The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wides for A7R

lambert

Last edited:

lambert

Thanks for the photos! Think the Ultron 21/1.8 would do similarly on the A7?
Based on what others have posted, I expect it will perform much the same in terms of sharpness across the frame, but there may be less colour shift in the outer zones.

lambert

A7R + Voigtlander 21/1.8

Thanks Carl!

Lambert; great set of photo's to see the capabilitys of that lens. It really looks good and the perfect lens for a lot of what I do. Better investment for me then a 14mm (to wide).

I shot with it once on my GXR at the Photokina when it was released and was impressed as well. Especially the fact it had almost no distortion.

Thank you for the effort!
Michiel, here's another building facade with some intricate detail. This image was cropped/corrected for distortion prior to export (same parameters - f8, raw, LR5)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49116332/A7R-CV21-ultron-7.jpg

Michiel Schierbeek

scho

Here is a shot with my CV21mm f/1.8 Ultron, mounted to A7R with Metabones M-E adapter, f/6.3 autoISO, before/after correction with LR flat field plugin using the whitecard ahot above. Note color shift/vignetting assymetry in my lens/adapter and in the LL image the off color halos that were pointed out earlier.

These are LR screen grabs. Flatfield image left, original right.

Full image

Center 100%

Lower Left Corner

lambert

Re: A7R + Voigtlander 21/1.8

Increadable detail, just like a Sigma DPm2. Lovely facade and old and new combination!

Did you use vertical adjustment as well or did you have a higher viewpoint?

Thank you!
The camera had to be tilted back for that scene. I simply applied LR5's perspective distortion correction function in auto mode.

I owned both the DP1M and DP2M. If you down-res the A7R files to 14mp, it easily rivals the Sigma's for detail.

scho

The camera had to be tilted back for that scene. I simply applied LR5's perspective distortion correction function in auto mode.

I owned both the DP1M and DP2M. If you down-res the A7R files to 14mp, it easily rivals the Sigma's for detail.
When you used distortion correction in auto mode did you have a default custom lens profile specified for the CV Ultron?

lambert

When you used distortion correction in auto mode did you have a default custom lens profile specified for the CV Ultron?
No. I only applied correction to fix perspective distortion (buildings were leaning back). The Voigtlander 21/1.8 has no visible distortion.

lambert

Here is a shot with my CV21mm f/1.8 Ultron, mounted to A7R with Metabones M-E adapter, f/6.3 autoISO, before/after correction with LR flat field plugin using the whitecard ahot above. Note color shift/vignetting assymetry in my lens/adapter and in the LL image the off color halos that were pointed out earlier.

These are LR screen grabs. Flatfield image left, original right.

Lower Left Corner
The color halos in your last image may be a LR issue. Try setting defringe to 0.

scho

The color halos in your last image may be a LR issue. Try setting defringe to 0.
Yes, that does work, but the flat field correction also took care of the halo problem in addition to fixing the corner color shift/vignetting.

V

Vivek

These are quick snaps, resized from the original.

M Rokkor 28/2.8 on A7R

f/2.8

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

f/8

f/16 (dirt on the sensor is visible now- an indication of going into diffraction territory, interestingly, it isn't visible at f/8)

The fast moving clouds had a bit of color that are seen in the frames. Corners (bricks)are very clear and sharp by f/5.6.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Vivek. So stopping down a little and a flat field correction should make this lens useable in your opinion?

Godfrey

The Summicron-C 40/2 and M-Rokkor 40/2 gen 1 were identical design other than the lens bezel and filter mount, with the Summicron built in Wetzlar and the M-Rokkor built in Japan. The M-Rokkor 40/2 gen 2 added multicoating and seems a slightly smaller, lighter lens assembly, also built in Japan. Having had all three, I kept the generation 2 M-Rokkor 40mm f/2 as I found it produced the nicest results (by a hairsbreadth) and the least flare, and the 40.5 mm filter mount matches the M-Rokkor 90mm f/4.

(The latter lens {at least the first production runs until the CL was discontinued and Minolta released the CLE} were actually identical to the Elmar-C 90mm f/4 and produced on the same production line in Wetzlar, differing only in the bezel markings and filter mount. You know if you have the Leica manufactured one as it will say "Made in Germany" on the bottom of the lens barrel by the serial number. )

They comprise my primary lens kit for the CL; both work very nicely on the M9 as well. No surprise that they would work well on the A7r too.

G

V

Vivek

Thanks Vivek. So stopping down a little and a flat field correction should make this lens useable in your opinion?
K-H, I am sorry. I was about to pull these snaps out but decided to leave them in. These were with the Hawk Peng adapter (either gen. 1 or 2). I will try (blue skies permitting) similar snaps to morrow with a cheap adapter that has a bigger opening than the Hawk adapter. My feeling is that one does not need FF plugin and such when a proper adapter is used.

k-hawinkler

K-H, I am sorry. I was about to pull these snaps out but decided to leave them in. These were with the Hawk Peng adapter (either gen. 1 or 2). I will try (blue skies permitting) similar snaps to morrow with a cheap adapter that has a bigger opening than the Hawk adapter. My feeling is that one does not need FF plugin and such when a proper adapter is used.
Thanks Vivek. I think you are right.

douglaspboyd

I just ordered a mint CL version of this lens (by mistake). Everybody seems to be buying the CLE-version, and paying more for it. Have you people tried the CL version? Optically, there shouldn't be much difference besides multi-coating if I understand things correctly.

Is your sample, scho, from the CL or CLE?
Summicron-C 40mm works great on my A7r. Here's a quick shot at f2.2, focussed on the infinity stop of a cheap $10 Hong Kong adapter.

==Doug