The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wides for A7R

scho

I did some whiteboard shots with some of my available wide lenses on the A7R. As expected the 28 biogon did poorly in terms of corner vignetting, smearing, and color shift. I didn't even bother with the 21 biogon which I know is the worst in corner performance. Best 28 was the CV f/1.9 Ultron followed closely by the Contax distagon f/2.8 and Canon FD f/2 (not shown here). The 24mm Canon FD f/2 is also a good performer on the A7R.

All at f/5.6:
21mm f/1.8 Ultron

24mm Canon FD f/2

28mm f/1.9 Ultron

28mm f/2.8 Contax G Biogon

35mm f/2 Contax G Planar

35mm f/2.8 Sony FE Sonnar

40mm f/2 Minolta Rokkor-M

Edit: Just received the Rokinon 14mm (E mount) and added another white card shot and quick test snap. Very little CA, vignetting, and color shift. Distortion for sure, but I need to find the profile I used before for this lens with the D800e.

Rokinon T3.1 14mm

Sample (f/8)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Thank you, Carl! :)

I will shoot some skies with the M Rokkor 28/2.8 and post it here. It is fabulous for me on the A7R.

scho

Thank you, Carl! :)

I will shoot some skies with the M Rokkor 28/2.8 and post it here. It is fabulous for me on the A7R.
Yes, please do. This lens is a little jewel. Perfect for the A7R. I haven't been out shooting much lately because of the bad weather, but I"ll also take some more shots with the M-Rokkor this weekend.

frozenbb

What's everyone's preference on M Rokkor 40mm vs L Summicron-C 40mm?
Unless you want the "status" which comes from having Leica (in which case the summicron-c isn't considered a real Leica anyway), go with the M-Rokkor 40. The optics and ergonomics are identical--assuming you get the older version of the Rokkor--and the Rokkor takes much friendlier 40.5mm, standard pitch, filters.

eightfold

Unless you want the "status" which comes from having Leica (in which case the summicron-c isn't considered a real Leica anyway), go with the M-Rokkor 40. The optics and ergonomics are identical--assuming you get the older version of the Rokkor--and the Rokkor takes much friendlier 40.5mm, standard pitch, filters.
I just ordered a mint CL version of this lens (by mistake). Everybody seems to be buying the CLE-version, and paying more for it. Have you people tried the CL version? Optically, there shouldn't be much difference besides multi-coating if I understand things correctly.

Is your sample, scho, from the CL or CLE?

frozenbb

I just ordered a mint CL version of this lens (by mistake). Everybody seems to be buying the CLE-version, and paying more for it. Have you people tried the CL version? Optically, there shouldn't be much difference besides multi-coating if I understand things correctly.

Is your sample, scho, from the CL or CLE?
The CL version is fine. It's single coated but otherwise optically the same as the CLE version. These m-rokkor 40s are a great match for the a7/a7r when traveling light.

V

Vivek

I am assuming mine are CLE based on Steve Gandy's tip on where the serial numbers are located (Leica Minolta  CLE).

Yes, all 3 lenses have the useful 40.5mm filter threads and are simply superb on the A7R.

It is difficult for me to decide which one (28 or the 40) should be mounted on the cam and the other in my jacket pocket.

scho

I am assuming mine are CLE based on Steve Gandy's tip on where the serial numbers are located (Leica Minolta* CLE).

Yes, all 3 lenses have the useful 40.5mm filter threads and are simply superb on the A7R.

It is difficult for me to decide which one (28 or the 40) should be mounted on the cam and the other in my jacket pocket.
I think that my copy is also CLE based on the serial number location on the lens barrel. There are currently 3 of these for sale on KEH and another 3 of the summicron versions.

algrove

For many here it would be very much appreciated if posters would mention the camera a7 or a7r (it seems some lenses are better for one model over the other), adapter used, if any,(they perform differently) and specifics about the shot like f stop, etc. Thanks.

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks for this. It looks quiet acceptable.
The second picture shows better the colourcast along the, mostly vertical, sides. Must be correctable in PP.

This was the first RF wideangle which came to my mind for the A7r.

What do you think so far? I would like to see a picture from a facade @ about 8 meters or so.
Only if you feel like it, of course.

scho

The second picture shows better the colourcast along the, mostly vertical, sides. Must be correctable in PP.

What do you think so far? I would like to see a picture from a facade @ about 8 meters or so.
The color shift is an easy fix in LR using the flat field plugin and a white target shot like the one I posted above. This is my favorite wide angle lens on the M9 and it is looking quite good now on the A7R as well.

lambert

A7R + Voigtlander 21/1.8

I'm pretty impressed, so far. This lens has negligible distortion and is already quite sharp across the frame from around f4. There's a little colour shift, but unlike distortion and smearing, this is easily corrected. The size and weight feels about right to me at just over 800g for the combo.

Here's a facade from around 8m (same parameters as before):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49116332/A7R-CV21-ultron-5.jpg

I took this shot to assess sharpness/detail when focussed at infinity:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49116332/A7R-CV21-ultron-4.jpg

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Thanks Carl!

Lambert; great set of photo's to see the capabilitys of that lens. It really looks good and the perfect lens for a lot of what I do. Better investment for me then a 14mm (to wide).

I shot with it once on my GXR at the Photokina when it was released and was impressed as well. Especially the fact it had almost no distortion.

Thank you for the effort!

Ron Pfister

Re: A7R + Voigtlander 21/1.8

I'm pretty impressed, so far. This lens has negligible distortion and is already quite sharp across the frame from around f4.
…snip...
I took this shot to assess sharpness/detail when focussed at infinity:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49116332/A7R-CV21-ultron-4.jpg
Many thanks for posting the Ultron samples! I noticed blue, purple and grey haloes around the foliage and the branches in the top right corner of the last image. Are these JPEG compression artifacts, or do you see this in RAW, too?