The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r & A7 - Anyone planning to use both?

ddanois

With all of the new experiences out there, I'm really wondering if there is a place for both of these cameras in the bag?

Thanks,
Derek

Ron Pfister

I can only think of a few reasons:

- If you're using native glass that supports PDAF, AF should be faster on the A7 (but a number of users have actually reported the opposite)
- If you're often working from a tripod and using shutter speeds slower than 1/f, the electronic first shutter curtain of the A7 should significantly reduce vibrations
- If you're shooting RAW and your workstation doesn't feature beefy CPUs, you may find dealing with 36MP files slower than you'd like

Having both cameras would allow you to pick the one best suited for the job. I have decided that the A7R is right for me, since I'm using it exclusively with MF lenses.

iiiNelson

It is mostly a matter economics for me. If I can, I would buy another A7R for my various projects and experiments which the camera may or may not survive. ;)

I am "hoping" this thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49466-a7r-why-im-not-keeping.html will make a few sell their A7/7R and I can get a low mileage A7 or 7R for ~30% less. :D

Hurrah to mushy corners and color shifts! :salute:
Yeah... I plan to use both as a "best of both worlds" situation.

Regarding the A7/r sensors (the corner performance, color shifting, and vignetting) - there's no possible way it could be a matter of whether that "perfect" lens was actually "perfect" or just software corrected. It couldn't possibly be a matter of the flaws of imperfect lens design being exposed on a non-native body... We should just all return them and proclaim them trash because they don't have a Red Dot, Hermes edition, are sold for under $3000, and don't work well with any M-mount lenses when shooting white or brick walls. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fotografz

I think it may be possible for a wedding/event shooter like myself to use the two different A7s since I have to have at least two cameras anyway.

A7 for the faster paced AF candid work, A7R for more studied work that would benefit from additional resolution: portraits, formals and group shots.

It would lessen the load considerably.

I personally wouldn't do it now because my A99 SLT is a more fully featured camera with two things I dearly miss in the A7s: In-camera Image stabilization, and dual SD card parallel RAW capture (invaluable security). I also have come to like and use the amazing articulated LCD on the A99. I think the A99 is an unsung piece of photographic engineering that I've come to appreciate more and more as time goes on, and is pretty compact for all that it does. I'd love a 54 meg version of it.

- Marc

kuau

Workshop Member
Marc,
Glad to see there are still a few A99 users. I am for sure keeping mine yet have decided to rent the A7 just to see what all the hubbub is all about.

Got to love GETDPI, before the A7 the Sony forum was all but dead, now look at it.
A lot of action here:ROTFL: