The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pimp your A7/r

Knorp

I got some rubber buttons to act as 'soft releases'. This ebay item. They fit exactly and perfectly on both the shutter release and the big button on the back. The 'stick' seems very 'sticky' not the usual cheap double sided tape but I'll have to update after use. They certainly don't shift or feel like they are moving about. The fit really is utterly perfect.

On the shutter release it is a very big help. Only about 2mm but I can 'find' it so much easier. It also gives a far more positive travel when pressing. It's just a feeling but I think it's cutting about a third of the 'lag' I was feeling by cutting down the human element significantly. On the rear button it is a big help. First of all I can find it much more easily with the camera to my face and as I have zoom mapped to it that is a very big difference. It also means that I'm touching and turning the wheel far less by accident.

Overall a very cheap and very useful addition. The lag however is still a real problem. I do hope they can do something with firmware. Can't be bothered trading down to an A7.
I'd like a rubber button for C1 ...

Really, I don't get that lag issue, agreed there is quite a bit of shutter release travel required but I've not experienced any lag otherwise.
Must be my age I suppose: old and slow ...

Kind regards.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Yeah C1 is hard to find with your eye to the viewfinder.

The measured lag for the A7r is 162ms (Imaging Resource). To put that into perspective the Nex 5 is 110ms, a 5D3 is 60ms and a D800 is about 45ms. I'm finding it a real problem for people work. I've got a feeling that Guy did the most sensible thing actually. Buy an A7r and an A7. The A7 can handle the faster work. I don't quite have that cash though. :D

GrahamB

Average human reaction time is 215ms.(Human Benchmark - Reaction Time Test)

I did a quick experiment. I removed my wristwatch, placed it on a table, and attempted to photograph the second hand at the "12" position with my a7r. Out of 10 attempts, I was successful 10 times.

Was I anticipating the hand movement, actuating the shutter a bit before the hand reached 12? Obviously. It's the same way I would photograph anything with movement.

Graham

Ben Rubinstein

215+160 = bit over a third of a second. Shouldn't be too hard to get the second hand in place, you've got a second. When shooting people who are moving though it makes a big difference. It's a matter of them moving away from the scene you saw through the viewfinder but before the picture is taken. If it's a walking person then you can anticipate, if it's facial expressions, forget it, they change too fast. Try it with someone who is talking to you. Half the time you're freezing the wrong facial expression. You can't anticipate that.

GrahamB

Try it with someone who is talking to you. Half the time you're freezing the wrong facial expression. You can't anticipate that.
I'm not attempting to make this an argument. If the lag is a problem for you, it's a problem.

I shoot mostly static images. With portraits the individual is posed, and isn't speaking. If a candid, I wait for a time when the person isn't speaking, and their mouth is closed. If I want to shoot a person speaking, I change to video.

When I need a camera with a high FPS and good autofocus, I switch to a DSLR. I'm not one who plans on going a7(r) body only. They're great bodies for almost everything I do, but it's nice to have other tools in the cabinet for occasions that call for them.

Graham

mwalker

Subscriber Member
What about a flash? Will the old A900 flash work? And also the pocket wizard II?
And Im waiting for the RRS L bracket but I'm going to need something soon, any others out there now?

fotografz

215+160 = bit over a third of a second. Shouldn't be too hard to get the second hand in place, you've got a second. When shooting people who are moving though it makes a big difference. It's a matter of them moving away from the scene you saw through the viewfinder but before the picture is taken. If it's a walking person then you can anticipate, if it's facial expressions, forget it, they change too fast. Try it with someone who is talking to you. Half the time you're freezing the wrong facial expression. You can't anticipate that.
For some reason I haven't noticed any lag issue when shooting people Ben ... but I will pay closer attention as I press this camera into event work the next few days.

I wonder if it is the way I tend to shoot ... I use the rear button to AF and then shoot. It seems instant ... but I may be way off base here ... so we'll see. Gotta run.

- Marc

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'd like a rubber button

...snip.....
I have a rubber button on C1. I fashioned a tiny ball out of Sugru. I put it on C1 and pressed it into shape, making sure that it did not go down into the recess around the button. I let it dry for several hours without touching it.
The Sugru on the magnify button of my A99 has been there for over a year. When I sold my Nex7, I removed the Sugru from that one without a trace of damage.

pozzello

I got the $24 Sony RMT-DSLR2 Remote, it has separate shutter and 2 second shutter buttons, and you can use bulb mode by clicking once to trip the shutter twice to close it.

I also ordered the RRS L-bracket and a Metabones specific L-Bracket + extender from Hejnar Photo

Vulture

I got the $24 Sony RMT-DSLR2 Remote, it has separate shutter and 2 second shutter buttons, and you can use bulb mode by clicking once to trip the shutter twice to close it.

I also ordered a RMT-DSLR2 remote and was wondering if there is difficulty in using it in sunlight? Also has anyone tried the NFC control of the A7/r? The wifi function works great but of course won't work in the field.

Knorp

I also ordered a RMT-DSLR2 remote and was wondering if there is difficulty in using it in sunlight? Also has anyone tried the NFC control of the A7/r? The wifi function works great but of course won't work in the field.
Mmm, I don't think you actually need a Wifi network (AP): your camera and smart device will contact directly to each other. But I have to try this w/o AP yet.

Kind regards.

Knorp

I have a rubber button on C1. I fashioned a tiny ball out of Sugru. I put it on C1 and pressed it into shape, making sure that it did not go down into the recess around the button. I let it dry for several hours without touching it.
The Sugru on the magnify button of my A99 has been there for over a year. When I sold my Nex7, I removed the Sugru from that one without a trace of damage.
Thanks Cindy, while I'd read your recommendation already in another post, I'd like the lazy solution for dummies ... :eek:

Kind reagrds.

MontyMo

LOL
I love the gem-a-licious rule of thirds.
Great review. That A7 is really calling me :)

Ben, based on your title:

Watch at 15.24: Sony A7 vs. A7R Hands-on Review - YouTube
Sony A7 vs. A7R Hands-on Review - YouTube

:ROTFL:

Seriously, look up the posts by "hot" here. The NEX batteries are the ones used by the A7/7R and these batteries (knock offs)/shipped cost less than driving your car to shop to pick up groceries.

Charger- ditto (search ebay).

Remote: ditto (<$3).

Ben Rubinstein

For some reason I haven't noticed any lag issue when shooting people Ben ... but I will pay closer attention as I press this camera into event work the next few days.

I wonder if it is the way I tend to shoot ... I use the rear button to AF and then shoot. It seems instant ... but I may be way off base here ... so we'll see. Gotta run.

- Marc
Not sure Marc. I'm shooting with manual lenses and a shutter half pressed.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks Cindy, while I'd read your recommendation already in another post, I'd like the lazy solution for dummies ... :eek:

Kind reagrds.
LOL, Before I tried Sugru, I tried some stick-on buttons. They just don't stay in place over the long run. Also, I think you might get goo down into the crevice around the button. I don't think that is a good idea.

You can order Sugru online, and all you need to do is roll it into a tiny ball and press it on. Once it dries, it will serve you well.:lecture:

scho

LOL, Before I tried Sugru, I tried some stick-on buttons. They just don't stay in place over the long run. Also, I think you might get goo down into the crevice around the button. I don't think that is a good idea.

You can order Sugru online, and all you need to do is roll it into a tiny ball and press it on. Once it dries, it will serve you well.:lecture:
Thanks for the Sugru tip Cindy. Works nicely.