The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

iiiNelson

Maybe I'm a weirdo but I've always admired and was fascinated by the Birds of Carrion (Vultures, Ravens, and the like.) They're sort of like "angels of death."

k-hawinkler

Mmm, they're certainly not the prettiest birds around ...

Kind regards.
Thanks Bart.
Certainly true, but these turkey vultures, also called buzzards, are magnificent aerial acrobats.
It's a lot of fun watching them to soar to tremendous heights.
They are also a federally protected species.

jonoslack

Thanks Bart.
Certainly true, but these turkey vultures, also called buzzards, are magnificent aerial acrobats.
It's a lot of fun watching them to soar to tremendous heights.
They are also a federally protected species.
Ah! Buzzards are something quite different over here - a standard bird of prey much given to sitting on telegraph poles and making rather wimpy squeaking noises.

Knorp

Ah! Buzzards are something quite different over here - a standard bird of prey much given to sitting on telegraph poles and making rather wimpy squeaking noises.
Hey - I've always thought of a BUZZard as a person or thing making a BUZZing noise (like my EM1's IBIS) , so there you go ... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:chug:

k-hawinkler

Thanks Jono. That's correct. In Europe Bussard is used for a different kind of bird.
But over here, especially in Texas, Bussard is used for the Turkey Vulture. :D

iiiNelson

Thanks Jono. That's correct. In Europe Bussard is used for a different kind of bird.
But over here, especially in Texas, Bussard is used for the Turkey Vulture. :D
Yeah and I believe the North and South American Vultures are completely different than the European and African sort.

k-hawinkler

Turkey vulture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
"The turkey vulture (Cathartes aura), also known in some North American regions as the turkey buzzard (or just buzzard), and in some areas of the Caribbean as the John crow or carrion crow,[2] is a vulture that is the most widespread of the New World vultures.[3] One of three species in the genus Cathartes of the family Cathartidae, the turkey vulture ranges from southern Canada to the southernmost tip of South America. It inhabits a variety of open and semi-open areas, including subtropical forests, shrublands, pastures, and deserts.[1]"

k-hawinkler

Evening Mood at Bandelier National Monument

E-M5 II + 42.5/1.2 Nocticron, shot by my daughter

Sony A7R + Leica 28-90/2.8-4.5 Vario

philip_pj

Vultures are revered in Tibetan Buddhism, most people who die of natural causes are recycled in sky burials. Their corpses' flesh is mashed up and mixed with grain and fed to Tibetan Griffon (Himalayan Vultures). Non-Tibetans are banned from viewing sky burials these days. I've seen 40-50 of them waiting for the dead to be brought out for their next feed.

These Griffon and the Lammergeier live near the very top of the range, and are probably the highest flying birds. I saw two Griffons from 5m a few years back - they are the size of a large goat, and weigh up to 25 pounds, not a sight you forget. The driver drove too close, so no photos, they took off like a pair of C-5s. Knorp's bird is indeed a beauty, the 'beards' look great.

algrove

K-H

Does the R 28-90 work on the a7r at all zoom FL? If so I did not realize there was a Leica lens that worked on the a7r with a 28mm FL.

Bravo.