The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

k-hawinkler

K-H

Does the R 28-90 work on the a7r at all zoom FL? If so I did not realize there was a Leica lens that worked on the a7r with a 28mm FL.

Bravo.

Hi Lou,

Thanks, yes it does. In fact most of the images in my two preceeding posts were taken at 28 mm. Of course the deer shot was at 90 mm.

iiiNelson

K-H

Does the R 28-90 work on the a7r at all zoom FL? If so I did not realize there was a Leica lens that worked on the a7r with a 28mm FL.

Bravo.
In general just about all SLR lenses that I can think of work very well as they were intended/designed. Some people are just adverse to the size and weight of some SLR lenses. I actually used Carl Zeiss Contax Yashica SLR lenses on my A7/A7R almost exclusively on the long end until the last six months when I sold everything except the CZ C/Y 100/2 Planar because it's just a keeper of a lens by most standards.

algrove

Hi Lou,

Thanks, yes it does. In fact most of the images in my two preceeding posts were taken at 28 mm. Of course the deer shot was at 90 mm.
Well, in that case I am pulling my 28-90 of the WS area and maybe the WATE too. Now I just need a Sony body. Might as well wait to see what is announced soon.

Maybe I could have a small 50MP to go with my large 50MP.

iiiNelson

That would make for a good combo. Even the A7II seems like it was optimized over the A7 from the shots I've seen. Looking forward to the A7RII/A9 or whatever comes next...

I've been on a 1:1 square ratio kick lately and I love the fact that I can still get up to 2/3 of the max resolution with cropping a large megapixel camera. A 50mp camera with a 3:2 ratio will still yield a ~33mp square shot. That's great for portraits or candids.

Godfrey

Actually, the best 28mm lens I've used on the Sony A7 is the Nikkor 28mm f/2 AI. Sharp edge to edge from wide open on. No smearing, no darkening, superb rendering—one of the very nicest 28mm lenses I've used.

A nice example of this lens is now part of my "permanent" Nikon collection.

G

k-hawinkler

Well, in that case I am pulling my 28-90 of the WS area and maybe the WATE too. Now I just need a Sony body. Might as well wait to see what is announced soon.

Maybe I could have a small 50MP to go with my large 50MP.

Hi Lou,

There is no way I would ever sell my WATE 16-18-21/4 or the Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
I already have quite bit of experience with the WATE on Leica M9 and Sony A7R and like a lot the results.
Also, I am slowly discovering the magic of the A7R and Vario-Elmarit-R combination.
Following are some images from today.

Hanging On

City on the Hill

Meditation Point

Pointing Up!

Don't you love the Land of Enchantment?

BTW, the character of these images reminds me a lot of what I get with my M9 and Rigid Summicron from 1956.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Typically May brings Blue Skies, White Clouds, and Snowy Mountain Tops!

And the view from that house at the White Rock Rio Grande Canyon Rim.

Sony A7R + Leica Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH.
I really like the way this lens draws - painterly IMHO!