The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/A7R - Suggestions for Improvements

Ron Pfister

I'm starting this thread so we can collect all suggestions for improvements for the Sony A7 and A7R in one place. This way, Sony can find all of this information in one place, if they care to look for it.

I think it would be best if we didn't start lengthy discussions within this thread. Instead, please vote for each suggestion by liking it, but feel free to ask for clarifications, if needed.

Also, please state which camera your suggestions refers to.

Thanks in advance for everyone's input! :thumbup:

Ron Pfister

I'll make a start:

I think it would be great if the A7/A7R would be supplied with a 'My Menu' screen, to which any existing menu item could be assigned (e.g. memory card formatting, date and time settings, etc.). It would be great if the 'Fn' button could be configured to bring this customized menu up by default.

Ron Pfister

Sorry, Vivek - I missed that. However, I'd not only like to gather information regarding bugs, but also feature requests. Which thread shall we stick with?

GrahamB

The blinking aperture (f) when using a non-chipped alternative lens. Sony, please make it stop.

When one is using focus magnify, the slightest touch of the shutter button cancels the magnify. I don't know that Sony can do anything about this, I suspect I'll have to alter my shooting technique.

Enable the lcd to be completely turned off (rather than blacked out). A key option to toggle between the EVF and lcd should go along with this.

Graham

algrove

Put a thread in the shutter button so that we can use normal cable releases like the RX-1 has. Got the RM-VPR1 working finally

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
i haven't tried it, but supposedly you can trigger the shutter via wireless with the sony app

scho

i haven't tried it, but supposedly you can trigger the shutter via wireless with the sony app
Doesn't work on my MBA and OS 10.9 because the software cannot find the camera. The Sony Playmemories software does connect and works, but neither the sony remote release or wireless transfer apps are finding the A7R with my setup. I submitted a ticket with Sony support.

Ron Pfister

Make the exposure bracketing options independent from the 'Drive Mode' menu. I would like to be able to use bracketing at the same time as the self-timer when working from a tripod.

Ron Pfister

Add 3, 4 and 5 second options to the self-timer for use with long lenses from a tripod

Edit: the 2 and 10 second settings should remain as-is.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

When using the self-timer of the A7R, the shutter curtain should close immediately when pressing the shutter release in order to minimize camera shake during exposure. Currently, the shutter closes, then opens and closes for exposure, and then opens again for live view, all in quick succession.

Rawfa

- More lenses should be updated to support Phase AF
- Remove the "Running on NTSC" msg EVERYTIME I turn the camera on after I´ve selected NTSC to get 24p! This is the most anoying thing EVER!
- Allow for minimum and maximum iso in auto mode.
- Don´t change my picture profile settings when I move to auto
- 4K video :)

The rest really cannot be fixed via firmware:
- In camera battery charging (I had to buy an external charger)
- The flaps for the inputs feel extremely fragile
- The Ultra super micro HDMI output is ridiculous

GrahamB

Truly lossless RAW-compression (like in A900) with full 14-bit depth.
I'm far from satisfied that the current RAW isn't lossless.

Paul Genge, Category Development Manager with Sony when the a77 was introduced, was specifically asked about the new raw introduced with that model. He explained the algorithm was more efficient, negating the need for a compressed raw.

Sony used the same raw on it's a99 full frame, and it's continued on the a7's.

Graham