The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tips for the A7

cunim

The A7 manual is bad, monumentally bad. Sony's info link for "more detail" has nothing in it as yet. So, I sit here staring at the thing and wondering. Perhaps others have devised clever ways of making this camera more usable, with button assignments, C1 and C2 configurations, etc. Here are my particular questions seeking usage tips.

I have a manual flash in the hot shoe. Works OK. Trouble is I can't figure out how to set the flash options or focus the lens. We have fill, slow, rear and wireless flash. I sort of understand fill, but how do slow and rear relate to function?

Next point; focus. In AF mode the camera lights the flash to guide the focus drive. Guess that would drain the batteries pretty quick. Better to go manual focus and I use manual lenses most of the time anyway. But wait! When I set my shutter speed to 160 my displays go black. Where is the setting that selects a flash sync mode and lets the EVF maintain reasonable brightness independent of shutter speed?

V

Vivek

Hi, I found this Sony A7/A7R PDF manual posted on another forum, it may be useful to you.

Justin
I will reiterate that. It is in the manual and is exactly the same the way it functions in a NEX.

Regarding:

I have a manual flash in the hot shoe. Works OK. Trouble is I can't figure out how to set the flash options or focus the lens. We have fill, slow, rear and wireless flash. I sort of understand fill, but how do slow and rear relate to function?
They have nothing to do with this or any particular camera. Look at Marc's posts. He posts at least once a month on "dragging" the shutter. Rear flash sync is at least 40 years old if not older.

D

Deleted member 7792

They had flash back then?
Yeah, I think they did it by striking two rocks together. More like low intensity sparks. But Guy got good images in those caves. :ROTFL:

Joe

Guy how do you clean the flash residue?

Cunim, I'm not sure if the a7 can control non sony flashes like that. Fotografz has a lot of sony flash knowledge, hopefully he chimes in.

cunim

Aaargh. My inexperience is showing. I am comfortable with fully auto or fully manual flashes, but I have never used a DSLR with a 3rd party manual flash. In fact, I still reflexively reach for my lighter to trigger the flash and slow/rear is my *** before my second coffee. Crotchety as I am, I expect a manual to give me precise definitions.

Vivek, you know that the NEX flash automatically keeps the EVF bright for focusing when the flash is popped up. The A7r doesn't do that when I put my flash in the shoe. Wish it did. Got a page number in the manual?

I want a setting that tells the EVF to just make a nice bright image, independent of where the shutter timing is set. From the suggestions here, I may need to use a supported Sony flash to get that function. However, no reason it could not be made user selectable with a firmware update. Maybe if I send a begagram to Sony Support?

V

Vivek

Peter, It is the same in a NEX (except while using the pop up or Sony's own TTL flashes)!

Go to the toothed wheel (Custom settings) -> page 2

Live View Display -> Setting Effect ON Turn that to OFF while using a flash (only for that!).

cunim

Peter, It is the same in a NEX (except while using the pop up or Sony's own TTL flashes)!

Go to the toothed wheel (Custom settings) -> page 2

Live View Display -> Setting Effect ON Turn that to OFF while using a flash (only for that!).
Vivek, that works. Thanks very much.