The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

VDSLR vs "Pro" lenses

V

Vivek

Just a heads up on the Samyang/Rokinon/Wallimex etc branded lenses. I have been watching the auction site to buy some.

The new current prices of the VDSLR lenses with focus grip is higher (because of the higher construction costs) than the "Pro" branded versions which offer conventional focus grips. While the "pro" version apertures are marked in f numbers, the VDSLR lenses have T numbers.

On the auction site (.de specifically), the VDSLR lenses go for much less than the "Pro" versions. It looks like the higher T numbers put people off.

I grabbed a 14mm T3.1 VDSLR lens recently (great price). Size wise, it isn't going to be a lot bigger than my Canon 50/0.95 lens in M mount. Any Distagon (old, new or even upcoming- any mount) ~15mm FL is by no means a small lens!

The 14 f/2.8 (or the 14 T3.1) lens is already shown to be a great performer on the A7R.

V

Vivek

Soon. :)

I already requested a friend who has tested the combo as well.

Just look at the D800/E + 14/2.8 shots- there are plenty on the web.

V

Vivek

You took pictures of Jan playing with the A7R and you did not check it out right there? :loco:

Knorp

Aha! But you have to know I was only interested in the FE lenses and, obviously, my own R-lenses :D
Next time I'll pay more attention, Vivek ;)

Kind regards.

scho

Soon. :)

I already requested a friend who has tested the combo as well.

Just look at the D800/E + 14/2.8 shots- there are plenty on the web.
I had the Rokinon version of this lens with the D800e, but sold it along with the rest of my Nikon gear. Performed well on the D800e. Sample image below.

V

Vivek

My Walimex VDSLR 14mm arrived and it is every bit as Carl says. Only with an A7R (and even with such an ultrawide lens), it is possible to focus precisely. Just an amazing piece of optics and the performance is just wonderful.

Still can not believe the cost!

If sell my OUFRO, I can cover the costs of the lens plus buy a real adapter from Novoflex themselves- with the extra tripod collar! :clap:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have the Pro in Sony mount for my A99. There are profiles out on the net for correcting the distortion in LR. It is a real bargain of a lens.

V

Vivek

Ha, it got you too, Michiel! This is the whole point of this thread.

(please check the first post)

It is exactly the same speed only constructed a bit better.

I'll post some pics in the next days in the fun thread.

Michiel Schierbeek

Looked it up in Wikipedia... The formulas made me dizzy.
The better it is because the T lens also looks better and probably handles better as well.

Congrats with the purchase!

iiiNelson

Well Amazon has a gold box deal on the Rokinon Cine 14/T3.1 (14/2.8) lens right now for $350. I just got one so there should be 12 left at most.

Ron Pfister

An interesting lens, Vivek. Thanks for the heads up!

Regarding which mount to choose: I've decided a while back that all my FF manual focus lens purchases must be in Nikon F-mount, and must have manual aperture control rings. This way, the lenses can be either directly used with or adapted to any camera brand I am currently interested in (Sony, Nikon, Canon, perhaps at some point Fuji and Sigma) with a minimal number of adapters.