ is more the deep black & white IR. Pretty much everything below 400nm down to 220nm or so is UV(A-C.)

UV requires specialized lenses.

k-hawinkler

OOC JPG of Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2, reduced in size, but Adobe RGB (1998) instead of sRGB.
View attachment 85813

Same image but developed from .ARW with Geometric Correction and Auto Contrast.
View attachment 85812
As PS CS6 doesn't have a Geometric Correction for the Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2 I chose the one for the APO-R 280/4.

Questions:

Would it be better not to use that correction?
Also which image looks better to you?
The OOC JPG or the more contrasty one?

TIA.

PS: Please click on an image to get a larger view. Thanks.

Coming back to this shot with Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmar-R 105-280/4.2.

Processed in PS CS6, no Geometric Correction.

Silver Efex Pro 2, Neutral.

Silver Efex Pro 2, Neutral and Full Contrast and Structure.

Silver Efex Pro 2, Neutral and Full Contrast and Structure and Full Contrast and Structure again.

The smoke is from a prescribed burn that didn't get out of control! :cool:

V

Vivek

UV/IR filters will allow you to shoot normal. 550-690nm will allow NIR and some visible light to pass. 720nm+ is more the traditional IR. 830nm+ is more the deep black & white IR. Pretty much everything below 400nm down to 220nm or so is UV(A-C.)

UV requires specialized lenses.
To add to that, the "clear glass" (not sure what kind of material that is) on the A7r's sensor that would still be there would transmit all the available near UV (not necessarily down to 220nm).

K-H already may have a bunch of lenses that would do well for near UV. The APO Telyt 180/3.4 is an excellent lens for that, for example. :)

V

Vivek

BTW, the cheapest L plate from China (very well made, CNC, anodized aluminum, ebay) for the A7/A7r/A7s got cheaper and it is ~ US $10 shipped.

k-hawinkler

To add to that, the "clear glass" (not sure what kind of material that is) on the A7r's sensor that would still be there would transmit all the available near UV (not necessarily down to 220nm).

K-H, already may have a bunch of lenses that would do well for near UV. The APO Telyt 180/3.4 is an excellent lens for that, for example. :)
Many, many thanks Vivek.
I have indeed the APO Telyt 180/3.4.

Also how do you assess the following lenses?
APO 280/4, Vario 105-280/4.2, Vario 80-200/4, and Vario 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
TIA.

V

Vivek

K-H, Either you ship those lenses to me or me my dedicated UV camera based on an A7 to you to check it out. :D As you are well aware, you have the better surroundings to photograph. :)

Thanks. What's the name? TIA.
Type LB-A7 (lowest priced first) on ebay.com search.

Annna T

Thanks Vivek!

WOW! Between $12 and $13, including shipping from China, Thailand, or Philippines. Amazing!
Here is how they are ripping us off in some countries : the cheapest I can find is 24.95$. Aka the cheaper ones are not shown.

But then under the description of the object stands a line with the mention : "People who viewed this item also viewed ..." where the same item was shown, but only costing 12.8$ So I clicked on it hoping to buy one of the cheapest, but then I got the following message :

"Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay."

They are segmenting the market and some countries have to pay more than others for the exact same item.

Well still I can buy one if I want and the price isn't out of order compared to RRS models. But I wanted to buy a techart adapter for the Contax G lenses and there is noway to get one : I followed a link from Deotech website to Ebay, but there I only got that same blocked access. And there is noway for me to buy one of theses adapters.

V

Vivek

Here is how they are ripping us off in some countries : the cheapest I can find is 24.95$. Aka the cheaper ones are not shown.
Instead of posting these repeated, lengthy discourses, why not just log into ebay.com (and not ebay.XX) and buy it if you are serious about buying it? :confused:

Annna T

Instead of posting these repeated, lengthy discourses, why not just log into ebay.com (and not ebay.XX) and buy it if you are serious about buying it? :confused:
I was logged on ebay.com, not on any others ebay.xx

Even the dealer from whom I got the 2X more expensive L plate, blocks me from viewing about half of his assortment. For instance I looked for the same kind of plate for the E-M5 and I was blocked. About half the items on which I cliked in his Ebay store were blocked. If I make a search for LB and Olmpus, I can see that he has three offering for Olympus cameras, but all are blocked. However I can get to the Sony LB plates..

Here is a link which is blocked for me. I can't understand why it is blocked, what is the logic behind it. Can you telle me the list of the countries where the seller accept to ship this item :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Error?item=191476536104&errid=17 this is what I get when I click on the following link :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-L-Vertical-Quick-Release-Plate-Camera-Holder-Grip-OLYMPUS-LB-OMD-EM5-/191476536104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c94e41328

May be that depends upon which countries the seller has chosen for where he is willing to ship ? Depending on whether he includes Europe or the EU I may not be able to see the items ?

PLease can someone tell me whether Switzerland is excluded from the list of countries where this item sells ?

Annna T

On the link you provided, i was able to choose Switzerland and shipping was free.
Joe
Many thanks for your feedback. this is very helpful. So I can now see that the culprit isn't the seller, since he indicated that he was willing to ship to my country. I can't even get to see those blocked items. I land to an error page saying the access has been blocked. It is now occuring to about half of the product found on ebay.

I wonder whether the reason behind that may be that they are trying to block access to unauthorised copies of valued brand items, like for instance fake Rolex Swisswatches or Hermes stuff.

If that is the case then their filters are terribly damaging. But I could see the Swiss watches manufacturers pressuring Ebay for things like that. Then may be they put a seller on a black list when one of his items was caught at the custom.. but still it doesn't make much sense, since when looking a a seller's Ebay shop depending how I make my research I can get a listing of all the items he is selling, but then among those items, about half of them get a blocked access. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif

iiiNelson

Many thanks for your feedback. this is very helpful. So I can now see that the culprit isn't the seller, since he indicated that he was willing to ship to my country. I can't even get to see those blocked items. I land to an error page saying the access has been blocked. It is now occuring to about half of the product found on ebay.

I wonder whether the reason behind that may be that they are trying to block access to unauthorised copies of valued brand items, like for instance fake Rolex Swisswatches or Hermes stuff.

If that is the case then their filters are terribly damaging. But I could see the Swiss watches manufacturers pressuring Ebay for things like that. Then may be they put a seller on a black list when one of his items was caught at the custom.. but still it doesn't make much sense, since when looking a a seller's Ebay shop depending how I make my research I can get a listing of all the items he is selling, but then among those items, about half of them get a blocked access. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead.gif
Until recently I was mostly neutral on eBay but now I'm pretty anti-eBay. It's a decent marketplace for long standing businesses and maybe even small businesses but the'r fragmented selling policies are pretty antiquated. I've recently deleted all things eBay from all of my devices (except PayPal.)

V

Vivek

So I can now see that the culprit isn't the seller, since he indicated that he was willing to ship to my country.
The culprit isn't the company that hosts the sellers but it has everything to do with the local laws (as I mentioned earlier).

For example, items from a certain era from Germany are forbidden for sale on ebay.de but no such restriction on ebay.nl or ebay.com

Annna T

The culprit isn't the company that hosts the sellers but it has everything to do with the local laws (as I mentioned earlier).

For example, items from a certain era from Germany are forbidden for sale on ebay.de but no such restriction on ebay.nl or ebay.com
I bet that in Germany they are blocked not only on Ebay.de, but also if they visit Ebay.nl.
What irks me is that the filters don't make any sense. For instance concerning the L plate, I wasn't able to see and buy the cheapest alternative, but I was able to buy one costing twice as much. However the same dealer from whom I got the Sony L bracked was advertising for an E-M5 and E-M1 bracket on the very page where I got the A7r bracket, but when I wanted to check those plates for Olympus, I was blocked access too.

May be that Olympus was complaining about this ? who knows, but anyway, these filters don't make any sense.

BTW, this remembered me of the Contax G smart adapter and to day there were two dealers listing it... One at 249$ was blocked, but at least I could get one at 265$.

Annna T

Until recently I was mostly neutral on eBay but now I'm pretty anti-eBay. It's a decent marketplace for long standing businesses and maybe even small businesses but the'r fragmented selling policies are pretty antiquated. I've recently deleted all things eBay from all of my devices (except PayPal.)
Well those practices aren't so antiquated, they were introduced not so long ago, may be one year ago. But of late, they are becoming more invasive. Apparently, only big corporations are entitled to benefit from globalization, not the pedestrian consummers.

I buy important stuff from online dealers in my country too. But for small stuff, like remote controllers, hoods, L bracket, batteries, etc., I prefer Ebay. Where I live these small accessories are sold at prohibitive prices (like 5 times more than what I'd pay to Asian Ebay dealers).

Before ordering an item from Ebay in China, etc., I always ask me whether I'd be sorry to loose that item or not. If not I buy if yes, I don't.

The most expensive item I've bought online was the Panasonic 14mm Pancake lens. I got it for about 120$ while it would have costed me around 500$ here. Compared to the possible loss of 120$, the sparing was great enough to take the plunge and the loss won't have been prohibitively high. In the end all went well in that case.