The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r - and why I'm keeping it ...

algrove

K-H

From where did you order yours?

I bet B&H is the first to start shipping if the FE 35 is any indication.

k-hawinkler

K-H

From where did you order yours?

I bet B&H is the first to start shipping if the FE 35 is any indication.

Thanks Lou. I ordered directly from SonyUSA. Sony now says in my account:

"Preparing for Shipment
You can expect to receive your item(s) between 12/1/13 7:00 PM and 12/1/13 7:00 PM.
"
The grip I also ordered is listed as Backordered.

The status of the FE 35 lens, that I ordered later, is listed as Processing.

Where did you order yours?

algrove

I tried first with B&H and there was a shipping mixup with my account (for some strange reason) so I immediately went to Adorama the morning after the announcement. Could have been a mistake as B&H seems to be getting what Adorama is not getting. A7r and grip showing backordered on Adorama.

Well at least I'll have a FE35 lens to look at and wonder how it will performs-sent from B&H today.

k-hawinkler

I tried first with B&H and there was a shipping mixup with my account (for some strange reason) so I immediately went to Adorama the morning after the announcement. Could have been a mistake as B&H seems to be getting what Adorama is not getting. A7r and grip showing backordered on Adorama.

Well at least I'll have a FE35 lens to look at and wonder how it will performs-sent from B&H today.
Hi Lou,

You better hang on to that lens!
Do you have any NEX camera to play with that lens?

algrove

Nope, my first Sony lens and no cameras to mount it on. What the heck, another week or two and I should have an a7r..

ashwinrao1

Sadly, I am left in the lurch as well, as my local store only received A7's. I am struggling with which way to go, as it seems that the A7 may be better in a few ways (with RF's), less shutter vibration, 24 mp file sizes are more manageable for me) than the A7R, though I MUCH prefer an AA-less camera, as I am detail freak....

Well, I guess I have more time to figure things out while I watch from the sidelines. That being said, I have already tasted the A7R and was quite satisfied for my style of shooting...

k-hawinkler

Hi Ashwin,

Owning both M9 and D800E I am only considering the A7R.
I shoot mostly landscapes and wildlife, so I love 36 MP and no filter.
Your shooting style is really different, I understand.

Having also an E-M1 with 5-axis IBIS, I am also looking forward to the future when an A7/R like camera with IBIS will be available. I will shoot my A7R either on a tripod or handheld faster than 1/(3*FL).

BTW, on the E-M1 IBIS works so well that handheld I can shoot static objects with an exposure time approaching one second and get useable images that are pretty much in focus. Utterly amazing, I find.

Good luck with getting your camera!

J

JohnW

Sadly, I am left in the lurch as well, as my local store only received A7's. I am struggling with which way to go, as it seems that the A7 may be better in a few ways (with RF's), less shutter vibration, 24 mp file sizes are more manageable for me) than the A7R, though I MUCH prefer an AA-less camera, as I am detail freak....

Well, I guess I have more time to figure things out while I watch from the sidelines. That being said, I have already tasted the A7R and was quite satisfied for my style of shooting...
I'm still weighing the Sony option and think I'll rent one first. But knowing the way my mind works, I'm pretty sure if I got the A7 I would always be thinking, what if.... Plus, after using an M8, M9 and GR, I'm definitely hooked on no AA.

I don't think of it as more detail or sharpness, but rather a greater clarity or cleanness. In fact I'm pretty sure I won't buy another camera with an AA filter.

John

iiiNelson

I think you're in a great position since you did try out the A7r. Maybe try out the A7 at the local shop and see how it compares then decide which works best for you. I myself ordered an A7 last night... I'm getting a A7r as well too though. I think it may be the last body I buy for awhile (short of upgrading to a newer M or FE mount body.)

ashwinrao1

Hi Tre, just did that....and it's close. I went back and looked at my A7R shots....they are solid, but when zoomed in, there's a bit of motion blur. The A7R really requires steady, steady hands. I suspect that the A7 would be plenty camera for me, and yet, there's a whisper, as JohnW states, to want to upgrade. Unlike you, I am only going to snag one of these 2 bodies...The good thing is...both are great, when used within their tolerances...I have a slight lean at the moment towards the A7, as I think it's sensor may be more forgiving...and yet lol....

algrove

From what I can tell from most everything I have read, your a7 for candid and street seems the best alternative. The a7r I will get and if I keep it, I will probably use it mostly on tripod for landscape with R lenses.

Taylor Sherman

Ultimately I went with A7 (should arrive Monday) for most of the same reasons Ashwin has mentioned (I like RF glass, don't need 36Mp, etc).

Also like you Ashwin I really can live without an AA filter, but until Sony (or someone else) gives us a FF ILC that really has no AA filter, to me it's certainly not worth paying so much extra just for that.

iiiNelson

Hi Tre, just did that....and it's close. I went back and looked at my A7R shots....they are solid, but when zoomed in, there's a bit of motion blur. The A7R really requires steady, steady hands. I suspect that the A7 would be plenty camera for me, and yet, there's a whisper, as JohnW states, to want to upgrade. Unlike you, I am only going to snag one of these 2 bodies...The good thing is...both are great, when used within their tolerances...I have a slight lean at the moment towards the A7, as I think it's sensor may be more forgiving...and yet lol....
Yeah I hear you. I wasn't going to get both but I'm about 99% sure my M9-P finally developed a sensor crack, I'm selling some old gear I rarely use to finance the extra body, and I really don't like to be without 2 bodies when I shoot primes. I think the A7 is plenty and the A7r is more for that extra wow for larger/ more detailed prints.

k-hawinkler

There is now also a status change on the FE 35/2.8 I ordered to: Sent to the Warehouse
I had ordered the lens on November 19.

Last edited: