The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r histogram in image review?

gurtch

I am very frustrated. I have had the camera for 6 days and the instruction manual is, in my opinion, awful. I looked in the index under the letter "F", looking for the word "Format", and it is not there! Nowhere in the ENTIRE manual does it tell you how to format a memory card, the first thing I usually do with a new camera. Enough of my rant. I want to be able to take a photo, then look at the review screen, and see a histogram, along with the image I just shot. And I would like to be able to see histogram superimposed, and switch to a full frame view of the image only. How do I do this ?
Thanks in advance.
Dave in NJ

GrahamB

The user manual is rather brief. The "help" manual is more in depth. Format is mentioned, but it doesn't provide a detailed answer.

Format is under the "suitcase" (setup) icon, page 5.

Review an image with the "arrow" button on the back bottom of the camera. The various display modes are actuated with the display button (back wheel, press top). Zoom is the C2 button.

Graham

Gbealnz

Ah, beat me to it Graham, yes, Setup, page 5.

And yes again. View the image with the "Play" button bottom right of the camera back. Once in "View" mode, so looking at your images, you then press the round control wheel at the top, where it says "Display". This will scroll you through three options, one being the ability to view the image, with a histogram.

I'm afraid I am leaning to the "Slack" thinking, mine is for sale locally. If it sells, I will make do for a while.
Gary

gurtch

Thanks, I was aware of the playback, then using the display to see the three options, including histogram, but is it possible to see histogram on the screen that shows what I just photographed? On my Nikon, I shoot a picture, and the review screen comes up with histogram. I can also change the review screen to other options.
Thanks again
Dave

GrahamB

Turn on "auto review", using one of the time settings. It's located under the (menu) gear icon, page one.

I leave my auto review off. It's a power drain, and if one uses "setting effect" on, one see the finished image before ever making the shot.

Graham

I have owned the RX1 since it came out and just received the A7R. Unfortunately, the A7R histogram during image review is the same as on the RX1. The histogram is only visible in a review mode which shows a very small RGB histogram along with a small version of the image and associated settings (e.g, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.).

I really wished the Sony allowed image review settings similar to my Leica S2. My S2 image review shows the image over the entire LCD with basic settings such as image number, shutter speed, f stop, and ISO across the top and the histogram overlaid across the bottom portion of the image. The histogram takes up the full width of the screen so it is large and easy to see but still allows the visibility of the image.

gurtch

Thanks all. I agree with Mark, most of my other cameras allow a full screen image with histogram.
Dave

Chris C

……. histogram is only visible in a review mode which shows a very small RGB histogram along with a small version of the image and associated settings (e.g, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.)………..
Oh crap. It looks like the engineers went down the pub and left the village idiot to finish off the menus. It appears the damned menus are getting in the way of the camera, I want the sensor; but without the daft usability it comes with. I wish camera makers would stop wrecking their cameras with lousy usability.

Damn; Jono could be right after all.

……………. Chris

Ron Pfister

Let's keep calm, everyone. Sony's NEX and RX cams have worked this way for as long as they've been around, so this shouldn't come as a surprise. While a larger overlaid histogram would be nice, its absence certainly doesn't prevent one from taking good images. I find the NEXes and the A7R a joy to use. As with every camera brand, it takes familiarizing oneself with its idiosyncrasies, and then all's well. There's no such thing as a perfect camera...

GrahamB

I understand people coming from OVF cameras to the a7(R) putting great importance in the histogram. Before I started using Sony EVF's several years ago, I too relied on the histogram.

The a7(R) histogram may be displayed in live view, both on the EVF and LCD. The "setting effect" of Sony's EVF's make the histogram largely unnecessary. One literally gets WYSIWYG output.

When I started shooting with Sony's EVF cameras, I displayed the histogram when shooting. After reviewing many images in post, I found I could trust the EVF to show me the exposed image before I shot it. I now only display the level overlay, and have "auto review" turned off.

The only reason not to leave "setting effect" on, is when using flash.

As far as grousing about the menus, I don't see the problem. The a7(R) menus are very similar to Sony's alpha mount cameras, which I find very easy to navigate and generally receive good marks from reviewers. The OP of this thread could have easily answered his own questions with a little effort, even without the manual.

I've been delighted with my a7r in the 4 days I've had it in hand. The images are fantastic, and the camera has operated without glitch. My biggest quibble is the sensitivity of the shutter button. One must not have one's finger even lightly touching the button when using the focus magnify. I also hope Sony in the next firmware update will eliminate the flashing "f" (aperture) when using alternative non-chipped lenses.

Graham